Marriotti, come on now

Steve9347

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
No way in hell. I will bet you a new Danks jersey right now that Mariotti is not fired this year

Hah! I actually already have a new Danks jersey- the Halfway to St. Patricks Day white and green jersey. It is the apple of everyone's eye every time I go to a game...:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 22, 2007 -> 06:01 AM)
Perhaps you'll hear him type another column after the inevitable Harrelson shout out tonight. :D

And if anyone here was upset with Mariotti yesterday, today's piece is even more personal.

This guy just gets me pissed. Its unreal. I should just not read it, but I have to. f*** him. This is the kind of moral guy who I hope they catch dressed as a woman, getting spanked by a hooker.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
This guy just gets me pissed. Its unreal. I should just not read it, but I have to. f*** him. This is the kind of moral guy who I hope they catch dressed as a woman, getting spanked by a hooker.

Hey, didn't that actually happen to Marv Albert? Or was it Dick Morris?

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
Hah! I actually already have a new Danks jersey- the Halfway to St. Patricks Day white and green jersey. It is the apple of everyone's eye every time I go to a game...:)

I still will bet you anything that Mariotti will be employed by the Sun times by the end of the year. His schtick hasnt changed, there is no reason for them to fire him

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
I still will bet you anything that Mariotti will be employed by the Sun times by the end of the year. His schtick hasnt changed, there is no reason for them to fire him

He may be employed...but he will not be allowed to lob these bs columns at us every morning. His "schtick" will change. I refuse to believe the executives at the Sun-Times will allow him carte blanche to carry out personal vendettas against the man who owns the two most successful sports franchises in this City over the past twenty years. His column is certainly one which allows him to express his views. But when it becomes simply a forum to ignorantly bash one owner, one organization, one general manager, one manager, and one broadcaster, he is abusing his responsibilities. He will not be allowed to carry on that way. Whether it be a closed-door meeting with the people he answers to, another "vacation," or his ultimate dismissal, I don't know. But if this continues, something will be done.

And remember, no one thought he was getting canned by am 1000 either.

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
He may be employed...but he will not be allowed to lob these bs columns at us every morning. His "schtick" will change. I refuse to believe the executives at the Sun-Times will allow him carte blanche to carry out personal vendettas against the man who owns the two most successful sports franchises in this City over the past twenty years. His column is certainly one which allows him to express his views. But when it becomes simply a forum to ignorantly bash one owner, one organization, one general manager, one manager, and one broadcaster, he is abusing his responsibilities. He will not be allowed to carry on that way. Whether it be a closed-door meeting with the people he answers to, another "vacation," or his ultimate dismissal, I don't know. But if this continues, something will be done.

And remember, no one thought he was getting canned by am 1000 either.

Bottom line. It's about selling papers. If people are talking about Marriotti, it's good for business and that's all that matters.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
You know what I noticed though with all this Mariotti stuff and Ozzie's call-in and AJ/Buehrle and what not?

All of a sudden our offense woke up.

Just an observation.

Remember when I said this is all a calculation by Ozzie to get the attention away from the anemic offense right before the Cubs series? These things always seem to happen when something bad is going on. I swear the White Sox are using the media to deflect attention away from their problems.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
Bottom line. It's about selling papers. If people are talking about Marriotti, it's good for business and that's all that matters.

That may be an important consideration, but it isn't the only consideration. It may be good for business in the short term, but in the long term, it may become very bad for business. The Sun-Times has basically lucked into being the paper of many White Sox fans, due to the Cubs' affiliation with the Tribune, even though the Sun-Times is the City paper and the Tribune is the suburban paper. Mariotti is seriously threatening alienating the Sun-Times from a lot of White Sox fans- White Sox fans that are also Bulls fans and Bears fans.

One would think that would weigh on their mind more so than one man's column.

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
That may be an important consideration, but it isn't the only consideration. It may be good for business in the short term, but in the long term, it may become very bad for business. The Sun-Times has basically lucked into being the paper of many White Sox fans, due to the Cubs' affiliation with the Tribune, even though the Sun-Times is the City paper and the Tribune is the suburban paper. Mariotti is seriously threatening alienating the Sun-Times from a lot of White Sox fans- White Sox fans that are also Bulls fans and Bears fans.

One would think that would weigh on their mind more so than one man's column.

You are acting like this is new and unheard of. Reinsdorf and his teams have been Mariottis punching bag since he hit Chicago in the early 90's. His schtick wont change, he has been doing this for a long long time

I absolutely understand that this is not unheard of. You are acting as though it will go on forever. It won't.

If you don't recognize the increased power the White Sox organization and especially their fanbase has acquired through their World Series championship, in combination with the frustration on the North Side, then you're flat-out blind. This is not the little team on the South Side that no one cares about anymore. This team is building momentum with sustained success, a World Series title to back it up, and a vast increase at the gate which includes many more season ticket holders. Not only have ticket sales gone up, but radio and television ratings have increased. In sum, many White Sox fans have woken up from their slumber and more young kids are shunning the Cubs to be White Sox fans. If you haven't felt the increased enthusiasm at the games, then you aren't very perceptive.

