Outfield Options

Chisoxfn

I think its pretty obvious the Sox should pick up an outfielder via trade (whether its a high profile guy or a bit more a stop gap guy). With Dye an impending FA, Erstad/Pods being older guys who have had injuries the reality is we could very well have 3 new starting outfielders next year (maybe two of Fields/Sweeney/Anderson) make the roster but even that is an if and I'm not saying its a good thing so the Sox should be able to go out and get at least one outfielder (I know Kenny said he doesn't have a read on this team yet, but its obvious that they need another outfielder, even once Pods is back they truly need one).

So here are some names I think could be interesting:

Xavier Nady (strong arm, solid bat, not a star but I think he's a decent role playing outfielder whose a good defensive corner outfielder).

Ben Broussard - Mariners - Nice left handed swing and he doesnt play as much in Seattle as he should. He had some pretty damn solid years in Cleveland before struggling half of last year with the Mariners (he's been doing good in limited time for the Mariners this year) and is a guy that would hit 15-20 homers for the club and again would fit in nicely and could play left or right (albeit I'm not sure how good he is out there as he's primarily been a first baseman).

Randy Wynn - Giants - Would look real good in the two spot and can obviously play all 3 outfield positions (preferably left because he doesn't have much of an arm). Not sure how interested the Giants would be to move one of there few hitters that is producing.

Than there are the bigger names:

Carl Crawford: Legitimate upgrade, but I think it would take a major package to land him and the only way I could see the Sox making this deal is if they got a 3rd team involved and were able to parlay a guy like Crede into some prospects (plus give up a guy like Gio and probably one more guy). Even than I don't know if they make that deal, but if they were able to parlay a package involving Crede for Santana they could potentially get the Drays to bite (assuming the Sox offered up another prospect or two to sweeten the deal). This may be a bigger move than the Sox would like to make, but Carl Crawford makes an assload of sense, especially given his affordable contract and the fact that he would offer the Sox a lot of insurance if Dye does leave (and would be a very good long term solution).

Ken Griffey Jr: Will the Reds make this move, who knows. Griffey is a legitimate middle of the order bat and is a good defensive outfielder (no longer what he once was, but he's a solid right fielder). The negative is he's up there in age and if you are going to make a big move I think you should really get a guy that can help this team for the next few years and I don't know if Griffey is that guy (however, if the Reds end up selling on the low end, than I would be a buyer on this type of deal).

Rocco Baldelli: The Drays have a plethora of young outfielder and Baldelli is struggling so far this year. However, as a whole he's a better than league average player with a good deal of upside who can play all 3 outfield positions and do it well. I think he'd improve greatly from playing at the cell and would also see less injuries moving away from the horrid artificial surface at Tropicana. The question is are the Rays willing to give him up for a reasonable package (no Gio Gonzalez...but instead a couple of, Broadway/Haeger/Phillips/McCulloch/Egbert/Russel) etc. You also have to ask yourself at what point isn't it just a better deal to give up a bit more for the better player in Crawford (if it is in fact an option). Also, like Crawford, Baldelli is signed to an affordable deal and is young so he should grow with the team and be a nice long term solution.

Alexis Rios - I rank Rios in between Crawford/Baldelli. The guy is a very young player who can hit for average and do a lot of things well. The question is what is the asking price. If the Jays would accept one or two young pitchers plus a guy like Brian Anderson than I think the Sox should consider making the deal. However, the Jays should be able to get a very good player for Rios (again the Sox could also move another guy, such as Crede, to have the ability to get a guy like Rios).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
I think its pretty obvious the Sox should pick up an outfielder via trade (whether its a high profile guy or a bit more a stop gap guy). With Dye an impending FA, Erstad/Pods being older guys who have had injuries the reality is we could very well have 3 new starting outfielders next year (maybe two of Fields/Sweeney/Anderson) make the roster but even that is an if and I'm not saying its a good thing so the Sox should be able to go out and get at least one outfielder (I know Kenny said he doesn't have a read on this team yet, but its obvious that they need another outfielder, even once Pods is back they truly need one).

So here are some names I think could be interesting:

Xavier Nady (strong arm, solid bat, not a star but I think he's a decent role playing outfielder whose a good defensive corner outfielder).

