KW Speaks about Buehrle's NTC

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
Contrary to popular belief, 10 and 5 rights DO kick in the middle of the season and Buehrle will become eligible for those 10 and 5 rights at some point during the 2010 season.

Correct, the 2011 stuff makes no sense at all. He came up in July of 2000 and hasn't been to the DL or AAA since, so July of 2010 is when 10/5 kicks in. Duh.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
I honestly can't believe the only hold up in this deal is a stinkin no trade clause, there has to be more to it than that. If not, there is something completely messsed up with this organization. Buehrle is a 10 and 5 guy in 2010 anyways, correct? So in other words the hold up on this freakin deal is cause Kenny wants the flexibility to trade Mark for two seasons? Why the hell would we be trading him in the first two years of a four year deal anyway?

Something isn't right here, and Kenny is really starting to get on my bad side(I know it's his worst nightmare ;) ) I really used to be a huge fan of his but not anymore.

I hear that. Is it just me, or is there something bad faith about KW signing Buehrle to a reduced four-year deal--knowing that Mark wants to stay here--only to then turn around and trade him off the bat because his cheap four year deal makes him great trade bait?

That seems awfully slimy to me.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct, the 2011 stuff makes no sense at all. He came up in July of 2000 and hasn't been to the DL or AAA since, so July of 2010 is when 10/5 kicks in. Duh.

Here is Gregor's article, it says 2011 - http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

I was told it goes by years of service, not a rolling clock (days). A full credited year of major league service is 178 days.

It would be worth getting clarification from an expert though, seeing as there is confusion on the matter.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
I recall the huge story last year (?) about the Braves having to move Andruw Jones before August 1st because that is when his 10/5 would kick in. Which is it?

By the date, it looks like they were referring to the trade deadline.

Edited by Big Hurtin

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
I recall the huge story last year (?) about the Braves having to move Andruw Jones before August 1st because that is when his 10/5 would kick in. Which is it?

It's just 10 years of service time, which means the rights could kick in midseason. I also originally though the 10 years meant 10 full calendar years, but that must be wrong. Because many people linked me to that Andruw Jones article, and I found a very similar article about Pudge Rodriguez when he played for Texas.

I even found information today that says a player can only use his 10-5 rights to block a trade to no more than 13 clubs.

I don't know if it is credible.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
By the date, it looks like they were referring to the trade deadline.

No, they were discussing a waiver wire deal. The important date was August 15. Here's the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2539544

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
It's just 10 years of service time, which means the rights could kick in midseason. I also originally though the 10 years meant 10 full calendar years, but that must be wrong. Because many people linked me to that Andruw Jones article, and I found a very similar article about Pudge Rodriguez when he played for Texas.

I even found information today that says a player can only use his 10-5 rights to block a trade to no more than 13 clubs.

I don't know if it is credible.

That's if he renounces his 10-5 rights in a contract signed before they kick in -- you must include at least limited trade protection. The NTC must protect against at least 13 teams. The relevant part of the CBA:

ARTICLE XIX—Assignment of Player Contracts

A. Consent to Assignment

(1) The contract of a Player with ten or more years of Major

League service, the last five of which have been with one Club,

shall not be assignable to another Major League Club without the

Player’s written consent. No consent from a Player shall be considered

effective until twenty-four hours from the Club’s request to the

Player for such consent. At his sole election, however, a Player may,

at the time he signs a multi-year contract with a Club, waive the

right to prevent an assignment of his contract under this Section

A(1), provided that the multi-year contract (a) is signed before the

Player has attained ten or more years of Major League service, the

last five of which have been with one Club, and (B) contains a notrade

provision that, at a minimum, limits the Club’s right to assign

the Player’s contract, during each of its years, to no more than sixteen

(16) Clubs designated or subsequently to be designated by the

Player.

While Buehrle and the White Sox had agreed on a four-year, $56 million contract extension, the deal disintegrated because the Sox won’t give the 28-year-old left-hander a full no-trade clause.

