Films Thread

Chisoxfn

Anyone else see American Gangsters last night? One of the first scenes has Russell Crowe (sp?) walking out of a taxi towards the camera, talking to his friend and I'm thinking, "wow, there's not a chance in hell I can believe Crowe playing a Harlem cop." But I didn't think about it the rest of the movie, so I guess in my mind he was playing the part reasonably well.

I liked the movie a lot, BTW.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
Anyone else see American Gangsters last night? One of the first scenes has Russell Crowe (sp?) walking out of a taxi towards the camera, talking to his friend and I'm thinking, "wow, there's not a chance in hell I can believe Crowe playing a Harlem cop." But I didn't think about it the rest of the movie, so I guess in my mind he was playing the part reasonably well.

I tried, but i didn't realize i'd have to buy tickets ahead of time...every show was sold out for the night, did get to see Saw 4 last night though.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
I cant tell by the previews, is "I am legend" supposed to be like 28 Days later or what? It looks interesting.

I Am Legend is based on the 1954 novella written by Richard Matheson. There have been two movies based on it to date, The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price and also The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston. The book is amazing and considered by many to being the greatest Vampire story ever told. The problem is that most of the movies miss many of the things that made the story so great. But this is still looking like a decent version.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
I think it's more like The Omega Man

Ya, after checking IMDB I saw the comparisons to Omega Man. Im just waiting for a movie to be made about a book I read so I can be in the know. One of these days theres gonna be a movie made about Wheres Waldo and why all you "educated" types are looking for him Ill be like, "Boom" Hes in the tree, "Boom" Hes on top of the car and boy are your guys faces gonna be red.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)

I have no interest in AG, but I can relate to what you're saying. I might be the only perosn I know who doesn't love 'The Departed' and it largely has to do with Leo DiCrapio. I can't for one second see him as anything even remotely close to a bad ass.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 01:57 AM)
I have no interest in AG, but I can relate to what you're saying. I might be the only perosn I know who doesn't love 'The Departed' and it largely has to do with Leo DiCrapio. I can't for one second see him as anything even remotely close to a bad ass.

I agree on The Departed, I thought that was a wildly overrated movie. I think people just assumed it was great based on the director.

But I saw American Gangster last night, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Crowe did indeed carry that role pretty well. Definitely recommended.

Now that I finally won a coin toss with my wife for who picks the movie, Into the Wild is now out of the theatres nearby. I'll have to go try to catch it this week while travelling.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
I agree on The Departed, I thought that was a wildly overrated movie. I think people just assumed it was great based on the director.

But I saw American Gangster last night, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Crowe did indeed carry that role pretty well. Definitely recommended.

Now that I finally won a coin toss with my wife for who picks the movie, Into the Wild is now out of the theatres nearby. I'll have to go try to catch it this week while travelling.

Yeah and most people think Nicholson=great film.

Your wife picked AG?? Pretty cool.

I like the coin toss idea though. By they way, my wife really enjoyed 'Into The Wild' and she wasn't very excited to see it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)

I dont even know who directed Departed and I loved the movie, and Im pretty hard on movies in general. I think you guys just saw Titanic and refuse to giveLeonardo Dicaparo or however you spell it a chance... he was also great in Blood Diamond.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
I dont even know who directed Departed and I loved the movie, and Im pretty hard on movies in general. I think you guys just saw Titanic and refuse to giveLeonardo Dicaparo or however you spell it a chance... he was also great in Blood Diamond.

I was OK with DiCaprio - in fact I thought Departed was the first film I liked him in. What I didn't like was that the major motivating plot force, throughout the movie, was just who-kills-who. It was just a dumb movie, I thought. Well-produced and well-acted, just poorly written and directed. Nothing subtle about it - just plain violent. I could watch Rambo and get that.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)

I bet DiCrapio is a good guy, he's involved in some good causes and he's a good actor.. in the proper role. As soon as I see him holding a gun or throwing punches though......

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 03:44 AM)
I bet DiCrapio is a good guy, he's involved in some good causes and he's a good actor.. in the proper role. As soon as I see him holding a gun or throwing punches though......

Agree completely. I loved "The Departed"... when Leo got shot. Jack wasn't anything special in it either. I thought Damon's accent was the best played to be honest.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
Agree completely. I loved "The Departed"... when Leo got shot. Jack wasn't anything special in it either. I thought Damon's accent was the best played to be honest.

I think Damon might be the only actor in that film who is from the Boston area.....oh wait Marky Mark is also, no?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
I think Damon might be the only actor in that film who is from the Boston area.....oh wait Marky Mark is also, no?

Yea. He's from Dorchester. Had a messy time in his teens. At one point was charged with attempted murder and served time in prison. I loved him in that movie about the Jets player.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Yea. He's from Dorchester. Had a messy time in his teens. At one point was charged with attempted murder and served time in prison. I loved him in that movie about the Jets player.

Some Eagles fan somewhere will be pissed now.

Edited by knightni

The Girl Next Door

I will lay my life on it that if this was done right (and from all I have heard it was), then this is going to be one of the most powerful movies made in YEARS. If you have ever read the book by Jack Ketchum, you know why. I still think that every person alove should be forced to read the book, and those that are not horrified by it need to be locked up instantly. It's the most powerful book written, especially for fiction, on child abuse. If you happen to see it, be forwarned, there is NOTHING CLOSE TO A HAPPY ENDING HERE. An amazing book, and from what I am hearing, the movie does justice.

http://www.thegirlnextdoorfilm.com/

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
"No Country for Old Men" looks damn good the Coen brothers have struck out with some of their recent projects but this one looks like it could be special.

I finished the book recently. Read it in like 2 nights. Great stuff. Looking forward to the movie.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 03:44 AM)

When that boat sank...