Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Album of the year thus far. This & The Blueprint 3 have been the only albums I've bought this year.

Also, a good quality of the Kid Cudi album leaked today. I was pleasantly surprised.

Disagree with Blueprint 3. Jay has fallen off immensely. All he does is boast saying he's the best and how everyone is trying to copy him and such and everyone else is just ruining hip-hop. Really Jay? The same guy who uses others' lines for his own benefit, the same guy who follows the trend moreso than anyone is calling everyone else a follower? Please. He's hypocritical and he tries to be thought provoking with his lyrics when in reality, he was better off rapping straight from his head, not trying to be witty. Or did he forget that just like he planned on doing most of the Blueprint 3 in autotune? He jumps on whatever is popular and try to claim he had the idea. He's a joke nowadays and his beat selection has gone downhill. J.Cole is better than him and he's supposed to be his protege.

Anyway, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II is a pretty raw album. Album of the year so far. Kid Cudi was nice. To me, it's 808's & Heartbreak done right.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Disagree with Blueprint 3. Jay has fallen off immensely. All he does is boast saying he's the best and how everyone is trying to copy him and such and everyone else is just ruining hip-hop. Really Jay? The same guy who uses others' lines for his own benefit, the same guy who follows the trend moreso than anyone is calling everyone else a follower? Please. He's hypocritical and he tries to be thought provoking with his lyrics when in reality, he was better off rapping straight from his head, not trying to be witty. Or did he forget that just like he planned on doing most of the Blueprint 3 in autotune? He jumps on whatever is popular and try to claim he had the idea. He's a joke nowadays and his beat selection has gone downhill. J.Cole is better than him and he's supposed to be his protege.

Agreed 100%.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)

Anyway, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II is a pretty raw album. Album of the year so far. Kid Cudi was nice. To me, it's 808's & Heartbreak done right.

Not sure what you've read, but from the jump the Blueprint 3 was known as an "anti-autotune" album. Beat selection gone downhill? Do you have a version that I don't have or something?

This just sounds like another rant that I've heard numerous times about this album. I know this isn't Jay-Z at his best, but it's still better than a lot of stuff to come out this year. I don't know if people are expecting the old Jay to come back from somewhere, but I'm pretty sure he isn't. He's almost 40, arguably the most successful rapper to do it & has basically done it all.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 07:26 AM)
Kanye West is a complete idiot. I cannot stick up for him anymore. Referring to the VMA incident last night.

I didn't come here to stick up for him, but just to say I'm still laughing over it. I think I'm laughing more about how "pissed" fans are, he'll apologize & everyone will love him again.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
I didn't come here to stick up for him, but just to say I'm still laughing over it. I think I'm laughing more about how "pissed" fans are, he'll apologize & everyone will love him again.

I'm with you, people seem really upset about this. It was the VMA's. Who cares. It was probably staged anyways.

man people are stupid. Everyone wants their celebrities to be polite and nice, ooh hi i'm benji from good charlotte, I know I have tattoos and dress like a punk but you'd love to take me home to your parents blah blah blah

I'll take Kanye, lady gaga and ODB and any other interesting and outrageous celebrity and you can take your suburban icons and know how much fun you would have going to the mall with them and sharing a nice bubble tea!

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
man people are stupid. Everyone wants their celebrities to be polite and nice, ooh hi i'm benji from good charlotte, I know I have tattoos and dress like a punk but you'd love to take me home to your parents blah blah blah

I'll take Kanye, lady gaga and ODB and any other interesting and outrageous celebrity and you can take your suburban icons and know how much fun you would have going to the mall with them and sharing a nice bubble tea!

Doing what he did last night was inexcusable.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
I'm with you, people seem really upset about this. It was the VMA's. Who cares. It was probably staged anyways.

That's what I thought. He walked the red carpet with a half empty bottle of Hennessy. You'd think they'd have kept a better eye on him as blitzed as he was.

Apparently, he's all about Spinning classes in Manhattan, I'm told these days.

