Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Haven't both sides agreed that it comes down to a complete NTC. Is either side denying these reports?

Yes.

And this isn't about Mark, it's about Jon Garland. Kenny would give the NTC clause if Jon Garland wasn't under contract for only one more year.

It's my belief that Kenny intends to try to sign Jon for the same or a similar extension this offseason that he wants to sign Mark to right now. And yet, if he gives Mark the full NTC, he's going to have to give it to Jon as well.

He doesn't want to have two untradeable assets for the next 4-5 years.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
Haven't both sides agreed that it comes down to a complete NTC. Is either side denying these reports?

All I've seen is KW regurgitating a policy of no contracts with full NTCs. That policy is most likely JR & Co's and has probably been around since the mid-'80s. Given that Kenny wasn't quoted as saying anything about the alleged 4/56 deal, his comments about the NTC might not be linked to it at all. And from what I've read, Mark's agent had even denied being in recent negotiations with KW in the middle of last week. I see no credible evidence that the two parties are even talking right now.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
All I've seen is KW regurgitating a policy of no contracts with full NTCs. That policy is most likely JR & Co's and has probably been around since the mid-'80s. Given that Kenny wasn't quoted as saying anything about the alleged 4/56 deal, his comments about the NTC might not be linked to it at all. And from what I've read, Mark's agent had even denied being in recent negotiations with KW in the middle of last week. I see no credible evidence that the two parties are even talking right now.

Levine was saying that on the first day all of this started, but plenty of talk and action has come out of both camps to make it pretty clear that they were at least talking last week.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Levine was saying that on the first day all of this started, but plenty of talk and action has come out of both camps to make it pretty clear that they were at least talking last week.

Well he may be telling the truth about KW and himself actually not negotiating. Apparently things have been going through "intermediaries," such as Rick Hahn and others. The point is, Levine was stating nothing was going on simply so AM 1000 could make the Score look poorly.

It's been clear now that the Score was on to something (though a little presumptuous) and scooped AM 1000.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)

That's in contrast to what Mark's own agent was saying in the middle of last week.

What the media reports is all conjecture and possibly false information intentionally fed to them at this point.

This from Olney @ESPN:

Michael (Dallas): Regarding the Dodgers, do you think Kemp is enough to pry Buehrle away? Is it worth if for LA? Thanks.

sn2.gif Buster Olney: Michael: If the White Sox get Matt Kemp for Buehrle, that's a pretty good deal for a rent-a-player (for Chicago). Talked to about 10 people in the game over the last 24 hours and not one of them -- not one -- thinks the White Sox are making the right call by refusing to give Buehrle the no-trade clause. Given what the market is for pitching, four years and $56 million is an incredible bargain, and they should just give him the no-trade clause, or come up with some way around this sticking point (like guaranteeing a $5 million bonus if he's traded, or something like that).

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
This from Olney @ESPN:

Michael (Dallas): Regarding the Dodgers, do you think Kemp is enough to pry Buehrle away? Is it worth if for LA? Thanks.

sn2.gif Buster Olney: Michael: If the White Sox get Matt Kemp for Buehrle, that's a pretty good deal for a rent-a-player (for Chicago). Talked to about 10 people in the game over the last 24 hours and not one of them -- not one -- thinks the White Sox are making the right call by refusing to give Buehrle the no-trade clause. Given what the market is for pitching, four years and $56 million is an incredible bargain, and they should just give him the no-trade clause, or come up with some way around this sticking point (like guaranteeing a $5 million bonus if he's traded, or something like that).

Again, this is not just about Mark. It's going to be the same story with Jon next year. $112 million and 4 years of NTC is a huge gamble to take.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
This from Olney @ESPN:

this is so depressing.

I just don't get it.

Here's what I don't get...MOST players would much rather waive their no-trade clause to be with a team that they can either, A) give them more money or B. actually wants them. While I understand the point of a NTC, they are more of a nice gesture than an actual stumbling block. That's most of the time, not all of the time.

Want an example of what I mean? See: Jose Contreras.

Limited NTCs are more damaging if you ask me. That way, you have already eliminated a percentage of the teams a player is willing to go to, but if you ask the player to waive it, they (or their agent) can always say, "Look, you've got x number of teams that we WILL go to, work those angles."

All I'm saying is that the Sox should just bite the bullet and do it. Deal with the NTC later.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
Here's what I don't get...MOST players would much rather waive their no-trade clause to be with a team that they can either, A) give them more money or B. actually wants them. While I understand the point of a NTC, they are more of a nice gesture than an actual stumbling block. That's most of the time, not all of the time.

Want an example of what I mean? See: Jose Contreras.

Limited NTCs are more damaging if you ask me. That way, you have already eliminated a percentage of the teams a player is willing to go to, but if you ask the player to waive it, they (or their agent) can always say, "Look, you've got x number of teams that we WILL go to, work those angles."

All I'm saying is that the Sox should just bite the bullet and do it. Deal with the NTC later.

I'm going to say it again. There's something more here. If it were as simple as the NTC, this would be done.

That cannot be the only "block" to this deal. We all need to stop believing everything that's in the media.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
I'm going to say it again. There's something more here. If it were as simple as the NTC, this would be done.

That cannot be the only "block" to this deal. We all need to stop believing everything that's in the media.

