Oh Imus...

Jenksismyhero

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to "Imus Gate?"

• Reactons have been spot on
    • Eh, a slight overreaction by the media/sponsors/etc
    • Are you serious? All this for a comment?
    • Undecided

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
All I've seen is that after he speaks to the Rutgers team he's done talking about it.

that was before CBS canned him and when he said he wasn't going to do the talk show circuit to discuss it. Now that he's been sacked I'm sure he'll be rethinking the self-imposed gag order.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
that was before CBS canned him and when he said he wasn't going to do the talk show circuit to discuss it. Now that he's been sacked I'm sure he'll be rethinking the self-imposed gag order.

I wish he would keep the gag in.

Washed-up hack.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
Id it'd send a great message to the companies carrying Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter, and their ilk; keep giving these people airtime and expect to be really burned eventually.

and companies that carry Rosie O'Donnell, Randy Rhodes, Keith Olbermann and John Stewart... oh wait, that would be stupid. just like being scared to have Rush LImbough on the radio because he might offend someone is stupid.

Edited by mr_genius

If you want to get mad at somebody, get mad at the advertisers. They are the ONLY reason Imus was fired, which is another sad statement about this country. To me, EVERYBODY is the bad guy; Imus for what he said, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for still have pulses and voice boxes, the entire Rutgers team for that abomination of a press conference, CBS AND MSNBC for firing Imus due to pressure from the media and sponsors, not what he said, and so on. I honestly think that EVERYBODY in this case is both wrong and out of their mind in certain regards, a true sign that racism in this country may well always exist, and that's a damn shame.

It is completely ridiculous, but hey, it is the world we live in today, especially with people like Sharpton and Jackson around. Hey, if you are not "PC", this is gonna happen to you.

And also, to the Rutgers team, suck it up ladies! So what, someone said you looked like ho's or something like that. That is one man's opinon. If you are going to react like that, you should go to every doorstep in America asking them what they think as well. If you really want to be the bigger people, you would not have whinned like little babies, who cares what someone said about you. Be the bigger people...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
While it is always dangerous to compare two disimilar events, in this case the parallels are compelling. Great post.

The idea not mine (but the words are), but thanks anyway.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
So, for the people who are genuinely pissed off about this...I want an answer to a simple question. What positive thing does Don Imus and this sort of talk bring to our nation or its discourse?

I just read back through this thread, and almost every argument out there was that "Oh, Mr. Imus isn't as bad as x" where x is Al Sharpton, rap artists, the PC police, the media, whatever.

So, let's say for a moment that I don't care about where each one's problems fit on your personal value scale. I don't care whether you think hip-hop artists do worse, whether or not Jesse Jackson's affair is worse, or whether or not this was the worst thing said on the Radio this week (I'm sure Beck, Savage, and a few others top it every 5 minutes).

Tell me what positive thing he contributed such that I should be saddened by the loss of his show. Give me something other than the ol "Oh he did it too!" and I'll consider being mad about this. Until then, I will continue to think that in some small way, our nation just was improved.

So as long as something improves the nation its OK? You can't be serious. It doesn't matter whether he contributes something positive or not. Heck spying on Americans can catch terrorists, and not having American die is positive right? So you are cool with giving up your freedoms of privacy and speech then?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:15 AM)
So as long as something improves the nation its OK? You can't be serious. It doesn't matter whether he contributes something positive or not. Heck spying on Americans can catch terrorists, and not having American die is positive right? So you are cool with giving up your freedoms of privacy and speech then?

Hey, man, if ya ain't got nothin' to hide, why would ya mind them spyin' on ya?

[/short-sighted, missing-the-bigger-picture response]

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:15 AM)

Oh it's time for me to remind everybody of my favorite quote yet again:

"Those willing to give up essential liberties in order for personal security deserve neither". -Benjamin Franklin

Even when it comes to sports figures, I always feel bad campaigning for someone to lose their job.

But especially with Imus. Personally I just don't like Imus, but I don't think he deserved to be fired.

His mistake may have been to open his show up to Sharpton. If he had been suspended that day and then came back in two weeks, this would have been a blip. But once the cameras and all starting covering hypocritical, opportunist extortionists like Sharpton and Jackson, Imus was sunk.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Even when it comes to sports figures, I always feel bad campaigning for someone to lose their job.

But especially with Imus. Personally I just don't like Imus, but I don't think he deserved to be fired.

His mistake may have been to open his show up to Sharpton. If he had been suspended that day and then came back in two weeks, this would have been a blip. But once the cameras and all starting covering hypocritical, opportunist extortionists like Sharpton and Jackson, Imus was sunk.

nah damned if you do damned if you don't. If he didn't face the music. It would have still went on. As soon as Sharpton and Jesse were involved, you knew it was over.

I guess it should be noted that this isn't the first time that he's gotten into hot water over this. There was an exchange with Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune seven years ago where he pledged to never refer to black women as "hos" again. This wasn't the first time that he's violated this pledge.

I think the real reason Imus lost his job is that his bosses weren't adept enough at handling the controversy. When this first firestorm started brewing, they should have punished him immediately like a week ago instead of Wednesday. A two week suspension was definitely appropriate, in this case. However, letting the I-man twist in the wind before announcing the punishment made everything seem insincere.

I think its appropriate for him to lose his MSNBC gig. It makes no sense to put someone using shock jock humor in a morning news gig. However, the radio show firing is somewhat ridiculous - but not unheard of.

When you base your life's work on insulting people (which is what he does) eventually that will bite you in the ass.

Ah finally sanity. Guess who said this...

