KW Speaks about Buehrle's NTC

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
The bold part is directly from that article.

I've never seen Kenny, Mark, or Mark's agent quoted as saying anything about a 4/56 deal. IIRC, that figure was from some "source" and was thrown in with Kenny's comments about a NTC. It's amazing how journalists can mislead thier readers.

And think about it: Why would Mark agree to $70 million LESS than what Zito got? It makes absolutely no sense.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 01:14 AM)
I've never seen Kenny, Mark, or Mark's agent quoted as saying anything about a 4/56 deal. IIRC, that figure was from some "source" and was thrown in with Kenny's comments about a NTC. It's amazing how journalists can mislead thier readers.

And think about it: Why would Mark agree to $70 million LESS than what Zito got? It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know because he's Mark Buehrle and not Barry Zito? Maybe in actuality Mark really did want to stay here and realized he can live just fine on 56 million for the rest of his life. Athletes shouldn't be scrutinized if they chase the most money but they should be allowed to take less if it's somewhere they want to be as well.

To me I sure hope there is more to this than just the no trade clause but it certainly seems like 4 years 56 mill was indeed the deal because many places have reported that including Whitesox.com.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
I don't know because he's Mark Buehrle and not Barry Zito? Maybe in actuality Mark really did want to stay here and realized he can live just fine on 56 million for the rest of his life. Athletes shouldn't be scrutinized if they chase the most money but they should be allowed to take less if it's somewhere they want to be as well.

To me I sure hope there is more to this than just the no trade clause but it certainly seems like 4 years 56 mill was indeed the deal because many places have reported that including Whitesox.com.

The 4/56 number hasn't been attributed to any credible source. It's all anonymous smoke-and-mirrors right now. Whitesox.com is just re-hashing the same crap that we're reading in the papers. I don't believe any of it.

Mark very well may be OK with extending for $50-70 million below his market value. But I'll believe it when I see him do it. If Omar Minaya announces that the Mets have signed Mark to a 5/80 deal in December, I'll know that the 4/56 number was a lie.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 01:43 AM)
The 4/56 number hasn't been attributed to any credible source. It's all anonymous smoke-and-mirrors right now. Whitesox.com is just re-hashing the same crap that we're reading in the papers. I don't believe any of it.

Mark very well may be OK with extending for $50-70 million below his market value. But I'll believe it when I see him do it. If Omar Minaya announces that the Mets have signed Mark to a 5/80 deal in December, I'll know that the 4/56 number was a lie.

The Sox have overview on their own website though. I'm sure if this was pure fiction they would have had it taken down.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
The Sox have overview on their own website though. I'm sure if this was pure fiction they would have had it taken down.

It's not pure fiction, it's an unsubstantiated rumor. Also, MLB has a ton of control over the content and design of the team web sites, so I'm not sure how much say the Sox have in the matter. Hell, the Sox's own flagship radio station reported the 4/50 deal that never happened.

And speaking of that deal, I find it interesting that all of Soxtalk thought the 4/50 was ridiculously below Mark's value, yet they're overwhelmingly willing to believe 4/56 and that a NTC is the only sticking point. Is $6 million really that much of a difference-maker? It just doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 04:34 AM)
I get the sick feeling in my stomach this will be as much of a debacle for Chicago when the Cubs wouldn't give Greg Maddux 2 more million or whatever it was way back when and they lost him for the prime of his career. The way Mark can throw I would not be surprised if he is around for a long time. If Zito can get $126 million, I would guess Buehrle should be able to get close to $100 million guaranteed on the open market. I still cannot believe he'd agree to this deal as it's an incredible buy but if I am KW I'd accept this deal even if there was a Buehrle gets to sleep with Kenny's wife clause...

Lol - that's a good one... :D

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
It's not pure fiction, it's an unsubstantiated rumor. Also, MLB has a ton of control over the content and design of the team web sites, so I'm not sure how much say the Sox have in the matter. Hell, the Sox's own flagship radio station reported the 4/50 deal that never happened.

And speaking of that deal, I find it interesting that all of Soxtalk thought the 4/50 was ridiculously below Mark's value, yet they're overwhelmingly willing to believe 4/56 and that a NTC is the only sticking point. Is $6 million really that much of a difference-maker? It just doesn't make any sense.

