Barrett traded to the Padres

Steff

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

North talking to fans if you want entertainment tune if.

Bowen threw out 3 of 26 runners sounds like AJ.

Tyler Burke hitting .211

Barrett caught Peavy in WBC.

Pads announcer (Billy Ray Smith former LB?)_ talking to North. Pads think the guys they gave up both suck

This sounds like a terribly bad cub trade.

Stone brought up Linebrink...belief is Phil Nevin and GREG MADDUX helped in determining if Barett was worth the risk.

Man the Pads guys are fired up for this.

Dickie Thon turns 49 today BTW

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
I have to say., this is a bad trade for the Cubs. They really downgraded their catching position with this deal.

Barrett must be a real ass.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
... One of the great names in baseball.

He was great until he got nailed in the face.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
Too bad they didn't do it after this weekend. Since my Sox have no hope in getting to the playoffs this year, my only joy would be booing Barrett Sunday.

I was looking forward to a boxing match.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn't surprise me....if there's one thing Hendry knows how to do, it's to get a lot of value for his players via trade.

The Cubs now have 5 good righty relievers in Dempster, Marmol, Linebrink, Wuertz, and Howry.

Did you want to edit this? :)

This is addition by subtraction for the Cubs. My guess is Pinella wanted Barrett out of there. The catcher they got is good defensively and a switch hitter if nothing else.

The trade market is now open.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Cubs have been playing better without Barrett of late... addition by subtraction here.

Exactlty. this is a deal where you take your losses and move on. Barrett must have been a total asshole if they shipped him out for that little.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
Too bad they didn't do it after this weekend. Since my Sox have no hope in getting to the playoffs this year, my only joy would be booing Barrett Sunday.

I was gonna say very much the same thing.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)

It would have been funny to see someone hit him and start a fight, only to have none of the Cubs bench come out and protect him.

the prospect they got in return has been bad this year, but he was a high draft pick (sandwich, 35th overall) in last years draft outa high school and is only 19....not saying hes a great prospect or anything, but potential is there i suppose

Edited by daa84

I didn't know this.

From the Cubs site:

Barrett also was involved in an argument in the dugout with Cubs pitcher Rich Hill on June 12, a game the Cubs lost in the 13th inning to Seattle when Barrett missed tagging Jose Vidro because he couldn't get his glove on a relay throw from right fielder Jacque Jones.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
Exactlty. this is a deal where you take your losses and move on. Barrett must have been a total asshole if they shipped him out for that little.

Aside from being an asshole, Barrett's play had dropped to the point of being absolutely horrible.

He's never been a good defensive player, but he had become worthless defensively and pretty bad with the bat too.

[Tim McCarver]NOT a good combination.[/Tim McCarver]

I saw this coming when the whole thing with Rich Hill happened I remember them showing Zambrano's spilts with Barret catching and with The others catchers and His Era was 7 plus with Barret and in the 2s with Blanco or Hill. Personally I think the Cubs can give up a little offense for better gamecalling but if they plan on contending I don't know why they would trade him to another contending team in the NL, If the Cubs and Padres play each other anymore this year Barret will tear them up COUNT ON IT.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
My dislike for the cub has Barrett at the top of my list of guys I want to get red hot. I hate(d) barret with a passsion by the way.

I wonder who the cub is targeting as their next catcher.

Coye Hill has been their catcher, and Bowen is a decent catcher. Maybe Pudge in the offseason?