Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
You mean this isn't going to work?

925551_767446523294434_1047078598_n.jpg

Ha, I hadn't seen that before. Surprising since I'm a member of both 247 and Rivals. I like the photoshop work, but I don't really understand it. I'm not sure what Chris Paul has to do with Evans other than being a PG.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
What's the connection to Tennessee? Didn't Paul play at Wake Forest his entire college career?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It makes no sense at all. Our Athletic Department does some amazing work with that kind of recruiting stuff, so I'm perplexed by that one. I feel like it could be fake.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
MSU or Michigan probably want to be last to make the last impression.

There isn't a last impression made when he commits after his first visit!

In all seriousness, here we are again after Black Friday.

Don't get excited about recruiting, don't get excited about recruiting, don't get excited about recruiting....

Excited about recruiting. Damn it.

Oh also Brunson's 4th visit is to Purdue? WTF?

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
I'm kind of surprised that MSU hasn't scheduled one of his officials yet. This whole thing makes me feel like the Illini are in a lot better shape with Brunson than I originally thought.

He's visiting MSU Sept 19-21.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
Jimmy Whitt is committing tomorrow, bmags you think you guys will get him? He's one of Illinois' CG targets, really hoping he pulls the trigger for us.

I highly doubt it's ILL tomorrow. Strange to skip all the officials.

It's funny, for most in-state recruits, you think you have a good shot. But the past few years, very few Columbia, Mo (where mizzou is located) have committed to the school.

I can't really blame the kids. There is a "nice to stay near home where my parents can see me" and there is "literally staying at home".

He'd be great to get but I understand if he doesn't go Mizzou.

At Mizzous sbnation site there is discussion on how meaningless locking down borders is in basketball. Only three top 25 recruits went to in state school. I kindve thought it has been overblown for a while. How many city kids identify with the state school? Most kids root for their parents college or some random reason (see Duke).

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
At Mizzous sbnation site there is discussion on how meaningless locking down borders is in basketball. Only three top 25 recruits went to in state school. I kindve thought it has been overblown for a while. How many city kids identify with the state school? Most kids root for their parents college or some random reason (see Duke).

It used to mean more. Now with pretty much anything being nationally televised, leaving home isn't nearly as big of a deal as it was even a generation ago. You see a lot more people rooting for teams that they have no geographic connection to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
It used to mean more. Now with pretty much anything being nationally televised, leaving home isn't nearly as big of a deal as it was even a generation ago. You see a lot more people rooting for teams that they have no geographic connection to.

I think there's still something to wanting to play in a certain region or conference, though. Growing up I always enjoyed watching Big Ten games more than random Pac-10 or ACC or SEC or Big 12 games. And I had a rooting interest in the smaller schools, like the MVC.

It's never going to happen but I don't even know what I would do if Evans, Brunson, and Thomas went to Illinois. I would probably paint everything I own orange. Everything.

Now that I got that out of the way, feeling really good about getting one of Brunson/Evans and being stoked about finally getting our PG of the future.