Well considering it has been reported by every major news source in Chicago, I believe the 4/56 is what they agreed upon. I also believe Buerhle is giving the Sox a big discount because he really wants to stay here, and the only thing holding the deal up is a full NTC that KW and JR are to unwilling and stupid not to give. Buerhle is giving them a great deal, now it's KW turn to give in and give him a nTC, because he has deserved it and wants to stya in Chicago. Like I said before, no signing Buerhle, will lead us to losing out on Garland also. KW has preached about wanting to compete every year for A world series title. He has preached he wants the city to be a Sox town and not a Cubs town. Well I got news for him, he isn't gonna do that by trading MB and JG, This is gonna turn alot of fans against him. You build championship teams around pitching, plain and simple, and he is gonna ship Mark out just because of a NTC. Wouldn't you think that he would build around MB and JG. MB wants a 4 year deal at 14 mil a year, and a NTC. Give it to him. Why would you want to trade the guy anyway. Like I said you build around this guy. Build around JG. He wants to be able to get prospects?? Well if him and his staff hadn't done such a crappy job in the drafts we wouldn't need to build up the farm system. We could plug guys into holes that we have. Instead of trading away the most prized and wanted thing in all of baseball, great starting pitching, with below market contracts. If this plays out and MB gets traded, I will not support this team until KW is gone, that's how strongly I feel on this subject. In my eyes KW has lied about wanting to compete every year by even entertaining the idea of trading the face of your ORG. It's all about the Bottom Line when you finally get down to it with JR and KW. There is no allegiance to players in this org. There always has to be a bitter parting of the ways. This to me is just another example. Well if this is the way they are gonna treat MB, then you know what, they can shove it up their ass. I have more faith that there will be peace in the middle east, than I do with KW selling off our players and building a team that will compete in the fututre. This will go down as our Greg Maddux, but oh I forgot "WE ARE CHICAGO BASEBALL"

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
Well considering it has been reported by every major news source in Chicago, I believe the 4/56 is what they agreed upon. I also believe Buerhle is giving the Sox a big discount because he really wants to stay here, and the only thing holding the deal up is a full NTC that KW and JR are to unwilling and stupid not to give.

Would you also believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
Would you also believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?

Wow. I won't even comment on this post.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Some ocean front property in Arizona..? ;)

Or this one.

To me the face of the organization should be a competitive team every year, not an individual player.

A good team that is playoff caliber with a chance to go all the way is way more important to me than any individual player. Too many come and go. I loved Dick Allen, loved Oscar Gamble, and many more and guess what, they left. I love Buehrle too. But if he goes, I will judge it on what they get back for him and go from there. If I am that angry at Ken Williams or Rick hahn or Jerry Reinsdorf I will send them a certified return receipt letter and express my dissatisfaction.

One other point and that is, all these guys dont want to leave the White Sox. Thomas and Guillen and now Buerhle and Ventura and all these guys, they didn't or don't want to leave. What does that tell you, it tells me the White Sox treat their players really well behind the scenes. Heck even Carlton Fisk stayed here for 12-13 yrs or so. The org. must be doing something these players like because it seems players want to stay here. Not taking sides but that is a credit to the owners who apparantly hire good people.

Now if they could only hire better amateur scouts!!!

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Wow. I won't even comment on this post.

Or this one.

If you're absolutely convinced that Mark agreed to $70 million LESS in guaranteed money than Barry Zito got just because he's a swell guy and really, really, really wants to stay in Chicago and that it's most definitely true because some unnamed source reported it to the Trib last week and everybody else in the media decided to regurgitate it, then I'd say that you're being incredibly naive.

The truth is that nobody knows what the heck is going on behind closed doors. Getting incredibly upset about Mark's illogical agreement to an illogical contract and JR/KW's illogical refusal to accept this steal-of-a-deal because of a NTC clause is a waste of time, IMO. When Mark actually DOES sign a contract later this year, we'll have a better idea of whether this "reported deal" actually occurred or not.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
I have more faith that there will be peace in the middle east, than I do with KW selling off our players and building a team that will compete in the fututre. This will go down as our Greg Maddux, but oh I forgot "WE ARE CHICAGO BASEBALL"

Yeah those trades he made, with major pieces of the team, in 2003 and 2004 really bit us in the ass.

But I can see why you wouldn't have any faith...KW has no history of winning.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
Yeah those trades he made, with major pieces of the team, in 2003 and 2004 really bit us in the ass.

Besides 2005 he doesn't have a history of winning anything. there isn't one thing this guy has won besides in 2005. And that is with having the most talent in our division for all them years. He has one division title and one pennant and one WS champioship. Some people are satisfied with that. I'm not one of them. I'm just as grateful to him as anyone for 2005. And I also realize that team was built on pitching, anchored by MB. The same MB he now won't give a NTC and is gonna run outta town. With JG soon to follow. So as for me having faith in Kenny GM, not me. But some will agree with whatever he does because he brought us a Championship in 2005. I don't and I won't. KW says one thing and then turns around and does another, says starting pitching is the most important thing, but yet will let your best starter walk away because he refuses to give hom a NTC, with JG soon to follow.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)

