IS BA trade bait

Jimbo's Drinker

I don't like hearing about Dye needed to be moved over so we can have a Podsednik/Anderson/Erstad lineup. Sure Dye's not what he was out there anymore, but taking his bat away from this lineup will affect this team. Dye's had a slow 6 games this year, but he had a monster year last year. Anything near his production last year will be great.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't like hearing about Dye needed to be moved over so we can have a Podsednik/Anderson/Erstad lineup. Sure Dye's not what he was out there anymore, but taking his bat away from this lineup will affect this team. Dye's had a slow 6 games this year, but he had a monster year last year. Anything near his production last year will be great.

Then read more closely. We're talking about late defensive replacements, not benching him entirely.

Each day I keep wondering if BA was caught in bed with mrs. Guillen

There is no point of having B.A on the roster right now. I thought he would at least be used as a defensive replacement, but I keeps seeing Pods and Dye in the late innings. Whoever said Eduardo Perez would look good on this team right now is right on.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
Maybe they do like Terrero equally (to BA)...it's not like there is a HUGE age difference between the two.

I don't think he'll ever be able to hit more than .240 in the big leagues, but .240 with 15 homers and 60 RBI's would be fine, as long as he played defense the way we all know he's capable of playing.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Luis-Terrero.shtml

Terrero just turned 27, and both Luis and BA have the same concerns surrounding them. They're not hitting enough home runs, and neither are true stolen base threats either. If you don't have great speed or power (like Erstad at this point in his career), you have to make up for it by playing fundamentally sound baseball and hustling.

Brian Anderson simply doesn't profile as a "small ball" type of player. And I'm not sure that he ever will. It will be interesting to see our starting OF next year, to say the least.

Outside of Scotty Pods, who really does in this organization? We seem to pretend to be all about the small ball but last time I checked, we didn't win yesterday's game with ducksnorts and suicide squeezes.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
Outside of Scotty Pods, who really does in this organization? We seem to pretend to be all about the small ball but last time I checked, we didn't win yesterday's game with ducksnorts and suicide squeezes.

Actually, we were 1-4 in bunting yesterday.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
How do you even know he's the future? Do you know if he's any good? He had a disappointing season at the plate last year and he's not getting any playing time right now, how do you know what you have in him? How does keeping him on the bench help his development or help with any future personnel decisions in the outfield? Is Luis Terrero not capable of sitting on is ass 6 games a week?

Well, as I'm currently not employed by the Sox, I can't say for certain he's the future. Sure, he struggled at the plate, but his defense is way above average and he's shown improvement this spring at the plate and with his approach. Keeping him on the bench may or may not not be the best for his development at this point -- it's arguable. But it's best for the team. That's more relevant to me. And I think it would be a huge mistake to give up on him now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Using Anderson in CF and moving Erstad to either corner in the 8th/9th inning improves the defense 2 fold.

another good reason to have him on the bench

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Well, as I'm currently not employed by the Sox, I can't say for certain he's the future. Sure, he struggled at the plate, but his defense is way above average and he's shown improvement this spring at the plate and with his approach. Keeping him on the bench may or may not not be the best for his development at this point -- it's arguable. But it's best for the team. That's more relevant to me. And I think it would be a huge mistake to give up on him now.

another good reason to have him on the bench

He hasn't been used ONCE as a defensive replacement through the first 6 games. That's my point. Ozzie has had ample opportunities to use Anderson late in games and has yet to do it, I don't really see why he would suddenly change his approach a few weeks in.

Anderson spent 1 season at AAA and was then platooned for an entire season in the majors, there's no doubt in my mind that he needs ABs. He doesn't have a whole lot of experience beyond AA, he needs to be getting 350+ ABs this year to work on his swing. Maybe I just don't understand how he's supposed to improve at the plate if the only live pitching he's seeing is during BP or in the cages between innings.

It's not about giving up on his at all, it's about using Terrero in the 25th man role instead of a player the Sox are counting on for the future. How is swapping Anderson for Terrero going to hurt the team at all? Terrero is an above average defender, he can handle pinch running and then playing an inning in CF once a week while Brian plays everyday at Charlotte.

I think almost all of us who thought BA was getting a bad shake in terms of the CF 'competition' would rather see him getting ABs everyday in AAA instead of Ozzie keeping him on the team because KW wants him up...just not ever using him despite MANY chances to.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
I think almost all of us who thought BA was getting a bad shake in terms of the CF 'competition' would rather see him getting ABs everyday in AAA instead of Ozzie keeping him on the team because KW wants him up...just not ever using him despite MANY chances to.

I know I'd rather see him in AAA.

His batting is not going to get any better sitting on the bench, and it may actually get worse. Then, when Ozzie does decide to use him on the rare occasion, he won't hit well. Oz will then that use as evidence to continue benching him.

BA needs some consistent AB's. If he's not getting them in the majors, he needs to be sent to AAA.

not to defend Ozzie in this situation, because regarding BA, I don't think there is any defense. However, long term, are limited major league at bats - say 250 over the course of a season - more useful in terms of success as opposed to 500 in the minors?

Obviously, Anderson's on pace for about 100 ABs, so he should be in AAA regardless of that, but I'm more or less just trying for opinions right now to see if he is theoretically in the right spot right now.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
not to defend Ozzie in this situation, because regarding BA, I don't think there is any defense. However, long term, are limited major league at bats - say 250 over the course of a season - more useful in terms of success as opposed to 500 in the minors?

Obviously, Anderson's on pace for about 100 ABs, so he should be in AAA regardless of that, but I'm more or less just trying for opinions right now to see if he is theoretically in the right spot right now.

If he were being used in a platoon in CF this year I'd have no problem, 250-300 ABs at the major league level will do him good but considering the circumstances I don't see BA getting anywhere near that man at bats unless Erstad or Pods go down with an injury and if that happens then he can be called up at the time of the injury anyway. 1-4 AB a week at the major league level is only going to hurt his offensive progression especially when he could be getting 15-20 a week at Charlotte.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
If he were being used in a platoon in CF this year I'd have no problem, 250-300 ABs at the major league level will do him good but considering the circumstances I don't see BA getting anywhere near that man at bats unless Erstad or Pods go down with an injury and if that happens then he can be called up at the time of the injury anyway. 1-4 AB a week at the major league level is only going to hurt his offensive progression especially when he could be getting 15-20 a week at Charlotte.

K, was just making sure my thinking wasn't completely inane.

And I of course agree with that line of though.

QUOTE(effectivelywild @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
I'm not sure BA is trade bait. I'm not sure he's a bench player, really. As far as I can tell, he's Ozzie's own personal trophy b****, there to demonstrate what happens to skilled players who fall out of his graces.

what right do you have to say Brian Anderson is skilled, he hasn't proven that at the big league level yet

(cuz he of course has not had the proper opportunity to do so)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
I still don't understand why the best defensive outfielder on this team isn't being used as a defensive replacement late in games. They're sticking with a Pods/Erstad/Dye outfield in the 8th and 9th innings instead of taking advantage of his skills. I just don't get it. Pods should NEVER be in LF as late as the 9th, he has no arm and no clue.

Ahem

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
what right do you have to say Brian Anderson is skilled, he hasn't proven that at the big league level yet

(cuz he of course has not had the proper opportunity to do so)

I'd bet that if he was given the opportunity to start, he'd outperform Erstad by a wide margin in terms of OPS.