Films Thread

Chisoxfn

H.P. Lovecraft fans or fans of old movies!

This is the trailer for the new film from The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society and is the same group of people that turned out The Call Of Cthulhu a few years ago. Basically they do their movies in the styles of the time period in which the stories were written. Call was a brilliantly done Silent Film, while the new one for The Whisperer In Darkness is a dang near perfect looking re-creation of a 1930's film.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/Whisperer/trailer.html

These are also, without a doubt, the most faithful adaptations of Lovecraft stories.

Edited by Kid Gleason

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
This from another board....

While that is incredibly cool, that guy has too much time on his hands and/or an obsession. And whoever created the pumpkin and candle and white noise with morse code inside of it telling you to read a proverb......well thats just way too out there.

Wow, a bible verse hidden in morse code hidden in white noise hidden in a website for a movie that wont be out for another 8 months. If the Dark Knight is anything less than spectacular, I will be surprised

A couple spoilers for The Dark Knight, nothing too bad though

Batman Movies News and Updates has translated an interview with The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan and producer Charles Roven from Kino.de which included these bits (minor spoilers):

- Batman will go to Hong Kong for some kind of "gangster hunting", but Roven doesn't say why Batman travels to Hong Kong.

- The IMAX preview with I Am Legend is the first five minutes of the film.

- "The whole thing is not 'Joker Begins', because we did not tell how the Joker became what he is," says Nolan. "During these five minutes it is shown how the the small crook becomes the most-dreaded gangster of the city - it is more like "The Rise of the Joker."

- Batman's new mask will have white lenses on the eyes when he turns on the Bat-sonar detection

The white lenses are just cool. For as long as I can recall reading batman comics he had unexplanable white eyes when the mask went on. Now there is an explanation

Dan in Real Life

Saw it this past weekend, wasn't psyched going in. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty funny, but more so, it was really well written and a pretty darn good family portrait film. It was painful to watch at times, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. I actually recommend this movie.

I had wanted to see Into the Wild, but lost the coin toss. I hope to see that this coming weekend.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Watch "Omega Man" minus zombies, add vampires.

Read the novella.

Vampires are correct.

Watch Last man On Earth.

Incredible story, still waiting for the proper treatment.

Edited by Kid Gleason

Watched 'Gone Baby Gone' last night. Overall, it's a good film, but the moral dilemma that the main character faces has really stayed with me. I'm a very black and white type of person and I can always definitively say what I would do if I was facing certain situations, but on this one, I'm unsure.

As a side note, is it my imagination or is Boston EVERYWHERE nowadays? Aside from the success of the sports teams, more films are based in Boston, every comedian and actor seems to be from Boston. This whole Boston pride thing is pretty interesting when you consider that every film depicts it as a white trash, bigotted s*** hole run by crooked cops.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 12:22 AM)
Watched 'Gone Baby Gone' last night. Overall, it's a good film, but the moral dilemma that the main character faces has really stayed with me. I'm a very black and white type of person and I can always definitively say what I would do if I was facing certain situations, but on this one, I'm unsure.

As a side note, is it my imagination or is Boston EVERYWHERE nowadays? Aside from the success of the sports teams, more films are based in Boston, every comedian and actor seems to be from Boston. This whole Boston pride thing is pretty interesting when you consider that every film depicts it as a white trash, bigotted s*** hole run by crooked cops.

I had the same thought. Now I don't want to visit Boston ever!

As for the moral dilemma - I thought, for me, it all came down to the promise he made to the girl's mother. If he hadn't made that promise, maybe everything else would be different. But I felt the film was great about showing the consequences of that decision. What did he get by making the right decision? Babysitting duty - that sucks.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
I had the same thought. Now I don't want to visit Boston ever!

As for the moral dilemma - I thought, for me, it all came down to the promise he made to the girl's mother. If he hadn't made that promise, maybe everything else would be different. But I felt the film was great about showing the consequences of that decision. What did he get by making the right decision? Babysitting duty - that sucks.

I see what you're saying.

I thought it was kinda crazy that he made that promise to the Mom in the first place.

So, the film really is asking whether he made the right decision or not. Tough.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 03:22 AM)

actually, I think that sums up pretty much 50% of the United States.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)
From www.whysoserious.com:

30.gif

It's a treasure hunt. There's like 20 more for other major cities in the U.S.

looks like they want people to go around the US taking photos of things....

there was a place to put your name, city and then upload a picture.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)

30.gif

This Just in:

Streamwood area man arrested this morning trying to gain access to a building on Wabash. When Police approached him, he kept repeating "Why so serious?". The Police tazered and pepper gassed the man mercilessly and brought him to the Cook County Jail, where he awaits his arraignment.

:D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)

30.gif

The scavenger hunt revealed a message. If you go to the site, you can read the message, as well as see a brand-new photo of Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Fans of "The X-Files" no longer have to rely on Internet rumors to seek the truth about a sequel to the 1998 movie based on the popular TV series

On Wednesday, Fox announced production will start December 10 on the sequel, which reunites the show's stars, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. The studio also picked July 25 as the U.S. release date.

Series creator Chris Carter will direct the still-untitled film. Carter also co-wrote the screenplay with "X-Files" veteran Frank Spotnitz. The duo also are producing. Shooting will take place in Vancouver.

The studio is staying little about the film's story line. All that is being revealed is that it is a "supernatural thriller" and that the movie will take the complicated relationship between FBI agents Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions as Mulder continues on his quest for the truth and Scully remains inextricably tied to her partner's pursuits.

The July 25 release date would put "X-Files" up against "Step Brothers," a comedy starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, and an untitled comedy starring Ice Cube.

I still want another sequel consisting of nothing but Chris Carter sitting in front of a camera telling me what the hell was going on.