Official NFL Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
Exactly. Somehow I won this week, but I think I'm going to go into "rebuild" mode after the Ronnie Brown loss..

Ha, I've got a buddy, coincidentally his name is Tony, and he has Tom Brady and Ronnie Brown, and is basically screwed now that his best RB is Cedric Benson...

though if Tommy B keeps throwing 6 td's per week...

Does anyone else find it absolutely historic that Tom Brady already has 27 touchdowns through 7 weeks? He's one away from breaking his own personal mark of 28, and is currently on pace for 61 touchdowns and barely 5 INTs.

That's just freaking nuts. I think 50 touchdowns is definitely achievable, and almost likely. Their insane amount of talent mixed with a relatively weak schedule is going to lead the the best offensive season ever for QB... and Moss might score 20+ touchdowns!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Does anyone else find it absolutely historic that Tom Brady already has 27 touchdowns through 7 weeks? He's one away from breaking his own personal mark of 28, and is currently on pace for 61 touchdowns and barely 5 INTs.

'roids.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)

That's just freaking nuts. I think 50 touchdowns is definitely achievable, and almost likely. Their insane amount of talent mixed with a relatively weak schedule is going to lead the the best offensive season ever for QB... and Moss might score 20+ touchdowns!

I hope Brady does it. I dislike Manning and I don't think there's anyone I like more in football than Brady.

Except MAYBE Belichick.

I had Selvin Young sitting on my bench (who knows what will happen with that situation), have Steven Jackson coming back sometime soon (hopefully), and I just picked up Kevin Jones, so losing Brown doesn't absolutely destroy me. And I have Warrick Dunn in case like 2 or 3 of those guys literally fall off the face of the planet.

Pretty sure my league is teh suck.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
Well there goes my fantasy team. Fantastic.

You're not the only one. I'm sitting in second place right now, and had a pretty phenomenal draft especially considering I drafted 11th out of 12 teams (Brian Westbrook, Brown and Brady, among some other stellar picks by me).

Marion Barber will replace Brown. DBAHO, please tell me with his performance against Minny that MB3 will be named starter and Jones will be taken to the glue factory. PLEASE!

Edited by CWSGuy406

Doesn't matter if MB3 isn't the starter, he'll get more carries than Julius Jones. MB3's good for 80 yards and 1TD per game, but he comes into his own in the 4th quarter of games.

MB3's probably my favorite player in the NFL right now. The Bears would be wise to look at him in the off-season when he hits FA (although I actually think they might have a look at Julius instead).

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
I found it kind of funny that the theme of the night, besides Bob "Jesus" Sanders to keep talking about how everyone is overlooking the Colts.

Maybe the avid NFL fan isn't overlooking Indy, but it's so easy to make a case that the media has overlooked any team not named New England this year. I understand the reasoning behind that, and I have no problem being overlooked--it worked just fine for us last year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 04:13 PM)
See ya JP. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Speaking kindly now, he'll be a nice project for some team in the future; it just won't be the Bills.

Hard to disagree with that. I kinda liked Losman, but in the same way I kinda liked Grossman; he just should have been better than he was. Hopefully Edwards turns out a bit better.

Can we start the Losman to the Bears talk now or do we have to wait until the end of the season?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)

In the Good vs. Evil narrative of the Colts and Pats, running up the score is a telling factor: It reveals a team's sportsmanship or lack of same, and whether a team shows sportsmanship in public might offer insights into its character in private. New England is scoring so many points the Patriots offense looks like cherries and oranges spinning on a slot machine. The Flying Elvii stand plus-159 in net points, by far the best scoring margin in the NFL. This is supposed to be impressive. But I think it's creepy, and New England's creepy on-field behavior is only underscoring the seediness of the Beli-Cheat scandal.

