Brian Anderson: New Thread

LVSoxFan

I've been watching this go on here for months. On its surface, it's a good question. Why do we have this guy riding the bench if he needs at bats to get better?

Is it because we just want to hold on to him as a backup in case Erstadt goes down?

Or, if he needs at-bats and he's a potential backup for E., wouldn't we just send him down to triple AAA and call him up if necessary?

My question is: what would be the best way to use him? I know he doesn't want to be in AAA, but wouldn't that be preferable to sitting around most of the time, if he is indeed our CF of the future?

This isn't meant to be a thread on whether he sucks or not, whether he's overrated or not, whether certain trades were worth it or not, but simply: if you were Ozzie, how would you use him?

I realize there's the Brian/Winterball thread, I'm just trying to get a consensus here as that's all over the place at this point.

Edited by LVSoxFan

IMO he should be starting and hitting 9th. If not, he should be in AAA getting at bats everyday, this is especially true if he's not even going to get into games as a defensive replacement, in say oh...the 9th inning of a game in Oakland. He is being used so wrong right now, it's ridiculous.

I think that by using Erstad as the starter and Anderson on the bench--or more accurately not using--it's the worst of both worlds.

First, because in a late-inning pressure situation I would want Erstad over BA as a pinch hitter.

Second, because Anderson is rotting in the dugout with hardly any playing time at all and he is the best defensive OF on the team. I think that batting him 8th with a little protection from someone like Uribe, Crede, or Iguchi would at least get him some better pitches to hit.

Erstad is not the butcher in CF that Mackowiak was last year, but this is the second year in a row Ozzie is stunting the growth of Brian Anderson to play someone that didn't outperform him in ST. Attitude or not, he should be putting his best team out on the field, not punishing people he's decided he doesn't like.

Edited by Drew

Plan A:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)
As the starting centerfielder and 9 hole hitter with Erstad coming off the bench, being used as a 4th OF/1B just as he was signed to do.

Plan B:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
IMO he should be starting and hitting 9th. If not, he should be in AAA getting at bats everyday, this is especially true if he's not even going to get into games as a defensive replacement, in say oh...the 9th inning of a game in Oakland. He is being used so wrong right now, it's ridiculous.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
So you'd start Anderson and use Erstad as the bench guy. Have I got that right?

Yes

I do like the idea of having no discussion in this thread, there's enough of that in the 10 other threads about this subject on the front page PHT.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)

Exactly. Apparently he isnt going to start though ,so he should be in AAA, and Terrero should be the 4th OF'er

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
I don't care what they do with him, I'm just real tired of seeing his name at this point.

He's the new Brandon McCarthy.

I agree. It's apparent Anderson and Ozzie can't coexist. Get rid of one or the other, or both for all I care. I'm just sick of the whole Ozzie/Anderson soap opera. It's not good for the Sox or Anderson.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I hear that. Sorry about the thread.

I just wanted to come to some conclusion on all this, since he's been the Imus story of soxtalk.

;)

No need to apologize.

You know the saying:

Don't Hate The Poster, Hate The Post!

:D

I'm sick of BA talk. I wish we'd send him down, out of sight out of mind.

That said I think he's a better option than Erstad but I'm no dummy. Oz dislikes

him and won't be playing him much.

Why don't we all accept that and move on?

Anderson is not going to play much this year.

And Erstad is a crummy hitter.