Ben Broussard - Mariners - Nice left handed swing and he doesnt play as much in Seattle as he should. He had some pretty damn solid years in Cleveland before struggling half of last year with the Mariners (he's been doing good in limited time for the Mariners this year) and is a guy that would hit 15-20 homers for the club and again would fit in nicely and could play left or right (albeit I'm not sure how good he is out there as he's primarily been a first baseman).

Randy Wynn - Giants - Would look real good in the two spot and can obviously play all 3 outfield positions (preferably left because he doesn't have much of an arm). Not sure how interested the Giants would be to move one of there few hitters that is producing.

Than there are the bigger names:

Carl Crawford: Legitimate upgrade, but I think it would take a major package to land him and the only way I could see the Sox making this deal is if they got a 3rd team involved and were able to parlay a guy like Crede into some prospects (plus give up a guy like Gio and probably one more guy). Even than I don't know if they make that deal, but if they were able to parlay a package involving Crede for Santana they could potentially get the Drays to bite (assuming the Sox offered up another prospect or two to sweeten the deal). This may be a bigger move than the Sox would like to make, but Carl Crawford makes an assload of sense, especially given his affordable contract and the fact that he would offer the Sox a lot of insurance if Dye does leave (and would be a very good long term solution).

Ken Griffey Jr: Will the Reds make this move, who knows. Griffey is a legitimate middle of the order bat and is a good defensive outfielder (no longer what he once was, but he's a solid right fielder). The negative is he's up there in age and if you are going to make a big move I think you should really get a guy that can help this team for the next few years and I don't know if Griffey is that guy (however, if the Reds end up selling on the low end, than I would be a buyer on this type of deal).

Rocco Baldelli: The Drays have a plethora of young outfielder and Baldelli is struggling so far this year. However, as a whole he's a better than league average player with a good deal of upside who can play all 3 outfield positions and do it well. I think he'd improve greatly from playing at the cell and would also see less injuries moving away from the horrid artificial surface at Tropicana. The question is are the Rays willing to give him up for a reasonable package (no Gio Gonzalez...but instead a couple of, Broadway/Haeger/Phillips/McCulloch/Egbert/Russel) etc. You also have to ask yourself at what point isn't it just a better deal to give up a bit more for the better player in Crawford (if it is in fact an option). Also, like Crawford, Baldelli is signed to an affordable deal and is young so he should grow with the team and be a nice long term solution.

Alexis Rios - I rank Rios in between Crawford/Baldelli. The guy is a very young player who can hit for average and do a lot of things well. The question is what is the asking price. If the Jays would accept one or two young pitchers plus a guy like Brian Anderson than I think the Sox should consider making the deal. However, the Jays should be able to get a very good player for Rios (again the Sox could also move another guy, such as Crede, to have the ability to get a guy like Rios).

I'd rather trade for Willy Mo Pena.

Nady and Winn would be fine with me, although I don't think it would be easy for us to get Winn. What do we really have to give up that will help the Giants to contend this year? They're not going to take Mackowiak, Ozuna or Cintron, for example. I'm sure most teams aren't in the business of trading starters to create platoons. And trading Phillips, Haeger or Broadway isn't enough to bring back Winn in trade. Not to mention that type of trade makes little sense for SF.

Broussard, no thanks, we might as well bring back the RH part of the platoon in Eduardo Perez. Broussard simply isn't an outfielder, he's a 1B/DH.

Crawford would be too expensive and wouldn't be dealt in May, Baldelli and Griffey are injury prone and Rios is a rising start, the cost would be prohibitive with Alex.

I wouldn't be shocked to open the paper and see Carl Everett had taken Terrero's place on the roster, or even Timo Perez.

Edited by caulfield12

Contreras could be a pretty good fit for Cinci. They have Arroyo and Harang, and Loshe has been decent. And Belisle looks like a decent young pitcher to. Add that to the fact Contreras would be pitching in the NL, and the Reds would have a nice little staff. They're last place now, but I think they're a better team then that.

Also, Griffey in the lineup...?

