Thome to the DL

joeynach

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
Here's hoping Williams doesn't do anything too drastic.

Thome is hurt quite often because of his violent swing. Last year it was his hand/wrist. This year it's his side. In the past it has been his back. He's also had hamstring problems.

KW would do well to get another quality bat in here to back up Thome and also play some outfield.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
Possible options if not Ryan Sweeney...

J. Burnitz

Alexis Gomez

Aaron Guiel

Hollandsworth

Terrence Long

Q. McCracken

Michael Tucker

Bernie Williams

As long as it isn't Phil... but seriously though, that list sucks. Rather would like to see what Sweeney could do.

Just guessing based on my own experience with a rib injury from swinging a bat. Usually its the lowest rib on the side of the rib cage that faces the pitcher when you're batting. Depending on how badly u tweaked it a stint on the 15 day DL is not out of the question. He'll probably be fine after that. Personally I doubt we'll go hunting for a replacement . Williams didnt do it for Toby Hall and I doubt he does it with Thome. Citron will get more PT. He has options on bringing up any number of players from the minors who would get very little playing time if its only a 15 day injury. Still doesn't look like JD will bat 3rd like many of us prefer . Looks as though Konerko will bat 3rd and Dye 4th. I also have a sneaking suspicion it just might be his back instead of the rib.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 02:16 AM)
Losing Thome for a couple weeks is hardly a season killer. I think will be fine.

Ahhh, the voice of reason!

Seriously, we're in 2nd place in the hardest division in baseball with virtually NO offensive production. I think we'll do alright without Thome for a little while, especially if any one of our boppers breaks out of it. Thome has been good so far but it hasn't translated into much production yet we're winning games regardless. Now if Thome is out for more than a month or two (which hasn't even been insinuated), then we might have a problem but I still don't think it would be cause to forfeit the season.

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
Ahhh, the voice of reason!

Seriously, we're in 2nd place in the hardest division in baseball with virtually NO offensive production. I think we'll do alright without Thome for a little while, especially if any one of our boppers breaks out of it. Thome has been good so far but it hasn't translated into much production yet we're winning games regardless. Now if Thome is out for more than a month or two (which hasn't even been insinuated), then we might have a problem but I still don't think it would be cause to forfeit the season.

That's probably why most all of the posts you see contain the phrase or implied ideal of "extended period of time." I don't think anyone believes 2 weeks without Thome would kill the Sox but 1-2 months on the DL followed by lingering soreness and muscle tweaks could very well cause this team to tank.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 01:14 AM)
I said this last year (and was disagreed with) but this is the problem with having a 36 year old as your best player.

Still, I don't see a reason to panic at this point. It's not as if he's done for the season.

Hopefully Anderson gets sent down and we re-sign Perez.

I can't see how Thome would be considered better than either Dye or Konerko, but okay.

Obviously he's the only one of the three who will be going to the Hall of Fame, but I would say he's our third best player, maybe fourth, if Crede is for real, because Crede also plays a position at Gold Glove caliber.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
Any news on a possible DL stint for Thome?

From the official Sox site:

Both Thome and Ozzie Guillen expressed a desire to reevaluate the recurrence of Thome's rib cage injury on Saturday, but the White Sox manager already has Plan B firmly in mind. Thome appears to be headed to the disabled list, giving him a couple of weeks of nothing but treatment in order to let the injury fully heal.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
From the official Sox site:

I'm with Ozzie on this one. Get him completely healed and run without him for a week or two, rather than risk a long-term injury. I honestly think we'll be fine regardless if we continue to pitch.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)
To add some actual discussion to this, if Thome does hit the DL with a rather serious muscle pull I fully expect a move to be made, there are no position players in AAA with a .700 OPS right now so expecting any of them to come up and produce at even a mediocre rate is probably asking a bit much. Dye would probably be moved to the DH spot considering his age, defensive abilities and injury concerns (that's if he's healthy of course). That would make the outfield Ozuna - Erstad - Mackowiak, quite possibly the worst in baseball.

Considering an abdominal strain could linger throughout the year especially with Thome's violent swing a bat would probably need to be brought in to make up for the loss.

Kalapse I always knew you were the voice of reason in this crazy place :D

Thome does have one heckuva a hard swing and my suggestion is he go to the opposite field more :chair By the time the opposition figures it out he will be healthy again and swinging away hard.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
That's probably why most all of the posts you see contain the phrase or implied ideal of "extended period of time." I don't think anyone believes 2 weeks without Thome would kill the Sox but 1-2 months on the DL followed by lingering soreness and muscle tweaks could very well cause this team to tank.

Definatly agree with that statement. This team is getting kind of old. Especially considering its 3 best offesive players are all 30+ years old. This is what happens when a slugger gets old, small nagging injuries like tweaks, pulls, and soreness. We either need a viable back up or KW was right in the offseason when he said he wont let this team get too old and slow to compete, ala the giants. The last thing we need is to become the Miami Heat of baseball. I see KW getting younger and younger over the next two offseasons. Probably meaning goodbye Dye and Thome when their contracts are up. Same with Contreras, he already got Freddy out. Man I wish we had a Vernon Wells or Carl Crawford.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
Thome is a straight up monster. People are underestimating just how good he is, even at his age.

No doubt. He isn't the hitter he was even 3-4 years ago, but he is still a good hitter. To me, Thome is the type who will play baseball until he is into his 40's.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
I think that's pretty much the point I was trying to make. If Thome is out for a long time, this team would almost certainly be done for the season.

It would certainly hurt, but I wouldn't go THAT far.

Hopefully Thome will be back on Tuesday, as I'm going to the game at Safeco. But it doesn't look good. :unsure:

Edited by WCSox

What are you guys all fretting about?

If Thome goes down, we can always dial up our favorite dinosaur-denying superhero: Jurassic Carl.

Mmmm. I feel better already!

Seriously though: I'm not going to jump off the ledge if Thome goes on the DL for a while--if our team is sunk because one guy is out, then our team sucks. And I don't think that's the case.