Official 2007 NFL Draft Thread

Just kind of scavaging the web after that Ramzee Robinson (Irrelevant Pick), was wondering who was one of the best of the bunch ever taken last in the draft.

Mr. Irrelevant History

Only name I recognize that has made a start in NFL is the Bears Mike Green. Im sure others had but I just found it interesting.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Just kind of scavaging the web after that Ramzee Robinson (Irrelevant Pick), was wondering who was one of the best of the bunch ever taken last in the draft.

Mr. Irrelevant History

Only name I recognize that has made a start in NFL is the Bears Mike Green. Im sure others had but I just found it interesting.

Finn, who the Bears drafted, blocked for Tiki Barber and the Giants last year.

Chicago Sports talk has been really funny in the last week. None of the hosts will dare rip into Angelo's picks because they all killed him last year and he turned out to be more right than wrong. Everyone is taking the "I slammed Angelo last year and I was wrong, so I will believe in him now" approach.

Comcast was reporting last night that the Bears have come to terms with Chris Leak on an UD FA contract. Could be interesting for Orton, Chris Leak was a pretty good college QB for the past 2 years.

Draft grades

Dr Z

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ort.card/4.html

BEARS -- D

Their top draft, TE Greg Olsen, doesn't exactly address a need, but that's OK, he could be a high-powered weapon. Unfortunately, I don't find anything in a rather humdrum draft that intrigues me until the fifth round; Kevin Payne, a sleeper, a versatile strong or free safety, and this addresses a real need since Mike Brown seems to be hurt so often now.

Charles Robinson

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AouS...o&type=lgns

Chicago Bears: There were quite a few question marks after a good first choice in Miami tight end Greg Olsen. No offensive linemen on the first day? Only a seventh-round offensive tackle? Defensive end Dan Bazuin is undersized and didn't seem to be the most pressing need in the second round. Running back Garrett Wolfe is going to be more of a situational player than the next coming of Maurice Jones-Drew. Taking him in the third round might have been a slight reach. Linebacker Michael Okwo isn't an adequate future replacement for Lance Briggs, not at his size (6-foot, 220). Josh Beekman was an odd choice since many teams liked him as a center.

Grade: C

Pete Prisco

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10157575

Chicago Bears

Best pick: They need a weapon in the middle of the field, so taking tight end Greg Olsen with the first pick was a good move.

Questionable move: Using a third-round pick on Garrett Wolfe, a small running back, is risky. They don't need him as a return man.

Second-day gem: Guard Josh Beekman, the team's fourth-round pick, will work in as a starter in two years.

Overall grade: C

Tom Weir

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/dr...am-grades_N.htm

Chicago Bears ***(3 stars out of 4)

Fourth-round G Josh Beekman begins to address the aging on their offensive line, plus they got the premier tight end in Greg Olsen, filling a need. Third-round RB Garrett Wolfe from Northern Illinois is an interesting gamble, and Michael Okwo adds needed depth at linebacker, where disgruntled Lance Briggs finds himself still in Chicago — for the moment.

Don Pierson

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Bears

To get the best player at any position with the 31st pick is a plus, and tight end Greg Olsen gives them speed down the middle that will threaten all the Cover-2 defenses they face. Dan Bazuin is the kind of undersized pass rusher they like. Garrett Wolfe is really undersized, but they needed a third-down threat. Michael Okwo is a third-rounder, just like Lance Briggs. They waited until their last pick to address a need at offensive tackle, so that remains an area of concern. Grade: A-

Bob LeGere

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=307453

Bears: TE Greg Olson (31) looks like the physically gifted pass catcher they’ve been seeking for decades. He should make the passing game better in a hurry. DE wasn’t a need, although it was impossible to ignore the big-play production of Dan Bazuin (62). RB Garrett Wolfe was a reach at 93, but he has rare speed and quickness and is a home run threat. LB Michael Okwo (94) should contribute right away on special teams, but he’s probably not the next Lance Briggs. OG Josh Beekman (130) is a tough, limited-area athlete. Kevin Payne (167) is a hard-hitting, in-the-box S.