1. Erstad, CF

2. Griffey, LF

3. Dye, RF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Iguchi, 2B

8. Crede, 3B

9. Uribe, SS

I'm sorry, but I think you can do far better if you move Jose Contreras. You would also have to get Contreras to agree to waiving his no trade clause. In addition, I don't see Kenny dealing any of the proven starters because it would open up another spot creating a potential hole (especially since there is always a decent chance of an injury in the rotation).

I have no problem moving Contreras but I think that time will come during the off-season and I sure as heck ain't moving him for an old outfielder (even if we are talking about getting a pretty darn good hitting one at that).

Nady's a platoon player, great against lhp; rhp, not so much.

TB is known to ask for the moon for everyone, but they may part with Jonny Gomes cheap. He's buried on the bench, basically the 5th of, but has a ton of power. Something of a platoon guy (much better against lhp), but a career 300+ obp against rhp. (Bad average, though.) He was injured last year but crushed the ball this spring. Just a thought.

I don't know about his defense. He looked average when I saw him play right. Even if he had problems there, I imagine he could handle left without much trouble.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 20, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I personally would like to see Griffey Jr. patrolling LF for us. But what would it take? I think of all our MLB pitchers, Contreras is the one we'd miss the least.

Contreras has an ERA of about 2.5 since the Opening Day start and we'd miss him the least?

What?

He's the only pitcher on our team that has shown the ability the last couple of seasons to go on an extended run of shutting down other teams...Buehrle and Garland hit too many bats, and Vazquez is simply inconsistent at this point, at best.

With one good start from Masset, that doesn't automatically mean you can pencil him into the rotation for the rest of the year and shed Contreras like that.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 20, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
Contreras has an ERA of about 2.5 since the Opening Day start and we'd miss him the least?

What?

He's the only pitcher on our team that has shown the ability the last couple of seasons to go on an extended run of shutting down other teams...Buehrle and Garland hit too many bats, and Vazquez is simply inconsistent at this point, at best.

With one good start from Masset, that doesn't automatically mean you can pencil him into the rotation for the rest of the year and shed Contreras like that.

But it worked for McCarthy! Oh, wait.

Agreed. If the Sox want to contend this season, none of the starters are headed towards the exit.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 20, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
Yeah, I don't want Griffey anymore. For a while there, I was thinking it was 1998.

Japanese center fielder Kosuke Fukudome (.320-9-35 in 44 games for the Chunichi Dragons this year).

He was mentioned in the Phil Rogers article today, except it was for the Cubs and not Sox.

I'd be willing to make a move for Griffey also. But, if you have to give up Contreras, what would be the point ?

It would be a salary dump for Cincy so if the Sox took his whole contract thru 2009 they shouldn't give them anything more than Luis Terrero.

If Cincy pays half, I'd give them any 2 pitchers in Charlotte.

We have to remember this guy could be out for the season by tripping on a sidewalk crack.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
I'm sorry, but I think you can do far better if you move Jose Contreras. You would also have to get Contreras to agree to waiving his no trade clause. In addition, I don't see Kenny dealing any of the proven starters because it would open up another spot creating a potential hole (especially since there is always a decent chance of an injury in the rotation).

I have no problem moving Contreras but I think that time will come during the off-season and I sure as heck ain't moving him for an old outfielder (even if we are talking about getting a pretty darn good hitting one at that).

Agreed! No way should we move Contreras for Griffey - that's way lopsided in Cincy's favor. However old Contreras really is, his arm is a hot commodity and I wouldn't part with it unless we really got something big back.

I like the idea of Alex Rios. You have to figure Pods is gone after this year, and Erstad has only so many years left. Sweeney is proving himself nicely, but we need a fourth OF. Rios is young and is about the right size of a pickup that KW might actually go for. Depending what Toronto would be want, I'd pull the trigger on him in heartbeat.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
I think its pretty obvious the Sox should pick up an outfielder via trade (whether its a high profile guy or a bit more a stop gap guy).

Really? No, I beg to differ.

Erstad has gone above and beyond the call of duty temping as a lead-off hitter and plays above-average defense in center field game-in-and-game-out.