Im not pissed or outraged or demanding an apology, but I felt really bad for Taylor Swift. He took away a moment from her that she will never have again, and basically told everyone she shouldnt have won. Whether you like her as an artist or not, thats totally bush league.

And I can only imagine what Kanye would actually do if someone came up on stage during his moment and pulled that same s***. He can claim all he wants that he gave Outkast his VMA award because he didnt feel like he deserved it, Outkast didnt have a friend jump up on stage with Kanye and tell him he didnt deserve to win it and that Outkast did.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Im not pissed or outraged or demanding an apology, but I felt really bad for Taylor Swift. He took away a moment from her that she will never have again, and basically told everyone she shouldnt have won. Whether you like her as an artist or not, thats totally bush league.

And I can only imagine what Kanye would actually do if someone came up on stage during his moment and pulled that same s***. He can claim all he wants that he gave Outkast his VMA award because he didnt feel like he deserved it, Outkast didnt have a friend jump up on stage with Kanye and tell him he didnt deserve to win it and that Outkast did.

When he jumps up on stage again, they should have this ready to go.

01kanyedifficulties.jpg

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
kwolf, great album as your avatar, by the way. My personal fave Vod release.

Damn right. It's amazing how much better they got between their first album War and Pain, and Killing Technology (third album). The level of development as players, writers, a band as a whole was just mind-blowing. Many of the bands of that genre (although I don't know if VoiVod were in a genre, they were just...well …VoiVod) were like that...at first could barely play their instruments and then seemed to become virtuosos within 2 or 3 records. They always had great ideas, but musically couldn’t pull them off until Killing Technology.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Not sure what you've read, but from the jump the Blueprint 3 was known as an "anti-autotune" album. Beat selection gone downhill? Do you have a version that I don't have or something?

This just sounds like another rant that I've heard numerous times about this album. I know this isn't Jay-Z at his best, but it's still better than a lot of stuff to come out this year. I don't know if people are expecting the old Jay to come back from somewhere, but I'm pretty sure he isn't. He's almost 40, arguably the most successful rapper to do it & has basically done it all.

I read up alot on hip-hop. I'm pretty sure you can google it, but Kanye and Jay-Z were planning to make Blueprint 3 with a ton of autotune and Kanye was supposed to be the only producer on it. Well originally it was going to be Timbaland, Jay went away from him and was going to have Kanye produce the whole thing, and a lot of it was autotune, then Jay and company used other producers after it being delayed and that's how you got the final product.

And it really isn't much better than the stuff out this year. I actually liked Kingdom Come, but he has gone downhill big time. American Gangster was overrated immensely. Blueprint 3 is worse than Blueprint 2 as Blueprint 2 was filled with a ton of filler, but also had much better tracks than this album's best tracks. Meet the Parents > anything on blueprint 3. Last but not least, Jay is over 40 if you didn't know.

Oh yeah, Kanye does need to be punched in the mouth. He took away from a 19 year old girl winning one of her first awards and probably the most popular award for someone their age. He told her she didn't deserve it and ruined her thanking speech. It's not like Taylor stuffed the ballots herself. Honestly, Kanye is dumb for this.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Damn right. It's amazing how much better they got between their first album War and Pain, and Killing Technology (third album). The level of development as players, writers, a band as a whole was just mind-blowing. Many of the bands of that genre (although I don't know if VoiVod were in a genre, they were just...well …VoiVod) were like that...at first could barely play their instruments and then seemed to become virtuosos within 2 or 3 records. They always had great ideas, but musically couldn't pull them off until Killing Technology.

Very much my thoughts exactly. I remember getting War and Pain and also Rrrrooooooaaaarrrr due to raves from Xavier Russel in Kerrang! magazine. I couldn't understand what he liked about them. Then I heard Forgotten In Space on a comp. cassette I had and was instantly blown away.

I was really unimpressed with the Blueprint 3. It just seemed boring and uninspired, like Jay ran out of s*** to talk about. Jay gets a free pass because he's Jay, and because everyone else sucks so bad compared to him even when he is meh.

I said this on facebook and got called a hater. I'm like umm ok I don't really see how I'm "hating" when I own all of his CDs.