Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
The Girl Next Door

I will lay my life on it that if this was done right (and from all I have heard it was), then this is going to be one of the most powerful movies made in YEARS. If you have ever read the book by Jack Ketchum, you know why. I still think that every person alove should be forced to read the book, and those that are not horrified by it need to be locked up instantly. It's the most powerful book written, especially for fiction, on child abuse. If you happen to see it, be forwarned, there is NOTHING CLOSE TO A HAPPY ENDING HERE. An amazing book, and from what I am hearing, the movie does justice.

http://www.thegirlnextdoorfilm.com/

Have you seen this movie? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Crime

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
The Girl Next Door

I will lay my life on it that if this was done right (and from all I have heard it was), then this is going to be one of the most powerful movies made in YEARS. If you have ever read the book by Jack Ketchum, you know why. I still think that every person alove should be forced to read the book, and those that are not horrified by it need to be locked up instantly. It's the most powerful book written, especially for fiction, on child abuse. If you happen to see it, be forwarned, there is NOTHING CLOSE TO A HAPPY ENDING HERE. An amazing book, and from what I am hearing, the movie does justice.

http://www.thegirlnextdoorfilm.com/

I cried (a lot) while reading that book. I think the only book that bothered me even close to that much was that true story about the little girl in Florida many years ago who's mother and her boyfriend abused her for months until she died (I think her name was Ursula - s*** my memory is shot today).

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)

No, I haven't. Oddly though it sounds almost identical to TGND. Dark Horizons rips that one to shreads. The thing about TGND though is that though it's material is terrible stuff, there is something about the book that works so well. This is why I didn't think a film could be made. Jack Ketchum achieved something amazing with that book, he gave it such a strong heart. It didn't read as an exploitation, but more as a warning to everybody that this crap does go on, and can be happening anywhere. I'm like Steff, I cried through that whole book, but I never wanted to put it down, and I never felt "wrong" for reading it. I've read A LOT of Horror fiction, and I finally got tired of the Splatterpunks (oddly a genre that Jack Ketchum is largely responsible for), but this book was different. There is nothing else like it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
"No Country for Old Men" looks damn good. The Coen brothers have struck out with some of their recent projects but this one looks like it could be special.

I've heard bad things about it, but I'll see anything the Coens do, so we'll see.....

On another note, how about House of 1000 Muppets:

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
I've heard bad things about it, but I'll see anything the Coens do, so we'll see.....

On another note, how about House of 1000 Muppets:

Nine out of every ten reviews for it have been positive, damn positive

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:04 AM)
No, I haven't. Oddly though it sounds almost identical to TGND. Dark Horizons rips that one to shreads. The thing about TGND though is that though it's material is terrible stuff, there is something about the book that works so well. This is why I didn't think a film could be made. Jack Ketchum achieved something amazing with that book, he gave it such a strong heart. It didn't read as an exploitation, but more as a warning to everybody that this crap does go on, and can be happening anywhere. I'm like Steff, I cried through that whole book, but I never wanted to put it down, and I never felt "wrong" for reading it. I've read A LOT of Horror fiction, and I finally got tired of the Splatterpunks (oddly a genre that Jack Ketchum is largely responsible for), but this book was different. There is nothing else like it.

Ya, this one actually uses the same names and time frame as the true story as opposed to TGNDs slight changes. Id actually be interested in seeing both of them.

I haven't seen the movie yet or anything but would anyone agree with me that just based on the trailers alone "Bee Movie" looks terrible? I've actually enjoyed some of the animated family movies that have been made of late including "Ratatouille" and "The Incredibles" but this one just looks bad. Seinfeld's voice isn't really fit for voice over work, the animation looks rather shoddy and I'm not so sure how many more bug jokes can be made after "A Bug's Life" and "Antz"

Seinfeld has been promoting the s*** out of this thing, you couldn't go anywhere for about a month there without seeing his face.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
I haven't seen the movie yet or anything but would anyone agree with me that just based on the trailers alone "Bee Movie" looks terrible? I've actually enjoyed some of the animated family movies that have been made of late including "Ratatouille" and "The Incredibles" but this one just looks bad. Seinfeld's voice isn't really fit for voice over work, the animation looks rather shoddy and I'm not so sure how many more bug jokes can be made after "A Bug's Life" and "Antz"

Seinfeld has been promoting the s*** out of this thing, you couldn't go anywhere for about a month there without seeing his face.

It's gotten mixed reviews so far, for sure. But I think that is expected here. Seinfeld said he'd meke the movie he wanted to make and whoever likes it likes it. I'm not so sure that's how Dreamworks would have wanted to go about making a film, but after all this one did start out based on nothing more than the title pun shared between Seinfeld and Speilberg over dinner.

But the film is way more Seinfeld involvement than him simply doing a few days' voice work. This is his movie, his screenplay, and three years of his life. Whether it succeeds or not, it's all Seinfeld and this is the biggest thing he's done since the series signed off.

Kid Gleason may appreciate this --

For anyone with Comcast, tune into OnDemand's FearNet section (under Free Movies) and watch "The Haunting of Julia." It's an older movie starring Mia Farrow, and it's chilling. Despite dating itself, the atmosphere and soundtrack are terrific. It reminded me of another overlooked movie with similar features in "Don't Look Now."

If you're looking for an underrated ghost story this is your movie. It seriously stays with you afterwards.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 12:47 AM)
I saw Lions for Lambs tonight. It rang pretty true for me, but at the same time wasn't particularly mindblowing.

Saw it too. Nothing mind-blowing, but, its one of those movies where I think a lot of the reviewers completely missed the point. A lot of the reviews talked about how it was lacksadaisical, had no good resolution, left them feeling unsatisfied... well, duh! That's the whole point! The message was primarly about getting involved, and as such it was reflective of a society that doesn't currently value that. I thought it was well done.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
"No Country for Old Men" looks damn good. The Coen brothers have struck out with some of their recent projects but this one looks like it could be special.

I saw it last night. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Almost everything in that movie is done to perfection.

Watched 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead' last night.

Solid performances and is it possible that Marisa Tomei just gets hotter and hotter as she gets older?

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is good as usual, but Ethan Hawke, not so much. I've never really been a fan of his. Isn't he supposed to be a master thespian/trained in theater/Shakespeare loving/high brow acting snob? I can't tell.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
Ghost Story was good too.

Fred Astaire's last movie.

But it was HORRIBLE compared to the book - one of the best horror books ever in my opinion. The movie freakin gutted the story.

Saw Seventh Seal at the theatre last night. God, that movie is brilliant. It's amazing how well it stands up for being 50 yrs old.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
But it was HORRIBLE compared to the book - one of the best horror books ever in my opinion. The movie freakin gutted the story.

I said it was good, not Oscar-winning.

Besides, when was the last time a screenwriter didn't "gut" a book?

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
I said it was good, not Oscar-winning.

Besides, when was the last time a screenwriter didn't "gut" a book?

Agreed. When it comes to books to movies (especially with Horror) I try to never compare the two, or even associate the two. The upcoming Girl Next Door will be an exception to my rule though.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
I saw it last night. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Almost everything in that movie is done to perfection.

your avatar is pretty much done to perfection too :lol:

can't wait to see that film.