Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bragg has already mentioned Illinois, Kansas, and Kentucky will be 3 of his 5 official visits. I think its really between these 3 as Ohio State has fallen back. But Kentucky has been hot on some others like Doral Moore.

Evans and Thomas have said that Illinois will be getting official visits as well.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Bragg has already mentioned Illinois, Kansas, and Kentucky will be 3 of his 5 official visits. I think its really between these 3 as Ohio State has fallen back. But Kentucky has been hot on some others like Doral Moore.

Evans and Thomas have said that Illinois will be getting official visits as well.

No he has not, he has stated they will be in his top 5 but he has not said that Illinois will for sure get an official visit, only UK has been set and confirmed by him.

Link

We are in good positions, but thinking all 3 of Bragg/Thomas/Evans are coming to Illinois is just foolish at this point in the recruiting season. If we get one of them it'll be a great get considering our recent history and the fact that they are all 5* players (Evans is a high 4/5 depending on the scouting service).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
IIRC the Matt Carlino situation was handled really poorly as well, though that was about 5 years ago now.

There is zero consistency in these situations. A few schools recruit harder than John Calipari, and less clean. Some of the situations where nothing is done are just ridiculous. They need to clean this up, and clean it up quick.

No coach watched Bragg more than Ford, and the Illini hope that Bragg will be the hero that takes the program to the next level. Illinois has been in the mix for some time, and they recently have been in even better position than most would have believed. Bragg said in June that the Illini were the leaders in his recruitment, based on “the way they come at me.” He talked more about that last weekend, noting that it has a big deal to do with his relationship with Groce.

“When we’re talking on the phone, he’s not an ordinary coach. He gets to know me better as a person and a player. He asks me what movies I watch, how’s it going in school, how’s my sister—he knows all my family mostly,” Bragg said.

http://future150.com/hs/basketball-n...-in-july-12952

(from the article linked by bigruss)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Encouraging, but remember Evans and Thomas haven't even been on campus yet. Bragg may have been but I can't remember.

I think we get Evans, Thomas seems to love the attention and it just so happens Illinois fans are giving it to him. Whether that means he comes to Illinois I have no idea, we have a good shot but I would not be surprised at all to see him go elsewhere (Rock/OSU stay away from him already).

Bragg, while the staff has been doing a fantastic job recruiting him, I just don't see him turning down UK/KU at this point for Illinois.

OSU is probably only going after Esa or will bank a scholly. They are about done.

Apparently Bragg is a Kansas v Illinois battle at this moment. I know that's not ideal considering what's happened before but you have to like the odds compared to having 5 or 6 teams really in the mix.

Edited by RockRaines

I was pretty disappointed with Anderson hire, but after retaining Tim fuller and hiring Fulford, recruiting is not my concern. This is a damn good young nucleus. He has earned his three year window for success.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
I was pretty disappointed with Anderson hire, but after retaining Tim fuller and hiring Fulford, recruiting is not my concern. This is a damn good young nucleus. He has earned his three year window for success.

I've been extremely impressed by their ability to recruit so far, seems like they got the attention of a lot of good players. We'll see how he can coach and if he can dig that program out but it's a good start to his tenure.

Thomas down to 6, Illini still in it.

Evans cutting list tomorrow, and there's this:

"I’m told that there will be a surprise omission on Wednesday morning—with a team who has been rumored to be a big-time contender left out."

Although supposedly he'll have a date for Illinois' official today.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Thomas down to 6, Illini still in it.

Evans cutting list tomorrow, and there's this:

"I’m told that there will be a surprise omission on Wednesday morning—with a team who has been rumored to be a big-time contender left out."

Although supposedly he'll have a date for Illinois' official today.

Did you read that Derek Piper guys' article?

According to a source, the Illini are set to finalize an official visit with Evans by the end of today. He will announce his final list of four schools on Wednesday and Illinois has already secured their spot. There is another school who already has a visit in place, and the rest will be worked out before Wednesday morning.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
For a true shocker I would say Clemson fits that bill since they recruited him first. However, it's more likely USC or Tenn who gets booted.

Agreed. Sounds like we've been recruiting him as hard as anyone, but I suspect it will be too late in the game to really make a difference. Always an issue with a new coaching staff trying to catch-up on current year recruits.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
Agreed. Sounds like we've been recruiting him as hard as anyone, but I suspect it will be too late in the game to really make a difference. Always an issue with a new coaching staff trying to catch-up on current year recruits.

You mean this isn't going to work?

925551_767446523294434_1047078598_n.jpg

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Brunson official Aug 29-31

I'm kind of surprised that MSU hasn't scheduled one of his officials yet. This whole thing makes me feel like the Illini are in a lot better shape with Brunson than I originally thought.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
I'm kind of surprised that MSU hasn't scheduled one of his officials yet. This whole thing makes me feel like the Illini are in a lot better shape with Brunson than I originally thought.

MSU or Michigan probably want to be last to make the last impression.

Really hoping Fulford can deliver Bryant to Missouri, but obviously it won't be a slam dunk. Lots of chatter that recent Gill-Caesar commit really means little for the rest. Fulford was only there a few years.