“We, [deleted], accept — accept — Mr. Imus’ apology, and we are in the process of forgiving,”

“We still find his statements to be unacceptable, and this is an experience that we will never forget,”

“These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture,” “It is not just Mr. Imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change. Let us continue to work hard together to make this world a better place.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18089620/

Yeah, it wasn't either of the esteemed reverends who have been chasing this around, it was the Rutgers women's coach C. Vivian Stringer. Kudos to her for trying to make a positive change here, instead of festering the situation for her own gain.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
When you base your life's work on insulting people (which is what he does) eventually that will bite you in the ass.

That's exactly the conclusion I reached. If the basis for your paycheck is busting other people's chops, don't be surprised if your chops get busted.

I haven't read this entire thread because I about gagged after reading a few responses. I find it amazing that people can just shrug their shoulders at his comments. Basically, you people think "well, he said it. it was wrong. BFD. Get over it." Never mind that he's been getting away with this crap for years. never mind that Mike Wallace confronted him in a 60 Minutes interview about him hiring his producer to "tell n**** jokes". Never mind that he's been comparing blacks to monkeys for years. All you care about is how the media made it a bigger deal than it was, or how Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson led the charge to have him ousted, or how gansta rap is full of references to b****** and ho's. Answer this simple question: what the hell did the ladies of Rutgers do to deserve this? Most of them probably had no idea who the hell Don Imus was before this incident, yet they have to hear or read about him calling them nappy headed ho's on his nationally syndicated radio show. As a black parent, if one of these ladies was my child, I would be extremely pissed off. As a black man, I am extremely pissed off.

But here's the deal: you shouldn't have to be black or a woman to be offended by his remarks. I don't like having Sharpton and Jackson as leaders for the black community, but I also don't have a problem with them making this an issue. As extreme as they are, they still have an audience. If the media doesn't make this an issue, then when does it get addressed? In regards to the person who said the ladies of Rutgers shouldn't have made a big deal of it, that it's only words, when does it become a big deal? When someone actually calls them a n***** on the air? Racism is alive an well here in the US. is the media supposed to just ignore when someone with the following Imus has makes disparaging comments about a group of people? Are they supposed to just look away? I applaud the handling of this situation. Just remember: before this got blown up, Imus himself didn't see the big deal. He wasn't remoseful or apologetic right after he made those remarks. He didn't offer any apologies until he realized he may be in danger of losing his job. I for one am glad he got fired. MSNBC and CBS may have only done it because Imus was no longer marketable for them, but they did it nonetheless.

Edited by spawn

QUOTE(spawn @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
I haven't read this entire thread becasue I about gagged after reading a few responses. I find it amazing that people can just shrug their shoulders at his comments. Basically, you people think "well, he said it. it was arong. BFD. Get over it." Never mind that he's been getting away with this crap for years. never mind that Mike Wallace confronted him in a 60 Minutes interview about him hiring his producer to "tell n**** jokes". Never mind that he's been comparing blacks to monkeys for years. All you care about is how the media made it a bigger deal than it was, or how Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson led the charge to have him ousted, or how gansta rap is full of references to b****** and ho's. Answer this simple question: what the hell did the ladies of Rutgers do to deserve this? Most of them probably had no idea who the hell Don Imus was before this incident, yet they have to hear or read about him calling them nappy headed ho's on his nationally syndicated radio show. As a black parent, if one of these ladies was my child, I would be extremely pissed off. As a black man, I am extremely pissed off.

But here's the deal: you shouldn't have to be black or a woman to be offended by his remarks. I don't like having Sharpton and Jackson as leaders for the black community, but I also don't have a problem with them making this an issue. As extreme as they are, they still have an audience. If the media doesn't make this an issue, then when does it get addressed? In regards to the person who said the ladies of Rutgers shouldn't have made a big deal of it, that it's only words, when does it become a big deal? When someone actually calls them a n***** on the air? Racism is alive an well here in the US. is the media supposed to just ignore when someone with the following Imus has makes disparaging comments about a group of people? Are they supposed to just look away? I applaud the handling of this situation. Just remember: before this got blown up, Imus himself didn't see the big deal. He wasn't remoseful or apologetic right after he made those remarks. He didn't offer any apologies until he realized he may be in danger of losing his job. I for one am glad he got fired. MSNBC and CBS may have only done it because Imus was no longer marketable for them, but they did it nonetheless.

:notworthy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he called them a name. OMG! What if someone called you a name today? Would you be "scarred for life"? Thank God no one here has ever been called names. I'm getting just a little sick by people blowing this s*** all out of proportion. He called them a name. I suggest everyone here that thinks he's the antiChrist examine their lives and if they called anyone a name, punish themselves as bad as Imus is getting puinished. Hell, if it was that bad, it would be illegal, We have laws for everything else.

My God, when a dyed in the wool Democrat writes thte above, you know it's over the top.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he called them a name. OMG! What if someone called you a name today? Would you be "scarred for life"? Thank God no one here has ever been called names. I'm getting just a little sick by people blowing this s*** all out of proportion. He called them a name. I suggest everyone here that thinks he's the antiChrist examine their lives and if they called anyone a name, punish themselves as bad as Imus is getting puinished. Hell, if it was that bad, it would be illegal, We have laws for everything else.

Again I ask: what did these women do to deserve this? As far as being called a name...it was racist. It was mysogenistic. And it wasn't necessary. I went to school in Louisiana, And was called a n***** to my face. It is demeaning. It is cruel. And I wondered what I did to deserve it. I didn't know the person that called me that. But it hurt. And it scarred me. It does to this day. Yes, it's only a word. But there is so much histroy and hatred behind it. You amy not think being called a "nappy headed ho" is a big thing, but to these women it was. Just because you don't think they should take offense to it doesn't make you right.

Edited by spawn