500 for The Big Hurt

BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
a couple of years ago he wrote that frank was a hof even if he didn't get to 500 home runs. i guess since then he forgot about his career line of .303/.423/.562, two mvps (should be 3) 7 other times in the top 10 for mvp and just how dominating he was for that little stretch from 90-00.

big hurt = first ballot

What he said, iirc, is that Thomas deserves to be in the Hall. He's written articles also about who actually gets in the Hall, about what sort of candidates draw enough votes. The two lists aren't the same, and all he was saying here was that he doesn't believe 500 homers automatically will change the minds of enough voters to make Thomas a lock. Not that he doesn't believe Thomas should be in.

Seriously, how many sabrmetrics guys do you think would vote against Thomas?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
This is a special day for me. Frank Thomas was the player I idolized growing up. From his swing, to his gritty work ethic, I wanted to BE the Big Hurt. Thank you so much for the inspiration Frankie! And congratulations!! YOU DID IT!!!! :cheers

Didn't you admit late in 2005 or early last season that you just started following the Sox?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
ESPN did a nice little piece on him.

We were lucky to witness some of the things he accomplished here; it's amazing hearing the names his numbers are compared to.

I'm a little surprised ESPN knows about Frank Thomas or that there are players that don't play for the Red Sox or Yankees.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
ESPN did a nice little piece on him.

We were lucky to witness some of the things he accomplished here; it's amazing hearing the names his numbers are compared to.

It was almost like time stopped when he came to bat. Remember that Jordan commercial "Frozen Moment"? Everybody just stopped whatever they were doing when they saw Mike on the TV. I felt the exact same way about Frank. Especially during the years of 1991-1994.

Congrats to the Big Hurt. The 500 HR Club welcomes you. It's a shame cheaters like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire and Palmiero tainted your accomplishment.

But Sox fans today are smiling with pride knowing your 500 HR's are clean. Unlike the ass clown RF'er the north siders used to worship for years.

Also the fan who caught The Big Hurt's milestone HR gave the ball back to Frank. Class move for a class act.

See you in Cooperstown Frank!

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:10 AM)
It was almost like time stopped when he came to bat. Remember that Jordan commercial "Frozen Moment"? Everybody just stopped whatever they were doing when they saw Mike on the TV. I felt the exact same way about Frank. Especially during the years of 1991-1994.

They have that Frank commercial doing the same thing on the bottom of the video links on the right.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/mlb/events...as500/index.jsp

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
Uhh.. he ain't comming back. They retired Baines before he stopped playing, they can sure as hell do the same for Frank.

They said they screwed up by retiring Baines number while he was still playing, and they wouldn't do that again.

Congrats to Mr. White Sox hitting his 500th homerun. And it doesn't surprise me that he got kicked out of the same game... I was there in 2003 when he hit his 400th and that was a great moment. I kind of wish he did it in a Sox uniform and im sure deep down he did as well. I grew up watching this guy and i can't wait to see his number retired and statue built in the outfield.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
They should put it in left center where he hit a 495 foot bomb off of Johan.

I was there for that! Any chance anybody would have a video of that, cuz i never got to see the highlight afterwards...Anyways, congrats to the Big Hurt, he's a sure-fire first-ballot hall-of-famer in my eyes! :cheers

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Didn't you admit late in 2005 or early last season that you just started following the Sox?

Yeah, I didn't start "following" the Sox until 2003, but I've always loved baseball. Frank Thomas was my idol as a kid, back when all I cared about was the Green Bay Packers.