Pods to be placed on DL

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Owens is not a prospect. He is a career minor leaguer. He can't hit at the major league level, and he has proven that already. It pisses me off that they will not bring up Sweeney. They need to DFA Scott Notoolnik and Darin Grinderstad, and bring up Sweeney and Anderson.(they can wait until Anderson is healthy to DFA Grinderstad)Furthermore either Iguchi or Uribe needs to be traded to make way for Richar. BTW is Richar a viable option at SS? I've heard conflicting reports on this issue.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
Ryan Sweeney went 5-for-5 and homered Friday in his fourth game back at Triple-A Charlotte.

Sweeney was 3-for-15 in the first three games after being sent down by the White Sox.

:huh

O

I'm confused. Sweeney kicked ass in Charlotte all month and was not recently sent down. (definitely not his 4th game back).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
Jerry Owens is not a prospect. He is a career minor leaguer. He can't hit at the major league level, and he has proven that already. It pisses me off that they will not bring up Sweeney. They need to DFA Scott Notoolnik and Darin Grinderstad, and bring up Sweeney and Anderson.(they can wait until Anderson is healthy to DFA Grinderstad)

You could just as well taken out Jerry Owens and put in Brian Anderson. I'd take (a healthy) Erstad or Podsednik over Anderson and his crappy attitude/effort any day of the week.

QUOTE(russ99 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
I'd take (a healthy) Erstad or Podsednik over Anderson and his crappy attitude/effort any day of the week.

Too bad such a player doesn't exist. Erstad and Podsednik at perpetually injured and pretty much useless at this point in their careers. At least Anderson has some upside/potential unlike either of Erstad or Owens.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
Too bad such a player doesn't exist. Erstad and Podsednik at perpetually injured and pretty much useless at this point in their careers. At least Anderson has some upside/potential unlike either of Erstad or Owens.

Out of all those options, I'd have to go with death...

Don't write off Owens just yet. He did win a Southern League batting title in 2005. That same year, Ryan Sweeney was completely overmatched at AA. One homerun, and maybe 20 something RBI's. He couldn't hit when he was surrounded in the lineup by Owens, Chris Young, Josh Fields & Andy Gonzalez. Owens hasn't even been playing baseball that long, he's a work in progress, but he can fly. I'd bank on Owens in the long run over Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney's a cheaper version of Borchard. I never would have thought that from that loaded 2005 Barons club, Andy Gonzalez would be such an important contributor to the White Sox now. I was certain that Sweeney would repeat AA in 2006 though, you can imagine my shock that he was promoted to AAA. Of course, centerfield wouldn't be such an issue if KW wouldn't have dealt Young.

Sweeney a cheaper version of Borchard is one of the worst comparisons I have ever heard. And saying that Owens is/will be better then Sweeney is pretty darn laughable as well. In Owens short stint in the majors so far, he has shown that he is not a major league hitter. I don't give a crap if he also lead the SL in homers and rbi's, he ain't gonna do anything in the majors unless he gets a total overhaul with his swing, and Greg Walker ain't the guy you want working on someone's swing.

QUOTE(JPN366 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Don't write off Owens just yet. He did win a Southern League batting title in 2005. That same year, Ryan Sweeney was completely overmatched at AA. One homerun, and maybe 20 something RBI's. He couldn't hit when he was surrounded in the lineup by Owens, Chris Young, Josh Fields & Andy Gonzalez. Owens hasn't even been playing baseball that long, he's a work in progress, but he can fly. I'd bank on Owens in the long run over Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney's a cheaper version of Borchard. I never would have thought that from that loaded 2005 Barons club, Andy Gonzalez would be such an important contributor to the White Sox now. I was certain that Sweeney would repeat AA in 2006 though, you can imagine my shock that he was promoted to AAA. Of course, centerfield wouldn't be such an issue if KW wouldn't have dealt Young.

You make two good points - Owens may still turn out to be pretty good, and there is no such thing as a can't-miss or can't-hit prospect.

But I still think Sweeney shows a lot more signs of being effective at the major league level than Owens does, at this point.