I don't know, you may prove right, but Buster Olney and Ken Rosenthal have some pretty damn good sources around baseball. Maybe the Sox are fooling everyone, and trust me, I was in your camp just the other day saying that the NTC could not be it, but these reports have not been contradicted by a soul as of yet.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)

Wasn't really talking about Buehrle specifically. I was talking about the NTC generally.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
I don't know, you may prove right, but Buster Olney and Ken Rosenthal have some pretty damn good sources around baseball. Maybe the Sox are fooling everyone, and trust me, I was in your camp just the other day saying that the NTC could not be it, but these reports have not been contradicted by a soul as of yet.

There's two sides to this...

*IF* the NTC is the only issue holding the contract up, then there was something MUCH bigger going to happen then we all realize anyway.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
There's two sides to this...

*IF* the NTC is the only issue holding the contract up, then there was something MUCH bigger going to happen then we all realize anyway.

Yep, like the current ownership minimizing future debt in preparation for a sale of the team.

Edited by WCSox

Well KW, Jerry & Co. will be screwing the bed if they don't get this deal done...I would have rather just traded Mark then run this charade and then trade him. No reason to piss off the fan base that is already pretty fed up with this season. I also think the Sox have taken their eyes off the other pressing potential trades while figuring this thing out, the longer this saga carries out the worse it is for all parties involved.

I would guess that many fans will stop showing their support with their wallets and will be tuning into CSN next year vs. going to USC...

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Yep, like the current ownership minimizing future debt in preparation for a sale of the team.

Oh gosh.. you'd have to pry the front door keys from several of their cold dead stiff hands. :lol:

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
Hey, we can all dream, right? ;)

Dream away, but it ain't happenin'. Remember, Reinsdorf's first and best love is baseball (only using him because he is the face of the Board).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
Dream away, but it ain't happenin'. Remember, Reinsdorf's first and best love is baseball (only using him because he is the face of the Board).

That is true, but JR ain't getting any younger (and hasn't Einhorn had health problems recently?). And they already won the Series.

That said, I agree that it isn't happening any time soon, unfortunately.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
or the sox immediately signing Buehrle after the contract extension was in place to make him more valuable?

No way. It would be GM/franchise suicide to do that. It would be just unethical to do that to anyone and Mark is supposedly loved throughout the organization. The Sox would be seen as bad faith bargainers and would never get free agents or be able to resign players with any sort of home discount unless there was a no trade clause. This is the same reason why Konerko will not be traded unless he wants to be traded.

Sox can work this out with option years/bonuses that kick in if Mark is traded. I know this can be worked out. The only thing that can keep this from happening is if the Sox do not want to invest such a large percentage of their payroll in him and have no intention of working out a deal. Mark deserves trade protection of some sort if he is giving what many believe to be a huge discount in terms of years and cash.

ChiSox GM thinks team, Buehrle not that far off

Associated Press

Updated: July 3, 2007, 12:45 AM ET

CHICAGO -- White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Monday he's still hoping the team will sign ace lefty Mark Buehrle to a contract extension.

Assistant general manger Rick Hahn and Buehrle's agent Jeff Berry discussed a new deal last week, but negotiations slowed when the team did not give Buehrle a full no-trade clause, according to published reports. The Chicago Sun-Times reported the sides had agreed to a four-year, $56 million deal before the no-trade stalemate. Buehrle can become a free agent after the season.

"My gut is both parties want it to happen, so I would be hopeful that it would," Williams said before Monday's 7-6 loss to the Orioles.

Buehrle went 7 2/3 innings on Monday and gave up two earned runs but didn't get a decision when the bullpen fell apart.

Buehrle thinks that a deal can be reached. "I think both sides are being stubborn," he said.

"I feel 100 percent I'll make my start on Saturday. I don't feel that is the last one. ... I think something can still get done. I was traded to Boston and I'm passing up on some deal and going to Atlanta. I've heard so much stuff. Until I get that tap on my shoulder and say you've been traded or we're going to sign you to the extension that's all kind of rumors."

Buehrle got an ovation as he came in from the bullpen before the game and a much louder one as he was introduced and went to the mound. Hanging from a mezzanine box was a large sign: "Extend Buehrle." And in the sixth inning, the crowd began to chant "Re-Sign Buehrle."

And when he exited with two outs in the eighth, he was greeted by roaring ovation and waved his hat to acknowledge it before heading into the dugout.

"I didn't know I was liked that much here," Buehrle said.

After the White Sox fell in a deep hole by losing 22 of 27 games, Williams said he was ready to make changes and begin an overhaul that would no doubt include trading away some players. Jermaine Dye will also be a free agent after this season. The White Sox then won 6 of 7 on a road trip.

Buehrle, who has a 102-70 career record, has been a consistent performer since making his debut in 2000 -- with the exception of a dismal second half a year ago.

Buehrle had said repeatedly that he prefers to stay with the White Sox.

According to Williams, the White Sox's latest offer to Buehrle includes about 18 months of exposure in the middle of the deal where he would not be protected by a full no-trade provision.

"If that's the only thing that's the roadblock at this point, then I have to be optimistic that something can get done," Williams said.

"Mark is willing to forego free agency and has made no secret of his desire to remain in Chicago," Berry said Monday night. "In return, he simply wants assurance that he will stay with the Sox for the next four years."

Williams said he phoned Buehrle to tell him personally that the White Sox had no intention of pulling off a sign-and-trade deal. He said he understood Buehrle's desire for a complete no-trade, but added that giving it could be problematic for White Sox in future negotiations.

"It's not really a matter of us not desiring to do it completely, it's a matter of business practice and how that's going to affect the next day, the next player I attempt to sign, future free agents down the line," he said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2924040