4/9 Games

caulfield12

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...cmcaax_biraax_1

4 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K's is the line for Honel so far

Terrero hit his 3rd homer and Vladimir Nunez has a shutout through 6 innings for Charlotte.

BIRMINGHAM, AL – It took until the fifth month of the 2006 season for the Birmingham Barons to string together four consecutive wins. On Monday night at Regions Park, the Barons won their fourth consecutive contest, in their fifth game of the season. Kris Honel, making his first start since August of 2005, was almost untouchable over six scoreless innings, and three different Barons collected three hits in a balanced attack.

Honel, the former first-round draft pick of the White Sox, made his first start in 17 months after missing the entire 2006 season following elbow surgery. His offense gave him an immediate cushion, putting two runs on the board in the first inning for the third consecutive night. After Chris Getz led off the frame with a triple, Chris Kelly and Jeremy West delivered RBI singles to put Birmingham on top.

Honel would take it from there, as he retired 18 of the 20 batters he faced in the ballgame, consistently keeping the Carolina lineup off balance

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...cmcaax_biraax_1

4 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K's is the line for Honel so far

Terrero hit his 3rd homer and Vladimir Nunez has a shutout through 6 innings for Charlotte.

I would say good not great.

Shouldn't this be in the futuresox board?

Charlotte won 3-1. Owens 2-4, 2B, RBI, K. Sweeney 1-3, BB, K. Fields 0-2, RBI, BB. Box Score

Barons won 5-0. Getz 3-5, 3B, RBI, 2 R, SB. Nanita 2-4, RBI, R. Honel 6 IP, 0 R, 4 K, 0 BB, 2 hits Box Score

Winston-Salem won 3-2. Cunningham 1-3, R, BB, K, 2 SB. Rodriguez 5 IP, 2 R. Omogrosso with a 2 inning save. Box Score

Kannapolis won 9-1. Gilbert 2-5, 3B, RBI, 3 R, SB. Allen 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, BB, K. Carter 3-5, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, R, K. Edward 5 IP, 0 R, 3 K, 1 BB, 3 hits. Box Score

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
Charlotte won 3-1. Owens 2-4, 2B, RBI, K. Sweeney 1-3, BB, K. Fields 0-2, RBI, BB. Box Score

Barons won 5-0. Getz 3-5, 3B, RBI, 2 R, SB. Nanita 2-4, RBI, R. Honel 6 IP, 0 R, 4 K, 0 BB, 2 hits Box Score

Winston-Salem won 3-2. Cunningham 1-3, R, BB, K, 2 SB. Rodriguez 5 IP, 2 R. Omogrosso with a 2 inning save. Box Score

Kannapolis won 9-1. Gilbert 2-5, 3B, RBI, 3 R, SB. Allen 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, BB, K. Carter 3-5, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, R, K. Edward 5 IP, 0 R, 3 K, 1 BB, 3 hits. Box Score

Cunningham = stud, I already think next year he enters Baseball America's top 100 prospect list. And it seems like, without looking at our minor league club's records, that they are all doing very solid thru a few games. Most important thing to me is the pitching, tonight our club's had a combined .75 ERA and you can never have to much pitching, so this is all nice to see. Before we annoint Honel back, I would like to see what kind of velocity he was throwing with, but anyways his numbers look very good.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 03:46 AM)
I like seeing Carter with a 3-5 game. That guy has the ability to be a middle of the order MONSTER.

Jason, have you seen Honel or talked to anyone who has seen Honel recently? I'm just wondering about the status of his 'stuff', i.e. if he's still throwing that knucklecurve we heard so much about when he was drafted.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
I like seeing Carter with a 3-5 game. That guy has the ability to be a middle of the order MONSTER.

Hopefully he can put up the numbers he did in rookie ball last season for Kanny this season, because he needs to take that next step.

Wow, if you get a guy like Honel to emerge, along with the arms Kenny aquired, plus the guys like Russell and Egbert who are having coming out parties, and add that to the more polished guys like Broadway and McCulloch... Wow we have some pitching in our system all of the sudden.

Right now I see Carter as a backup CI and power threat off the bench, but if he keeps up putting up good numbers, he could become a force in the middle of a lineup.

I am also excited about Cunningham, he should at least be a 4th OF'er, but he has the potential to be so much more, IMO. I see him as a no. 2 hitter in the future playing LF, but thats just me.

Also, even though he didn't have the best of games last night, Anderson Gomes has had a good opening month so far. Imagine if he could live up to his potential!!! :o

And it is great to see Honel succeed. I remember when he and Malone were our futures in the rotation. But for both of them now, I see their future's being in the pen. With all the arm problems Honel has had, I think it is best to try and minimize the chance of injury, and put him in the pen, but if has worked out his mechanics and there is less of a chance of injury, and he can start with his good veloicty and curve, why not have him try and be a starter. We'd have a stacked pitching farm if these guys can keep pitching like this, and some of them could bring a lot via trade.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
Jason, have you seen Honel or talked to anyone who has seen Honel recently? I'm just wondering about the status of his 'stuff', i.e. if he's still throwing that knucklecurve we heard so much about when he was drafted.

I'm going to let him make a couple starts and work his way into shape and than try to set up an interview and also contact some others to get an outside perspective on his stuff (I'm curious as well, but I think the key is how well he's doing after a few starts as opposed to just one.)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)

Not sure if I am the Jason you were directing this to, but I was not able to make it to Monday's game. Until the end of this month, I am teaching on Monday and Wednesday nights, but I did listen to about an hour of the radio broadcast. Honel's knuckle-curve was mentioned a couple of times. He had a pretty good outing that night. I hope he stays healthy this year.