Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
Damn. This is going to be a tough sell to the Misses. We're getting married this summer and I'm not sure how I can convince her we need a game console right now.

Yeah, I managed the convincing over xmas 07, but that was after 14 months of marriage.

Good luck with the big day though...

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
Yeah, I managed the convincing over xmas 07, but that was after 14 months of marriage.

Good luck with the big day though...

Go with the PS3 and convince her it's a good buy because it is sooo much more than a video game console. In fact, it's the best bluray DVD player out on the market.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
so, does GTA f*** up for every 60 gig ps3?

Out of 260 responses on NeoGAF(basically a video game industry insider board), here are the results of people who have experienced the problem:

Yes, on PS3

22.01% Yes, on PS3

5.79% Yes, on Xbox 360

21.24% No, on PS3

39.38% No, on Xbox 360

11.58%

I don't have GTA IV, N/A, or Other.

EDIT: Here is the direct link to this poll, along with lots more info on situation: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288359

The page was just put up and it's one of the busiest websites out there so expect the numbers I put up to change.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
So:

57 of 260 had PS3 issues.

15 of 260 had 360 issues.

More alarming is that >50% of PS3 users right now are apparently experiencing problems.

Also, unfortunately, a few game developers from the page I posted think there is a decent chance that there is a hardware problem that cannot fixed digitally, which would mean one big recall.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
57 of 260 are having a problem with it on PS3

55 of 260 are not having a problem with it on PS3

57 > 55

Actually, the problem cannot be truly defined unless you know how many of the 11% N/A people have PS3s and how many of those N/As would have issues by buying a game.

I was just adding up the PS3 issues from total respondants.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:08 AM)
MarioKart Wii is f***ing awesome.

That is all

Indeed it is and it will definitly be getting all my attention now because RockStar sucks. From what I've played thus far, it's the best in the series, which is really saying something.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Indeed it is and it will definitly be getting all my attention now because RockStar sucks. From what I've played thus far, it's the best in the series, which is really saying something.

My neighbor brought it over and we both played it for over an hour, its everything I wanted and more. The wii wheel is way better than I thought it would be, it isnt over sensitive or under sensitive. The new tracks are awesome, the old ones are just like I remembered them, the motorcycles are a fun twist on the game. Its just a great game

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
MarioKart Wii is f***ing awesome.

That is all

Damn right. Tossing the wheel in for free with the game was a great move by Nintendo. You can't snake as well with it as you can with a Gamecube controller, but it's an incredibly fun way to play. Reminds me a little of the Mario Kart arcade game.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Damn right. Tossing the wheel in for free with the game was a great move by Nintendo. You can't snake as well with it as you can with a Gamecube controller, but it's an incredibly fun way to play. Reminds me a little of the Mario Kart arcade game.

I liked the wheel, but you guys should try the nunchuck and remote set up. I find that to be the most "accurate" way of steering/handling.

Also, even though I wasn't going to buy it, my gf ended up bringing home GTA IV yesterday because she thought I'd like it (awesome gf right?). Anyways, so I have the 60 gb ps3 and for the 2-3 hours I played it last night it worked without any problems. So far I'd give it an 8-8.5. The graphics still blow (but are excusable given the size of the game), the storyline is much, much better than previous games, and I really like the new lock-on feature with the combat system. But in the end it's still the same game. Get mission. Drive. Complete mission. Drive. Get next mission. I did score pretty quickly with some chick Michelle though, that was kinda funny. I haven't gotten the chance to check out the multiplayer. For some reason it wouldn't connect. I wonder if the servers are still down.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 1, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
I liked the wheel, but you guys should try the nunchuck and remote set up. I find that to be the most "accurate" way of steering/handling.

Also, even though I wasn't going to buy it, my gf ended up bringing home GTA IV yesterday because she thought I'd like it (awesome gf right?). Anyways, so I have the 60 gb ps3 and for the 2-3 hours I played it last night it worked without any problems. So far I'd give it an 8-8.5. The graphics still blow (but are excusable given the size of the game), the storyline is much, much better than previous games, and I really like the new lock-on feature with the combat system. But in the end it's still the same game. Get mission. Drive. Complete mission. Drive. Get next mission. I did score pretty quickly with some chick Michelle though, that was kinda funny. I haven't gotten the chance to check out the multiplayer. For some reason it wouldn't connect. I wonder if the servers are still down.

Dude, The Wheel is what makes the game kick ass. I have no accuracy issues with the wheel at all, so why mess with a good thing? Besides, the nunchuk may be the most annoying controller I have ever played with in my video gaming life.

Rockstar's simple 12 step plan on fixing the PS3 trouble:

Take-Two suggests PS3 GTAIV fix

Publisher's tech support department unveils an elaborate 12-step program to address frequent freezing by deleting saves, disabling online and rumble support; 360 remedy still MIA.

Posted May 1, 2008 4:25 pm PT

Reports of Grand Theft Auto IV freezing up have been circulating message boards since the game's launch Tuesday, but Rockstar Games has been tight-lipped as to the reason or the remedy, passing off requests for public comment onto Sony. While the majority of complaints appear to be coming from PlayStation 3 users, Xbox 360 owners with glitch-ridden game experiences have also voiced their frustrations online.

Take-Two representatives may not have been willing to go on the record about the issue, but the publisher's tech support team does not have the same luxury when it comes to customer complaints. An inquiry into the Take-Two tech support site yielded the following array of suggestions on how to fix the problem. The 12-part response follows below:

Please run through the following, go through in order.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days.

As for Sony, earlier today, a representative with the company confirmed a 'freezing' issue with GTAIV on "a limited number of PS3s." He added that Sony has received "an extremely low volume" of complaint calls to its customer service line, and that it is working with all concerned parties to pin down and fix the issue.

Microsoft has not yet responded to GameSpot's inquiries on problems with the Xbox 360 edition of the game. GameSpot editors have yet to receive a response to a Take-Two tech support ticket filed for that version of the game.