Dye, although struggling a bit (like the rest of the roster), seems to be pulling out of it and once he does, will contribute proven numbers at an affordable one-year rate. I think at this point it is safe to say that Jermaine will not be a member of the White Sox beyond 2007, but that does not mean he needs to be moved. Clearly, he has slowed down in the field and has struggled to put up past numbers thus far, but he is a proven commodity and has stayed off the DL--an issue which fans originally pegged as a main point of concern when signed. He needs to be kept this year, asked to produce, and wished well in the off-season.

As for left field, the answer is Ryan Sweeney, even in 2007. I am really frustrated to see him sent down when the only other alternative is a Pablo Ozuna/Rob Mackowiak platoon. He projects to be a high OBP type player with above-average defense in at least two outfield positions and also projects to develop some power statistics as he ages. He should be the starting left fielder even in 2007 with Podsednik on the DL--another White Sox outfielder who will be sent packing after 2007.

So, for the short-term: Sweeney-Erstad-Dye

For 2008 and beyond: Sweeney-Erstad-Ichiro (a free agent signing that the White Sox should be willing to overpay for given the needs of the roster as it is currently constructed)

...if Ichiro doesn't tickle your fancy, think a different free agent signing or someone like Crawford who can be acquired via trade; but, for 2007, you leave the outfield as is.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
For 2008 and beyond: Sweeney-Erstad-Ichiro (a free agent signing that the White Sox should be willing to overpay for given the needs of the roster as it is currently constructed)

...if Ichiro doesn't tickle your fancy, think a different free agent signing or someone like Crawford who can be acquired via trade; but, for 2007, you leave the outfield as is.

For 2008, you want the Sox to pay $6 million to keep Erstad? For all that he may have exceeded expectations, he has a .307 OBP and a .650 OPS. I'd rather see the Sox stick Sweeney in CF in 2008 and sign/trade someone with power for LF ( the Sox will need it losing Dye and Crede and probably Iguchi).

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 21, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
For 2008, you want the Sox to pay $6 million to keep Erstad? For all that he may have exceeded expectations, he has a .307 OBP and a .650 OPS. I'd rather see the Sox stick Sweeney in CF in 2008 and sign/trade someone with power for LF ( the Sox will need it losing Dye and Crede and probably Iguchi).

As I've said previously, Erstad is not worth $6M. But, if the White Sox want to pay it, who am I to complain?

He's a fine ballplayer and has preformed admirably thus far without any injuries. I don't know if that is a vesting option, but in the event that it is not, a reduced contract can always be worked out. I think Erstad will be a part of the 2008 ball club in one capacity or another.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)

If Erstad is playing well, I think the best case would be the Sox to work out a deal for next season and announce it earlier on (that way Erstad knows he's got a job for next year and the Sox know they raen't paying 6 million cause there is no way Darin is worth that).

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying $6M for Erstad in 2008.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=2252

It's $3.5 million option for the Sox for 2008. If he gets 600 AB's in 2007, Erstad gets the $6M but the White Sox still have the option, i.e. they can decline to pay him $6M and then they'd pay a buyout.

I suppose Erstad could get to 600 AB's this year but I doubt it. He's played in 39 of 40 games so far and has 151 AB's. So I guess he is right on track for 600 but he'd have to play in just about every game the rest of the year. Possible, but doubtful. What is much more likely is Erstad gets something less than 600 AB's in 2007 and the Sox pick up his option for $3.5M for 2008.

Edited by 29thandPoplar

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying $6M for Erstad in 2008.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=2252

It's $3.5 million option for the Sox for 2008. If he gets 600 AB's in 2007, Erstad gets the $6M but the White Sox still have the option, i.e. they can decline to pay him $6M and then they'd pay a buyout.

I suppose Erstad could get to 600 AB's this year but I doubt it. He's played in 39 of 40 games so far and has 151 AB's. So I guess he is right on track for 600 but he'd have to play in just about every game the rest of the year. Possible, but doubtful. What is much more likely is Erstad gets something less than 600 AB's in 2007 and the Sox pick up his option for $3.5M for 2008.

Excellent news. I didn't remember the 6 million but so many were talking about it so I bought into it. I think we will see Erstad back for 3.5 or so.