Grade: C-plus

If anyone can post Mel Kipers grade(ESPN), I dont have Insider

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Dr Z

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ort.card/4.html

BEARS -- D

Their top draft, TE Greg Olsen, doesn't exactly address a need, but that's OK, he could be a high-powered weapon. Unfortunately, I don't find anything in a rather humdrum draft that intrigues me until the fifth round; Kevin Payne, a sleeper, a versatile strong or free safety, and this addresses a real need since Mike Brown seems to be hurt so often now.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
:huh: :huh: :huh:

Dr Z is not a Bears fan at all. He ripped the Bears up and down last year. He said the reason the Bears were going to lose the Super Bowl was because their special teams were less than average. The first play of the game proved that one wrong. Strangely enough he didnt have much to say about Grossman.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Dr Z is not a Bears fan at all. He ripped the Bears up and down last year. He said the reason the Bears were going to lose the Super Bowl was because their special teams were less than average. The first play of the game proved that one wrong. Strangely enough he didnt have much to say about Grossman.

What he said 100%!

QUOTE(Shadows @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Anyone have a link to a site with updated UDFA signings?

Supposedly they're not all known until around the end of this week when teams start posting their rosters for the upcoming season.

It does sound like the Bears have done pretty well in finding potentially talented folks in the UDFA market though

for anyone who cares and hasn't heard the song, there is a link for the 7th Floor Crew on the internet. It's kind of funny, but it's pretty much ridiculously offensive too especially if you do not take the material they rap about in a joking matter.

anyways, I felt it was best not to post it, but I can PM you the link if you want to listen to it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
for anyone who cares and hasn't heard the song, there is a link for the 7th Floor Crew on the internet. It's kind of funny, but it's pretty much ridiculously offensive too especially if you do not take the material they rap about in a joking matter.

anyways, I felt it was best not to post it, but I can PM you the link if you want to listen to it.

Leitch posted it on Deadspin last year and again today, it's quite entertaining. It's pretty much what you'd expect from . . . well pretty much anyone who goes to the U.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
Leitch posted it on Deadspin today, it's quite entertaining. It's pretty much what you'd expect from . . . well pretty much anyone who goes to the U.

Haha, yeah that's where I found it.

And I cannot further describe it other than if you do wish to listen to it, don't take it seriously.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
Looks like he made the right choice coming out early huh?

Right, because his stock would have been so much higher next year.

Hmmmm face 8 in the box next year on every down because Quinn is gone, and may not even be the guy that has the bulk of the carries...sounds like a great idea!

Don't get me wrong, Darius was a good back for ND and put up good numbers (still think he'll be a serviceable 3rd down back in the league) but coming out a year early was the right choice. No Quinn + a stable of backs = not much room for improvement.

Keyshawn Johnson was cut by the Panthers today. It's funny to me, because watching him and Dwayne Jarrett communicate during the draft, not only did it seem like two trees talking, but it seemed like these two trees might actually be communicating more in the future.

QUOTE(Top Notch @ May 1, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
Keyshawn Johnson was cut by the Panthers today. It's funny to me, because watching him and Dwayne Jarrett communicate during the draft, not only did it seem like two trees talking, but it seemed like these two trees might actually be communicating more in the future.

LMAO. Keyshawn was talking about how excited he was to play with Jarrett and be his teammate and teach him to be a better WR. Guess not. :lol:

QUOTE(Fotop @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Right, because his stock would have been so much higher next year.

Hmmmm face 8 in the box next year on every down because Quinn is gone, and may not even be the guy that has the bulk of the carries...sounds like a great idea!

Don't get me wrong, Darius was a good back for ND and put up good numbers (still think he'll be a serviceable 3rd down back in the league) but coming out a year early was the right choice. No Quinn + a stable of backs = not much room for improvement.

I agree, actually. Also, ND has at least 2 backs who might be better than Walker and he would have fought his balls off to even be a starter. It looked like he'd be a 3rd or 4th rounder, didn't work out that way. I'm just shocked he wasn't picked at all, he's a decent player.