2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

The Oz goes after Uribe:

Asked if Uribe's late-season offensive surge was enough to persuade the organization to pick up the $5 million option for next season, Guillen pulled no punches in his reply.

''Believe me, there's nothing out there that's better than Uribe,'' Guillen said. ''Believe me, it is not there. But he drives me crazy. I'll be honest with you: Uribe can drive everyone crazy. All of a sudden, the season is over, you look up and 20 home runs and 70 RBI.

''As the manager, you say, 'How the hell did he do that?' To be honest with you, I don't see any shortstop better out there than Uribe. Maybe equal to him on the field, throwing and catching the ball. But I wish Uribe at least once would find out how good he is, how dangerous he can be.''

With another RBI double, Uribe has 18 doubles and 67 RBI to go along with his 20 home runs. He had two hits and is hitting .319 with five homers and 14 RBI in his last 19 games. Add a .977 fielding percentage -- second in the AL among shortstops -- and keeping Uribe seems like a no-brainer.

But then there's the .281 on-base percentage to go along with 100-plus strikeouts again and a .233 batting average. According to Guillen, there's also a problem with Uribe staying in shape again.

''If someone is a friend of Uribe's, tell him to lose some weight because he's going to be back to a utility player pretty soon,'' Guillen said. ''I'm just trying to be honest and be a friend for him. When you're young and you're good, you can show up here weighing 350 pounds and play shortstop. But when you have the kind of years like that and we're a losing team, you can give someone else some excuse.

''In 2004, he was a backup of Jose Valentin, a backup of [Joe] Crede, a backup of Willie Harris. I liked him so much, the way he was playing, the White Sox gave him a three-year deal because of the way he plays. Then he should appreciate that. I'm just being honest with him.''

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is any coincidence that Juan played his best baseball while he was fighting for his career, either this year or in 2004. I wish we had the personell to start out with him as a super utility guy again, maybe it would wake his ass up.

The cliche "fat and happy" comes to mind with Juan.

It's neat that there's been no discussion of the Cubs clinching on the Sox board.

I assume you are all like me, shrug of the shoulders and who cares.

Since we won it all two years ago I could care less if they win it all.

It will not bother me either way. We got there first.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:27 AM)
So now Josh Fields isn't playing LF this offseason?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

"I'll put it to you this way," Williams said during a 35-minute interview with reporters Saturday. "There isn't one player out there who will be available that we will turn away from. If that player can help us, we're going to go down that road to see if the fit is there and the economics match."

Am I reading too much into this quote? Did anybody else read what Williams said there and think of one guy?

(His name need not be mentioned -- most everyone should know who I'm talking about.)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:39 AM)
Am I reading too much into this quote?

Yes, you are reading too much in to it. KW prefaced that comment with "This is going to get in trouble with the rumor mill" or something to that effect. A reporter asked if there was enough money to go after free agents, or if there were certain free agents that were out of reach, and that was KW's response, that there is no free agent that are not even going to look at based on money.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 01:39 AM)
Am I reading too much into this quote? Did anybody else read what Williams said there and think of one guy?

(His name need not be mentioned -- most everyone should know who I'm talking about.)

You really think we can afford Greg Norton?

Kenny looks to become Brian Sabean. Lets get old expensive, and not so good players and then trade anything reasonable in the farm system so we can go out and get more old players. Mike Myers is returning. GMAFB, And then we get the company line from the radio crew on how they are pretty sure that Uribe is going to be back. So basically we have an old, espensive team that can't hit, with no future. Well that pretty much does it for me. I am taking my money that goes to my ticket plan, and will put it to another use. Screw this. I can watch old expensive garbage from the comforts of my home.

I wonder if we can get some mid 30's or over 40s guys to play 2nd and LF. Maybe send Fields back to the minors, so we can continue to the old and gray plan. Maybe we can resign Erstad, and have him bat leadoff. Its going to take a long long long time to rescue this franchise from these silly decisions.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
So...Mets...Brewers...Padres...excellent work you guys did on those upgrades you made at the deadline. Yup, boy, not picking up Contreras when he was worth basically nothing sure paid dividends for you, didn't it.

I can't believe teams like the DBacks didn't try to acquire Jermaine Dye.

I also didn't like KW's comments about Uribe in that Trib article you linked.

Juan has proven he's not an everyday ss offensive wise.

He's a head case as a hitter who won't do what it takes to get better.

Time for Juan to try it somewhere else.

Or else we'll be seeing him take that hard hack, swinging and missing again next

year, or popping up of course when he should be moving runners.

He sucks.

Edited by greg775

Manager Ozzie Guillen took a different tack on Sunday, spreading the blame throughout the organization.

"We failed all the way from the top to the bottom," Guillen said. "We failed from Jerry Reinsdorf all the way to the bat boy. Everyone failed this year. Hopefully, next year, we turn around and do a better job."

lmao @ the bat boy. Harsh.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
So...Mets...Brewers...Padres...excellent work you guys did on those upgrades you made at the deadline. Yup, boy, not picking up Contreras when he was worth basically nothing sure paid dividends for you, didn't it.

Especially because they could have had Contreras simply by picking up his contract.