2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
Well Mike North just had Don't Stop Believing playing, and said this is for the cub fans, good luck and dont stop believing.

We can officially pull his fake white sox fan card.

Ok, that's crossing the f***in line.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
The trib today hinted that both Gooch and A-row were going to be back next season. Gooch said he even kept all of his white sox stuff.

Link.

I wouldn't go so far as saying it hinted they would be, more like they might be. The Gooch comment certainly was interesting. They both seem to like the idea of being back.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Gooch - no thanks. A-Row - no thanks again, but I've talked about this before.

Agreed on Gooch, Richar should be able to put up around league average numbers next season for less money and far more range at 2nd than Gooch. As for Rowand, well we need to find a cf some where. Depending on the cost, I'm certainly not opposed to it but he's not exactly my first choice either.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
Agreed on Gooch, Richar should be able to put up around league average numbers next season for less money and far more range at 2nd than Gooch. As for Rowand, well we need to find a cf some where. Depending on the cost, I'm certainly not opposed to it but he's not exactly my first choice either.

I dont know how we can rely on Richar putting up league avg numbers with such certainty. It wouldnt be that bad to get him some seasoning as a super sub and see if he can grab the job from a Vet starter. And there is a bit of something about the effect that Rowand has on team's clubhouses, no matter how much people on here dont want to admit it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
I dont know how we can rely on Richar putting up league avg numbers with such certainty. It wouldnt be that bad to get him some seasoning as a super sub and see if he can grab the job from a Vet starter. And there is a bit of something about the effect that Rowand has on team's clubhouses, no matter how much people on here dont want to admit it.

IMO I'll take my chances with Richar rather than throwing 3 million at an aging, average 2b. I do believe Richar will put up league average numbers at least, and like I said he's a better defender than Tad already. Agreed on Row though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
IMO I'll take my chances with Richar rather than throwing 3 million at an aging, average 2b. I do believe Richar will put up league average numbers at least, and like I said he's a better defender than Tad already. Agreed on Row though.

Agreed on the defense. The one thing I like is the added speed that Richar brings and the possibility that he can replicate Gooch's power numbers. However Gooch has been hitting .300 with Philly and has shown that he is most valuable in the 2 hole, something that we really need.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
Agreed on the defense. The one thing I like is the added speed that Richar brings and the possibility that he can replicate Gooch's power numbers. However Gooch has been hitting .300 with Philly and has shown that he is most valuable in the 2 hole, something that we really need.

I see a lot of problems with this type of thinking. Financially and production wise. I'll give you the best possible example I can; the Dodgers. The Dodgers have that gigantic boatload of young talent. Kemp, Laroche, Loney, Ethier, etc. But what do they do last offseason? They decide they're not yet ready to trust these guys, so they go out and spend money on resigning Nomar, signing Luis Gonzalez, etc. Then what happens? The kiddies continue to develop, put up in many cases vastly better numbers than the vets, but the vets have to keep getting their playing time because you can't waste that kind of money with people sitting on the bench, so Matt Kemp hits .342, puts up a nearly .900 OPS, but only gets 292 at bats, while Gonzalez puts up a sub-.800 OPS, hits .278, and gets 464 at bats.

We have better and more intelligent places to spend our money than on blocking the young guys we have who are actually producing. Richar is already several steps ahead of where I though he'd be, and showed that in September with a good hot streak. He is only going to get better from here, and I think it's a step backwards to think that "Oh, he's young, he can't possibly be ready" just because he's young and it's possible he'll struggle next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
We have better and more intelligent places to spend our money than on blocking the young guys we have who are actually producing. Richar is already several steps ahead of where I though he'd be, and showed that in September with a good hot streak. He is only going to get better from here, and I think it's a step backwards to think that "Oh, he's young, he can't possibly be ready" just because he's young and it's possible he'll struggle next year.

I'm sorry, I like Richar and generally what he's done, but comparing him to Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier is apples and oranges. You're talking about one guy in Kemp who is a much, much better prospect and another guy in Ethier who hit well-above average in ~400 ABs as a rookie. Richar has only (really) had one standout season in the minors, that being this year.

I agree with your main point, however, about Iguchi. I'm much more a fan of bringing in someone like Mark Loretta (who can also play 3B), so long as Loretta knows going into the season that he's the backup and Ozzie plays it that way, too.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)

My honest opinion is that Richar projects to be a #2 hitter at the major league level. The guy already likes to see as many pitches as possible in an AB. He also doesn't seem to strike out too much for the power numbers he puts up. I think his future is in that spot of the line up.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
My honest opinion is that Richar projects to be a #2 hitter at the major league level. The guy already likes to see as many pitches as possible in an AB. He also doesn't seem to strike out too much for the power numbers he puts up. I think his future is in that spot of the line up.

I actually said that in another thread. I just think that his dev will be a little slow for some folks here as he is still extremely raw.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
I actually said that in another thread. I just think that his dev will be a little slow for some folks here as he is still extremely raw.

You know what? I've been saying the same thing for about 4 months now, but I have to admit, I was actually impressed at how rapidly Richar was able to start adapting at the plate to major league pitching and how rapidly his development proceeded. Naturally, there could always be a step back, but thus far he's significantly ahead of where I expected him to be when he came up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
You know what? I've been saying the same thing for about 4 months now, but I have to admit, I was actually impressed at how rapidly Richar was able to start adapting at the plate to major league pitching and how rapidly his development proceeded. Naturally, there could always be a step back, but thus far he's significantly ahead of where I expected him to be when he came up.

The thing that gets me excited about his offensive potential is his power capabilities. The balls jumps off his bat at times and that is a very valuable trait for a future leadoff/#2 hitter.

Turns out that Fields will indeed be working on his left field play this winter, even though he was taken out of the Instructional league due to his heavy work this year (scroll down a bit). Instead, he'll be working on the side with Harold Baines and Daryl Boston (minor league outfield coach) on outfields skills.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
Turns out that Fields will indeed be working on his left field play this winter, even though he was taken out of the Instructional league due to his heavy work this year (scroll down a bit). Instead, he'll be working on the side with Harold Baines and Daryl Boston (minor league outfield coach) on outfields skills.

Where's Lance Johnson when we need him?

Baines and Boston are about the last guys you'd want showing the kid the outfield.

(Baines was "ok" before his knees gave out, I guess.)

Kittle might be a decent LF trainer, but he got DH'ed fast after Luzinski retired.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)

Baines and Boston are about the last guys you'd want showing the kid the outfield.

Kittle might be a decent LF trainer, but he got DH'ed fast after Luzinski retired.

Harold was a really good defensive RF before he got old. He had a great arm and played solid positional defense along with good reads off of the bat. He wasn't fast or anything, but he played a solid RF.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)

Kittle was a terrible outfielder. Boston was really good and Baines was above average.