Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
No never feel comfortable clicking on links in sigs.But I did think about clicking on yours once or twice.

Promise I will get around to it cause I love ya kid.

Aw shucks, thanks! I recommend the one that says it is the website. The top one, the big one, is a link to the My Space site. The one under that is the actual site with the reviews that have been in the print 'zines and the new reviews for the website. There is also a link there for the podcast I do.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Rise Against - Audience of One

Finally a Rise Against song I really like. Mainly because it doesnt follow the same "Quiet Quiet YELL YELL!! Slow Slow Fast Fast" formula ALL their songs usually follow....

The Album as a whole is pretty solid but that one song definitely stands out as being the best on the album (imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
The Album as a whole is pretty solid but that one song definitely stands out as being the best on the album (imo).

Well, now I hate it....

Drive By Truckers and The Hold Steady TONIGHT in Louisville!!!!

We've got 7 hours total of driving in front of us, but I'll be back at about 2 AM for a full (drunken) report on how awesome it was. Supposedly the bands are planning to appear on stage together for a couple of songs.

I wish I had shown up an hour later and just seen The Hold Steady then Patterson Hood play like 6 covers up there on stage with THS. It's not that Drive-By Truckers were bad, it's just they've embraced this Lynyrd Skynyrd knockoff sound that hicks flock to. It was kind of sad, because all the things that make DBT different from your run-of-the-mill southern rock snooze just evaporates in the live show and they turn into a cheesy cliche. Part of this "rural" crowd might have come from me going to see a show in Louisville (which is so small we couldn't even get lost in it btw).

The Hold Steady closed and they were great, I've seen them a few times now and this was by far the best. They had a really Seperation Sunday heavy setlist, I think they came 2 songs short of playing the entire album, so if you're planning on catching them on this tour you might want to listen to that one a few more times. Craig brought a lot of energy, but anybodies who seen The Hold Steady knows that. They did have some sound issues and Tad Kubler got lost on the setlist a few times.

It was worth $30, but I'd prefer to see them somewhere were the old people aren't being drunken wet blankets during both sets. I would definitely make sure I'd catch a show that The Hold Steady are closing too... the final encore was insane.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:33 AM)
I wish I had shown up an hour later and just seen The Hold Steady then Patterson Hood play like 6 covers up there on stage with THS. It's not that Drive-By Truckers were bad, it's just they've embraced this Lynyrd Skynyrd knockoff sound that hicks flock to. It was kind of sad, because all the things that make DBT different from your run-of-the-mill southern rock snooze just evaporates in the live show and they turn into a cheesy cliche. Part of this "rural" crowd might have come from me going to see a show in Louisville (which is so small we couldn't even get lost in it btw).

The Hold Steady closed and they were great, I've seen them a few times now and this was by far the best. They had a really Seperation Sunday heavy setlist, I think they came 2 songs short of playing the entire album, so if you're planning on catching them on this tour you might want to listen to that one a few more times. Craig brought a lot of energy, but anybodies who seen The Hold Steady knows that. They did have some sound issues and Tad Kubler got lost on the setlist a few times.

It was worth $30, but I'd prefer to see them somewhere were the old people aren't being drunken wet blankets during both sets. I would definitely make sure I'd catch a show that The Hold Steady are closing too... the final encore was insane.

'And if she says we partied, than I'm pretty sure we partied,

I really don't remember,

I remember we departed from our bodies

we woke up in New York City

and we're The Hold Steady"

Am I close?

I was sitting in Starbucks this morning and the down tempo, acoustic overhead music caught my ear for some reason. The woman's voice was familiar and the lyrics were too for some reason. And then:

She bop--he bop--a--we bop

I bop--you bop--a--they bop

Be bop--be bop--a--lu--she bop

Cindy Lauper remade an acoustic version of this. It would be like replacing s*** with vomit.

'And if she says we partied, than I'm pretty sure we partied,

I really don't remember,

I remember we departed from our bodies

we woke up in New York City

and we're The Hold Steady"

Am I close?

Well yeah they closed with Killer Parties, but there was so much more than that. Patterson Hood played a lot of songs with them.

Just getting in from seeing Lupe Fiasco @ the Congress. As usual, he didn't disappoint. IMO, it's crazy how much rap sounds with a live band.

The show was filmed for a DVD, so I can't wait to pick that up. He also announced that his last album will be a triple-disc...insane.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
Just getting in from seeing Lupe Fiasco @ the Congress. As usual, he didn't disappoint. IMO, it's crazy how much rap sounds with a live band.

The show was filmed for a DVD, so I can't wait to pick that up. He also announced that his last album will be a triple-disc...insane.

The show was insane!!! My first time seeing him too. Wow, he puts so much energy into his performances. He also went off about how Chicago is the murder capital of the nation with many expletives which shocked everyone in the crowd. He gave a moment of silence to Jennifer Hudson and family as well as a little campaigning for Obama. I would rather LupE.N.D. be separate albums than a triple album.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
The show was insane!!! My first time seeing him too. Wow, he puts so much energy into his performances. He also went off about how Chicago is the murder capital of the nation with many expletives which shocked everyone in the crowd. He gave a moment of silence to Jennifer Hudson and family as well as a little campaigning for Obama. I would rather LupE.N.D. be separate albums than a triple album.

IMO, his "sermon" is what stole the show. You could tell that was legit. But I more than got my money's worth. I do think that LupE.N.D. will be more of 3 separate albums instead of an album that's 3 discs long.

But frankly, i'm a little more excited that he may be recording the album at a studio that i'm currently working at.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)
IMO, his "sermon" is what stole the show. You could tell that was legit. But I more than got my money's worth. I do think that LupE.N.D. will be more of 3 separate albums instead of an album that's 3 discs long.

But frankly, i'm a little more excited that he may be recording the album at a studio that i'm currently working at.

I believe its supposed to triple disc album released all at once.

While his speech was really really good, I wish it could have come more in the middle of the show kind of like an intermission. Concerts usually escalate in energy while the speech kind of brought the hype down and then jumping into his last song was awkward. I believe American Terrorists would have been a perfect song after his little speech.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
I believe its supposed to triple disc album released all at once.

Oh I know, I meant that each disc would have it's own "theme" making it more like 3 separate albums released together.

The Hold Steady & Patterson Hood - Burnin' For You (Blue Oyster Cult Cover)

SETLIST:

Stay Positive

Constructive Summer

Multitude of Casualties

The Swish

You Can Make Him Like You

Navy Sheets (w/ Patterson Hood on backing vocals)

Chips Ahoy

Hornets! Hornets!

Sequestered in Memphis

Cattle and the Creeping Things

Dont Let Me Explode

One for the Cutters

Girls Like Status

Stevie Nix

Ask her for Adderall

Slapped Actress

How a Resurrection Really Feels

Encore:

Stuck Between Stations

Ride On (AC/DC Cover w/ Patterson Hood on guitar)

Most People are DJ's (w/ Patterson Hood on guitar)

Burning for You (Blue Oyster Cult Cover w/ Patterson Hood on vocals)

Killer Parties (w/ Patterson Hood on guitar)