In the grand scheme of things, that seems like a ludicrous deal-breaker. And surely, the Sox will budge, right?

“No,’’ White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told the Daily Herald in an e-mail Saturday night. “I cannot build a championship team if I do. The short-term and long-term ramifications are just too great.’’

Does this asshole even know what he's talking about!! Last time I looked if your plan is to build a championship team, I would think locking a a solid No.1 starter would be a priority. Especially if you are signing him to a lower than market value contract, and only 4 years. I'm done with this guy. He's an arrogant and pmpous ass!! He reminds me so much of Jerry Krause it's makes me sick. The short and longterm ramifications are just to great?? Give me a f***ing break. This whole situation with Buerhle just makes me realize that our GM doesn't have a clue. That's it KW build a rotation around JC and JV, you f***ing moron!!

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
While Buehrle and the White Sox had agreed on a four-year, $56 million contract extension, the deal disintegrated because the Sox won’t give the 28-year-old left-hander a full no-trade clause.

In the grand scheme of things, that seems like a ludicrous deal-breaker. And surely, the Sox will budge, right?

“No,’’ White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told the Daily Herald in an e-mail Saturday night. “I cannot build a championship team if I do. The short-term and long-term ramifications are just too great.’’

Does this asshole even know what he's talking about!! Last time I looked if your plan is to build a championship team, I would think locking a a solid No.1 starter would be a priority. Especially if you are signing him to a lower than market value contract, and only 4 years. I'm done with this guy. He's an arrogant and pmpous ass!! He reminds me so much of Jerry Krause it's makes me sick. The short and longterm ramifications are just to great?? Give me a f***ing break. This whole situation with Buerhle just makes me realize that our GM doesn't have a clue. That's it KW build a rotation around JC and JV, you f***ing moron!!

yeah krause and williams never won anything

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe another poster raised this issue about your posts, is it possible to make the point you wish to make without all the profanity, it is a bit much.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
Here is Gregor's article, it says 2011 - http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

I was told it goes by years of service, not a rolling clock (days). A full credited year of major league service is 178 days.

It would be worth getting clarification from an expert though, seeing as there is confusion on the matter.

I am 99% positive that it is a rolling clock. That is unless things changed over the past year or two because I remember teams trying to move a guy earlier than the deadline in order to prevent the 10/5 rights that would be invoked by the time the official trade deadline occurred.

Andruw Jones is someone who had this scenario happen to him mid-season.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
yeah krause and williams never won anything

Krause inherited Michael Jordan. Without him he didn't win s***. He tried to rebuild the Bulls and f***ed it all up.

Although I am grateful for 2005. Williams caught lightning in a bottle in 2005, but before that didn't win s***. He pieced that team together on the fly. He took a chance with AJ, Iguchi after never seeing him, El Duque and Pods. If anyone thought before that season we were gonna win the World series they were out of their minds. The starting pitching is what carried us, and now KW wants to trade away our ACE, over a f***ing NTC. You really want me to trust this guy. No way. Maybe some of the people on here will, but not me. I always made fun of the Cubs when they got rid of Maddux. In my eyes this is the same situation. With the way he is going about business now with the Buerhle situation I don't see him winning s*** in the near future.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
I believe another poster raised this issue about your posts, is it possible to make the point you wish to make without all the profanity, it is a bit much.

Sorry. I'll try. I'm just very passionate about issues, and plus I just swear alot. I don't mean to offend anyone though.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Krause inherited Michael Jordan. Without him he didn't win s***. He tried to rebuild the Bulls and f***ed it all up.

Although I am grateful for 2005. Williams caught lightning in a bottle in 2005, but before that didn't win s***. He pieced that team together on the fly. He took a chance with AJ, Iguchi after never seeing him, El Duque and Pods. If anyone thought before that season we were gonna win the World series they were out of their minds. The starting pitching is what carried us, and now KW wants to trade away our ACE, over a f***ing NTC. You really want me to trust this guy. No way. Maybe some of the people on here will, but not me. I always made fun of the Cubs when they got rid of Maddux. In my eyes this is the same situation. With the way he is going about business now with the Buerhle situation I don't see him winning s*** in the near future.

