Official NFL Thread

I can't imagine what it'd be like if someone ended Brady's season. I've read about what happened to McMahon, twice. I don't know if that'll happen to Brady but I don't blame Belichick for taking that risk to make his point. I'm sure Brady's on board and they're all grown men who know what they're doing.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
I can't imagine what it'd be like if someone ended Brady's season. I've read about what happened to McMahon, twice. I don't know if that'll happen to Brady but I don't blame Belichick for taking that risk to make his point. I'm sure Brady's on board and they're all grown men who know what they're doing.

It's borderline f***tarded to do that and you know it. Why even risk it? What do they have to prove at this point?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)

I can imagine it. The same guy who claimed that NE hadn't actually taped Jets coaches at all, that NE shouldn't be punished because although it is a rule it is not a rule that he agrees with, would claim that it was a dirty hit, even if it was just the cleanest, hardest, face-up hit in the history of the league. He'd whine...

In other words, it'd be f'n awesome.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
It's borderline f***tarded to do that and you know it. Why even risk it? What do they have to prove at this point?

the cave mouth shines

by pure force of will

i look down on the world

from the top of this lonesome hill

and you can run, and run some more

from here all the way to singapore

but i will carry you home in my teeth

in the great hall you drink red wine

you chew meat off the bone

i beat down the new path to the castle

i come naked and alone

i laid my son on the bier, i burned the wreath

fire overhead, water underneath

you can stand up or you can run

you and i both know what you've done

and i will carry you home

i will carry you home

i will carry you home in my teeth

The NFL regular-season record for points in a game was set by the Redskins in 1966 when they scored 72 against the Giants, an awful team that finished 1-12-1. But the Redskins were otherwise mediocre with a 7-7 record, averaging 21 points in their other 13 games.

That record may be in jeopardy when the Jets go to Foxborough in three weeks in Revenge For Spygate.

In fact, a case can be made that Bill Belichick, who may be coaching the best team in NFL history, has six grudge matches in the last six weeks of the season as the Patriots try to finish off an undefeated season. He will have a large motivational chip on his shoulder against teams that either did something to the Patriots, said something about the Patriots, fired Belichick or refused to hire him. New England is winning games by an average of 25.4 points. But, of course, Belichick would never think about running up the score.

Here's a look at their remaining six games:

Sunday vs. Eagles: The Patriots are favored by a record-tying 24 points - and the Eagles are not a bad team, even though tonight they will be without Donovan McNabb, who has a sprained ankle and swollen right thumb. Belichick's motivation: The Patriots beat the Eagles by three points in the Super Bowl following the 2004 season. After the Spygate scandal, some of the Eagles were wondering if they were the victims of illegal spying of their defensive signals. "I was giving them a whole bunch of credit for making halftime adjustments…It's troublesome," safety Brian Dawkins said. "I don't know how different to say it - it bothers me."

McNabb, smiling, said, "Maybe we can get our ring back. Maybe we can get the real one."

Dec. 3 at Baltimore: Art Modell doesn't own the Ravens anymore, but he sabotaged Belichick in his final season in Cleveland in '95 by announcing midway through the year he was moving the team to Baltimore. Then, he fired Belichick right after the season. If Modell took Belichick, who was extremely unpopular in Cleveland, with him to Baltimore, he would have alienated fans right away. Side issue: Former Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, who was the Pats' big free-agent signing this year, recently got into some verbal sparring with Ray Lewis, so Belichick is sure to have his guys rally around Thomas.

Dec. 9 vs. Steelers: Pittsburgh is 1-4 against the Pats in the Belichick era, including two home losses in the AFC Championship Game. After Belichick was caught cheating, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward questioned the 41-27 loss in the '04 title game. "When we played them in the championship game, it seemed like they were a step ahead of us all the time," he said. "You never know how long they've been doing this stuff."

Dec. 16 vs. Jets: This is not going to be pretty. Can a team just not bother showing up? Belichick, turned in by his protégé Eric Mangini, is going to have his guys pretty worked up. Mangini is not very popular in New England these days and didn't do the rest of the league any favors by humiliating Belichick, which led to him and the Pats getting fined and losing a No. 1 pick. It also raised the issue of whether their three Super Bowl titles were tainted.

The Patriots beat the Cowboys at Texas Stadium by 21 and the Cowboys beat the Jets at Texas Stadium by 31. The Pats beat the Jets by 24 in the season opener when they weren't even mad at them. The Redskins' scoring record will be in jeopardy.

Dec. 23 vs. Dolphins: Belichick surely will be posting Don Shula's asterisk quote, in which he compared the Pats to Barry Bonds and questioned whether a perfect season would be tainted in a year they were penalized. This could be 14-0 vs. 0-14. The '07 Dolphins are not good enough to defend the honor of the '72 undefeated team. There should be a mercy rule in the NFL.

Dec. 29 at Giants: Belichick was the natural successor to Bill Parcells when he was with the Giants. But GM George Young didn't like him. Belichick left for Cleveland right after Super Bowl XXV, following the 1990 season, and Parcells left a few months later. Even if Belichick had remained, Young was going to promote Ray Handley. That is surely a diss Belichick has never forgotten.

The Patriots are having an unprecedented season. Through 10 games, no team in NFL history has ever been more dominant and relentless. The '85 Bears were still the most intimidating team of this era because teams were afraid of their punishing defense. The Patriots may be the first team that actually is intimidating teams with their offense. But running up the score is risky if some defensive player takes a shot at Tom Brady.

Last week, the Pats scored 56 points against the Bills. Brady produced touchdowns on all seven possessions he played. Belichick actually sat him down after the seventh TD, one play into the fourth quarter. The Patriots then scored their eighth touchdown on defense.

The Pats are on pace to shatter many offensive records. Brady already has 38 TD passes - averaging nearly four per game - and needs to average only two per game in the last six to break Peyton Manning's record of 49 set in 2004. The Patriots have scored 411 points, an average of 41.1 per game, which translates into 658 for the season, which would break the record of 556 set by the '98 Vikings by more than 100 points. Randy Moss has 16 TD catches - one short of his career high - and needs seven in the last six games to break Jerry Rice's record of 22 set in 1987. Rice's record is phenomenal: He did it in just 12 games in the strike-shortened season.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Grossman IS soft as can be. He's afraid of being hit, he's "small", can't handle snaps, can't hold onto the football... but at least he's "better" than a fifty year old man, eh?

He also has the luxury of being behind the worst offensive line in football.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
Sure, the line sucks and hte receivers aren't all that good but Grossman's just bad.

Running game produces 3 yards per carry, the offensive line gives up the most sacks in the league. Grossman hasnt had much of a chance. He still sucks, but he could be passable behind a decent line and an actual running game. Oh and a halfway decent o coordinator.