What that all means is a much larger demographic (and one getting younger and younger every year) with more $ to spend. The Sun-Times not only has to worry about selling papers, but they have to worry about selling advertisements. Those advertisers have to worry about selling their products.

Alienating huge numbers of people because your most popular columnist loses all control of his professionalism is not a good long-term business plan. It might sell papers in the short-term, but it's not worth it in the long term. The Sun-Times is already struggling financially right now. They don't need this.

Edited by iamshack

Mike Lupica made a career out of trashing a much more powerful George Steinbrenner/New York Yankees franchise since Kotex-boy was living in his mom's basement. This happens nationwide everyday, we just notice this guy more because he writes in Chicago. Nothing is going to change, unless he crosses an invisable line.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
I bet he got it from a recent poll of Sox fans themselves.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58716

According to that poll 67% of the people that voted believe that a team other than the Cubs are the Sox biggest rival.

That's not even the real question here. Put up a poll that says "which would you rather do, go 6-0 against the Cubs during the regular season or win the World series?" and see how the voting goes...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
Mike Lupica made a career out of trashing a much more powerful George Steinbrenner/New York Yankees franchise since Kotex-boy was living in his mom's basement. This happens nationwide everyday, we just notice this guy more because he writes in Chicago. Nothing is going to change, unless he crosses an invisable line.

Mike Lupica is 7 times the journalist Mariotti ever will be.

Again, no one thought Mariotti would be gone from am 1000 either.

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Mike Lupica is 7 times the journalist Mariotti ever will be.

Again, no one thought Mariotti would be gone from am 1000 either.

You know why Kotex-boy got canned from AM 1000? His ratings sucked. No one listened to that show on the radio, so they fired him. The guy is still selling newspapers, so he isn't going anywhere until that changes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
You know why Kotex-boy got canned from AM 1000? His ratings sucked. No one listened to that show on the radio, so they fired him. The guy is still selling newspapers, so he isn't going anywhere until that changes.

How do you know he is selling newspapers? Do you have data?

All I know is the Sun-Times is considering selling off several smaller papers because they are not coming close to meeting sales goals. Subscription sales are down, newsstand sales are down, and advertisement sales are down.

Is he really selling newspapers?

And if he is, if he continues this bs, do you believe he will continue to?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
The whole newspaper industry is down as a whole. The Sun Times is no different than anywhere else in that regards. Their problems are coming from a corrupt owner more than Jay Mariotti.

I not claiming Mariotti is the reason the paper is not selling.

I'm claiming they may not put up with his nonsense at risk of even more financial decline.

Just keep writing this crap, Jay. Your day will come.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
I wonder if Hawk understands he's doing Marriotti and the Sun Times a favor talking about his columns almost daily now.

I applaud Hawk for what he's doing. You've got to counter Mariotti's BS. If you don't, people start believing it.

Someone has to take a stand for the organization.

I think that I wouldnt mind him so much if he was born and raised in Chicago and had been a fan his whole life.

He's a transplant. He did the same things in Denver and other places. He dosent give a crap about any of the Chicago teams, he's only trying to help his own career.

Its not like he's some die-hard Sox fan thats just venting when things arent going right.

I think its our job as Sox fans to stand up to him.

Edited by GoSox05

The White Sox, from owner on down, have been very outspoken over the years. Some pick their spots (Reinsdorf), some spout off but can usually back it up (KW), and some have diarrhea of the mouth (Ozzie), but ever since I was a kid, the White Sox were the team that had to speak louder, make brash statements and maybe be even a little controversial to be noticed.

This is as much a Chicago thing as it is a White Sox thing. That's why the White Sox are Chicago's team and the Cubs should be called the USA Cubs and rotate home games in different stadiums every year.

As long as the White Sox have this attitude (and I hope it never changes, cuz that's what I love about them), then there will be Mariotti's out there. Even if the S-T fires Jay, there will be someone else that comes along and does the same thing. Just the way it is.

Bottom line, read it or don't read it, give your opinion or don't give your opinion.... Personally, I think he's a moron and have stopped reading his column whether it's about the Sox or Bulls or soccer or whatever. I'm done with Mariotti...I'd rather read a romance novel.

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
I applaud Hawk for what he's doing. You've got to counter Mariotti's BS. If you don't, people start believing it.

Someone has to take a stand for the organization.

What Hawk is doing, and frankly what you are doing by prolonging a thread like this, is getting more people to check out what that douche is actually writing about. Bad publicity is better than none.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I think that I wouldnt mind him so much if he was born and raised in Chicago and had been a fan his whole life.

He's a transplant. He did the same things in Denver and other places. He dosent give a crap about any of the Chicago teams, he's only trying to help his own career.

Its not like he's some die-hard Sox fan thats just venting when things arent going right.

I think its our job as Sox fans to stand up to him.

I don't care if he's trying to help his career, and I don't care if he personally likes the White Sox or not. All I ask is that he display some measure of professionalism and integrity by not completely twisting the facts or inventing things. That's all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
Question:

What would be more valuable on the back page of the Sun Times:

Jay Marriotti

Palehose 7

multiple pictures of your beer sipping avatar beauty will suffice. :D