Sorry. I'll try. I'm just very passionate about issues, and plus I just swear alot. I don't mean to offend anyone though.

I agree with the Maddux analogy completely. This is going to bite us on the ass.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
For the record, MB isn't an ace, he's a good number 2, great number 3 type pitcher.

i would say solid ace, great #2 and amazing #3. How many #2's can pitch 200+ innings a year, low-to mid-three ERA? Plus, great pickoff, defense, teammate and on...

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
For the record, MB isn't an ace, he's a good number 2, great number 3 type pitcher.

If we have to win game 7 of the World series and I get to pick which of our pitchers is starting, then I pick Mark Buerhle!!! He's our Ace, and I think he would be an Ace on alot of teams.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
If we have to win game 7 of the World series and I get to pick which of our pitchers is starting, then I pick Mark Buerhle!!! He's our Ace, and I think he would be an Ace on alot of teams.

I'd probably pick Gar.

Buehrle doesn't even have close to Ace stuff, but the results are what that counts. And if you compare his stats to any "ace", they are probably similar.

With that being said, I'd likely call Buehrle a no. 2, but ace isn't out of the question.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)

I could be wrong, but my gut feeling is that the following is the scenario as to why KW won't budge on the NTC right now.

KW is pretty well noted for making a huge deal when no one sees it coming. He's been quiet for some time now, so you know that something is brewing. Here's what I feel.............................KW will not go for the NTC because if he signs Buehrle without it, he has a prize pitcher with 70 mil less than what Zito is making.

If you have him locked up for 4 years at that price, I'm sure that KW has a "HUGE" deal for him in the wings. (Speculation..... GM "A: says KW....."We'll give you so and so, so and so, and so and so! If we are going to give yo this, we want a guarantee that you'll give us the Zito-stat pitcher with a contract in tact). The deal wll only happen without the NTC. If Buehrle sticks to his NTC and doesn't budge, then KW's HUGE deal is off, and we wind up signing Buehrle with the NTC. Right now, KW may be playing hardball about the NTC issue, because he's trying everything in his power for a HUGE deal to go through.

May sound a little crazy, but it does sound like something KW would do. Either way, we'll sign Buehrle. It took too long to build up this fan base. He's NOT going to just let it slip into the toilet overnight. No doubt.......We'll keep Buehrle.......................unless KW can figure out a way to get a bag of extreme goodies or him.

Why else would KW make the following statement that was quoted in The Daily Herald??

I get the sick feeling in my stomach this will be as much of a debacle for Chicago when the Cubs wouldn't give Greg Maddux 2 more million or whatever it was way back when and they lost him for the prime of his career. The way Mark can throw I would not be surprised if he is around for a long time. If Zito can get $126 million, I would guess Buehrle should be able to get close to $100 million guaranteed on the open market. I still cannot believe he'd agree to this deal as it's an incredible buy but if I am KW I'd accept this deal even if there was a Buehrle gets to sleep with Kenny's wife clause...

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
Krause never won without that ONE PLAYER-he had nothing to do with acquiring

Williams won a world champiionship-but quickly reverted to form & dismantled it

Yea all Kraus did was put Pippen, Grant, Cartwright and others around him, then rodman, harper, kerr, etc.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)

What makes you think that Mark actually agreed to a 4/56 deal? Because some "source" fed it to the media? Why would Mark take $70 million LESS than what Barry Zito got this past winter?

You may want to consider that before going on another profanity-laced tirade.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 01:07 AM)
What makes you think that Mark actually agreed to a 4/56 deal? Because some "source" fed it to the media? Why would Mark take $70 million LESS than what Barry Zito got this past winter?

You may want to consider that before going on another profanity-laced tirade.

The bold part is directly from that article.