On Sunday, the Patriots led the winless Dolphins 42-7 late in the third quarter, yet Tom Brady was still behind center. And he wasn't just handing off the ball to grind the clock, either. Rather, he was back in the shotgun, still throwing to run up the score. Here is a summary of the Patriots' possession with a 42-7 lead late in the third and Brady, Randy Moss and the rest of their offensive starters on the field: Pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass. When backup quarterback Matt Cassel entered the game in the fourth quarter, with the Patriots leading 42-14 -- a margin larger than the greatest fourth-quarter comeback in NFL history (see below) -- did he hand off the ball to grind the clock? Here were Patriots' coaches first three calls: Run, pass, pass. Cassel's second pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown, and Brady re-entered the game. Did he grind down the clock? Pass, pass, run, run, pass. The final score was 49-28.

The week before, New England led Dallas 42-27 and had second-and-goal on the Cowboys' 6-yard line with 1:43 remaining and Dallas out of timeouts. Three kneel-downs would have ended the game. But Belichick kept calling plays, frantic to run up the score -- including calling a play with 23 seconds remaining from the Dallas 1-yard line, resulting in a touchdown that made the final New England 48, Dallas 27. The Patriots then kicked off, and Dallas got the ball with 13 seconds remaining. Cowboys coach Wade Phillips showed the dignity Belichick lacked and ordered a kneel-down. Beyond defeating division-leading Dallas, New England has beaten six teams with a combined record of 11-27. In New England's six games against nonwinning teams, Belichick kept the starters in long after the outcome was decided, trying to run up the score. This doesn't just demonstrate Belichick has no class (although it certainly demonstrates that). It's worse -- this suggests something vindictive.

TMQ

You know what is funny, normally I get really sick of the media over-hyping New England based sports teams, but in this situation I can't get enough of it. I'd watch the Patriots every week (helps to have drafted Moss in the 3rd round of my most important fantasy league) if given the option. This team is unbelievable and I really don't see anyone else winning the Super Bowl.

I guess at that extent its kind of impossible to overhype them.

Now, Boston fans will be intolerable (more so than they already are) if the Red Sox and Patriots both win championships this year... but I can't say I'd root against this Patriots team like I am the Red Sox.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)

Brady will probably take the record from Manning this year, but I hope people remember that. Manning had absolutely no defense behind him during that year--if we didn't score 30 points, we were probably losing the game. Brady's defense may be a little more down than it usually is, but this is stat padding at its finest.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Brady will probably take the record from Manning this year, but I hope people remember that. Manning had absolutely no defense behind him during that year--if we didn't score 30 points, we were probably losing the game. Brady's defense may be a little more down than it usually is, but this is stat padding at its finest.

Dude the Colts threw for many "meaningless" touchdowns in 2004 as well man.

In a 49-14 win over Houston Manning threw two touchdowns when already up 28 points.

He threw a pointless TD in a 51-24 win over Tennessee

add to that a pointless touchdown against oakland, and im sure there were other times they should having been runnin but instead were gunnin.

get over it, brady's doing better, stop being a baby!

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
I dont think the Patriots will win.

Right now I think the Colts are better, because if it comes down to who is going to score the most points, my money is on laser rocket arm.

Have you WATCHED the Pats this year?

In the Good vs. Evil narrative of the Colts and Pats, running up the score is a telling factor: It reveals a team's sportsmanship or lack of same, and whether a team shows sportsmanship in public might offer insights into its character in private. New England is scoring so many points the Patriots offense looks like cherries and oranges spinning on a slot machine. The Flying Elvii stand plus-159 in net points, by far the best scoring margin in the NFL. This is supposed to be impressive. But I think it's creepy, and New England's creepy on-field behavior is only underscoring the seediness of the Beli-Cheat scandal.

This is the NFL, not High School or even College football where the skill levels and oppurtunities for different programs are vastly different. These are all professionals who are paid a king's ransom to play a game. If the Dolphins don't want the score run up on them, then stop them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Belicheck is allowing the Patriots to dominate into the second half as a big "F--- YOU!" to everyone who questioned him and the Pats' previous Superbowl wins.

Edited by StrangeSox