Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
Heads, tell me about Dodie Dunson

I'm a quick one....:)

Is dyslexic, left ISU because the program we had in place didn't really help.

Not really a true point guard, can play there, not your best option. Above average defender, outstanding free throw shooter. Streaky shooter in general. I can't imagine he'd ever start at IU, but not a horrible option for 10 or so minutes a game.

Can't we start the college basketball thread yet? We have our Midnight Madness in about a week. That's also the date/weekend of Shumpert's visit, and a lot of the students know he's going to be there.

And our top recruit, Trevor Mbakwe, was finally cleared (fully) to play and practice with the team. We're very deep this year. If one of our big men takes their game to the next level, we'll contend for Big East supremacy. If not, we'll probably still finish towards the back of the top five.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm a quick one....:)

Is dyslexic, left ISU because the program we had in place didn't really help.

Not really a true point guard, can play there, not your best option. Above average defender, outstanding free throw shooter. Streaky shooter in general. I can't imagine he'd ever start at IU, but not a horrible option for 10 or so minutes a game.

They're looking for somewhat of a stopgap/role player. It would actually be advantageous for us to go the JUCO route with one player this year to help balance out the classes. I doubt he would ever be a starter, but someone who could come in and play behind Armon Bassett and Jordan Crawford. They could then go after a top PG in the 2009 or 2010 class.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 04:25 PM)
Yeah, we fell out pretty early this summer. We'll be okay though. Things are on the up and up.

With Gray hurt and IU doing well so far, it would not shock me for IU to find its way back in his good graces. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if that doesn't happen either.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 06:50 PM)
They're looking for somewhat of a stopgap/role player. It would actually be advantageous for us to go the JUCO route with one player this year to help balance out the classes. I doubt he would ever be a starter, but someone who could come in and play behind Armon Bassett and Jordan Crawford. They could then go after a top PG in the 2009 or 2010 class.

I can't imagine he'd be a bad fit.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
So to break up all the Illinois Bball recruiting hate, looks like Jerrance is paying of already. Richardson is a huge recruit for the program right now. http://www.whoitv.com/sports/sports_story.aspx?id=56453

Things look pretty good in regards to 2009 through 2011 recruiting. I just hope the fact that the team is going to suck the next 2 seasons doesn't end up hurting the inroads made in those classes.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 12:19 AM)
Things look pretty good in regards to 2009 through 2011 recruiting. I just hope the fact that the team is going to suck the next 2 seasons doesn't end up hurting the inroads made in those classes.

Suck is a bit too strong. But the teams will be no where near the level you, me or any Illini fans want the program at. However, if Weber does bring in strong classes in 09, 10, 11 etc. I think you have to give him these down years. When the guy has talent he wins big.

big day for illinois basketball recruiting (who ever thought i'd get a chance to say that).

richardson and paul are arguably the top-two guards in illinois in the 09 class, and also likely top-50 to 100 kids in the nation.

frankly, i'm shocked.

looks like jerrance was a good hire.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
Suck is a bit too strong. But the teams will be no where near the level you, me or any Illini fans want the program at. However, if Weber does bring in strong classes in 09, 10, 11 etc. I think you have to give him these down years. When the guy has talent he wins big.

Well to me, suck means not in the NCAA Tournament for Illinois, and the teams the next 2 years, IMO, can't possibly do as well as last years team, which was basically the last team to get an invite to the dance. HOWEVER, with that said, I think all those fans who said Bruce could fix a lot of things by improving his staff of assistants look to be right at the moment. Losing Tracy Webster may have been the best thing to ever happen to this program long term when you look at the work Jerrance is getting done already, as it seems Richmond's commit is still solid and now you have Paul and Richardson on board.

Simpson should be the first 2008 verbal soon, and the Illini NEED to get at least 1 guard out of that class IMO, or else they will have to stard Steve Holdren at guard in 2008-2009 or something. But the long term prognosis of the program has drastically improved, because if they can just recruit at an average level, things look good since we know Bruce can coach. My anger at Bruce will continue to be instense as long as Jamar Smith is in the program, but he's getting a lot of problems in terms of recruiting fixed it appears.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
Well to me, suck means not in the NCAA Tournament for Illinois, and the teams the next 2 years, IMO, can't possibly do as well as last years team, which was basically the last team to get an invite to the dance. HOWEVER, with that said, I think all those fans who said Bruce could fix a lot of things by improving his staff of assistants look to be right at the moment. Losing Tracy Webster may have been the best thing to ever happen to this program long term when you look at the work Jerrance is getting done already, as it seems Richmond's commit is still solid and now you have Paul and Richardson on board.

Simpson should be the first 2008 verbal soon, and the Illini NEED to get at least 1 guard out of that class IMO, or else they will have to stard Steve Holdren at guard in 2008-2009 or something. But the long term prognosis of the program has drastically improved, because if they can just recruit at an average level, things look good since we know Bruce can coach. My anger at Bruce will continue to be instense as long as Jamar Smith is in the program, but he's getting a lot of problems in terms of recruiting fixed it appears.

Inside info? Rumor?...

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
Simpson should be the first 2008 verbal soon, and the Illini NEED to get at least 1 guard out of that class IMO, or else they will have to stard Steve Holdren at guard in 2008-2009 or something.

How do you figure? Starting backcourt next year will be DMac and Jamar with Frazier the top guard off of the bench.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't know where's its coming from, but speculation on the IB says the Illini will have two more verbals by Sunday, one of those being Stan Simpson.

The first one is for sure Simpson, that one is all but public already. The second one is kind of a mystery, but Joseph Bertrand is the name I am hearing the most, as he loved the Jerrance hire. However that is just a guess because I haven't talked to my friends in Sterling or at U of I today yet, but yeah the Simpson thing is a lock though. The other verbal could also be class of 2010 guard Anthony Johnson though. He's the #2 player in the state for 2010 behind Richmond, and his coach at Whitney Young has a very good relationship with Bruce. That is just total speculation though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101