He's won once. Its not like he has a history of winning. 1 time in 7 years in a 5 team division is below average. Considering he has had the most resources to work with in several of those seasons and considering how poor Detroit and KC and for several years Cleveland were in the division, it makes his history even worse. His "I'm used to winning" line several weeks ago was laughable. 2005 was great, but he was very fortunate a lot of things went his way, even with guys who turned him away. It doesn't take anything away from it, but its not like KW is head and shoulders smarter about baseball than any other GM in the game. His arrogance since 2005 is obvious. He has all the answers, yet with a payroll over $100 million, all the best talent, the greatest coaches, the best owner, the best manager, his team finished 3rd last year and is in 4th this year in a 5 team race. I think its time KW get off his high horse.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
He's won once. Its not like he has a history of winning. 1 time in 7 years in a 5 team division is below average. Considering he has had the most resources to work with in several of those seasons and considering how poor Detroit and KC and for several years Cleveland were in the division, it makes his history even worse. His "I'm used to winning" line several weeks ago was laughable. 2005 was great, but he was very fortunate a lot of things went his way, even with guys who turned him away. It doesn't take anything away from it, but its not like KW is head and shoulders smarter about baseball than any other GM in the game. His arrogance since 2005 is obvious. He has all the answers, yet with a payroll over $100 million, all the best talent, the greatest coaches, the best owner, the best manager, his team finished 3rd last year and is in 4th this year in a 5 team race. I think its time KW get off his high horse.

:cheers

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Besides 2005 he doesn't have a history of winning anything. there isn't one thing this guy has won besides in 2005. And that is with having the most talent in our division for all them years. He has one division title and one pennant and one WS champioship. Some people are satisfied with that. I'm not one of them. I'm just as grateful to him as anyone for 2005. And I also realize that team was built on pitching, anchored by MB. The same MB he now won't give a NTC and is gonna run outta town. With JG soon to follow. So as for me having faith in Kenny GM, not me. But some will agree with whatever he does because he brought us a Championship in 2005. I don't and I won't. KW says one thing and then turns around and does another, says starting pitching is the most important thing, but yet will let your best starter walk away because he refuses to give hom a NTC, with JG soon to follow.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)

He has had nothing but winning seasons in his tenure, he has a .537 winning percentage (best in team history), has never finished lower than 3rd, AND has a world series ring. Feel free to criticize, he is certainly not perfect - but he absolutely has a history of winning.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
Besides 2005 he doesn't have a history of winning anything. there isn't one thing this guy has won besides in 2005. And that is with having the most talent in our division for all them years. He has one division title and one pennant and one WS champioship.

That's one more WS championship than any other GM in the past 90 years. But, yeah, he hasn't done anything outside of that. :oldrolleyes

And I also realize that team was built on pitching, anchored by MB.

Also anchored by Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia, two big-name FAs that Kenny brought into town. Let's also not forget about the contributions of El Duque, Hermanson, Cotts, Politte, and Jenks - all acquired in the KW era.

I agree that Kenny's done a bad job with our farm system. But when he assumed GM duties of a middle-market, haven't-won-in-forever franchise, the moves that he made where overwhelmingly positive and he got the job done. He may not be the right GM from here on out, but he was definitely the right guy 6 1/2 years ago.

The same MB he now won't give a NTC and is gonna run outta town... but yet will let your best starter walk away because he refuses to give hom a NTC, with JG soon to follow.

If you have been following the Sox for 30+ years, you should have a better idea of who really pulls the strings in the front office. I'll give you a hint: It's not Kenny Williams.

Edited by WCSox

I wonder if these guys have anything to do with the Sox and their unwillingness to resign Buehrle:

Fernandez, 79 wins with Sox, 28 wins after being traded at the age of 26

Alvarez, 67 wins with Sox, 35 wins after being traded at the age of 27

McDowell, 91 wins with Sox, 36 wins after being traded at the age of 28

Baldwin, 79 wins with Sox, 10 wins after being traded at the age of 29

These guys only had marginal success after leaving the Sox even though they all commanded larger contracts from their future teams.

Are these guys next:

Buehrle, 102 wins with Sox, 28 yrs old

Garland, 88 wins with Sox, 27 yrs old

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
He has had nothing but winning seasons in his tenure, he has a .537 winning percentage (best in team history), has never finished lower than 3rd, AND has a world series ring. Feel free to criticize, he is certainly not perfect - but he absolutely has a history of winning.

Silly facts.. :bang

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)

How impressive is that percentage when for 5 of those seasons the Sox played 2 of the worst teams in basebal 38 times a season, and Cleveland as well for about 3 or 4 years was brutal.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
I wonder if these guys have anything to do with the Sox and their unwillingness to resign Buehrle:

Fernandez, 79 wins with Sox, 28 wins after being traded at the age of 26

Alvarez, 67 wins with Sox, 35 wins after being traded at the age of 27

McDowell, 91 wins with Sox, 36 wins after being traded at the age of 28

Baldwin, 79 wins with Sox, 10 wins after being traded at the age of 29

These guys only had marginal success after leaving the Sox even though they all commanded larger contracts from their future teams.

Are these guys next:

Buehrle, 102 wins with Sox, 28 yrs old

Garland, 88 wins with Sox, 27 yrs old

That was something that I asked a couple of weeks ago... Who, that the Sox got rid of, has proven them wrong in their history of not giving out long term pitching contracts?