Gavin Floyd?

BearSox

Meh -

Once Jose is dealt, give Gavin a chance for the 5th spot in the rotation.

If he continues to blow up, get someone else at the end of the season, or check to see if Lance, Gio or Eggy is ready (which IMO they are not ready yet).

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Meh -

Once Jose is dealt, give Gavin a chance for the 5th spot in the rotation.

If he continues to blow up, get someone else at the end of the season, or check to see if Lance, Gio or Eggy is ready (which IMO they are not ready yet).

Best case scenario is that either Gio or Eggy are ready for the show next year. Lance looks like a pen guy to me.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 10:42 AM)
His curveball was garbage yesterday. Certainly not the monstrous hook some have been talking about. Guess he left it in the land where Day's slider and Masset's fastball went.

I partly disagree. While most of his curves were garbage, with barely any movement, he did throw a few that made me believe he posses that hook. He just needed to throw it more consistently.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Looks like Gavin is going to stay in the bullpen, for now.

I like that they are keeping Gavin up. I beleive Floyd has proven he can't do much more at Charlotte, but clearly isn't ready to provide quality innings at the major league level. I don't buy into Coops magic work, but it can't hurt having Floyd learn from him on a daily basis.

I like the fact the sox are looking at guys who are performing in the minors--be it starters or relievers-- and trying to see if they can get major league hitters out in the bullpen. First Haeger. Then Ehren. Now Floyd. The sox should try Broadway at some point as well. Floyd needs to have some success in the bigs. The bullpen is the best spot as the sox can put him in the right situations.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
I like the fact the sox are looking at guys who are performing in the minors--be it starters or relievers-- and trying to see if they can get major league hitters out in the bullpen. First Haeger. Then Ehren. Now Floyd. The sox should try Broadway at some point as well. Floyd needs to have some success in the bigs. The bullpen is the best spot as the sox can put him in the right situations.

IMO, it's a lil' bit early for Broadway to come up to the show...it seems to me like he's still working on getting everything together with his pitches. His numbers this season suggest he's been improving, people have said his 2 seamer is getting better each start, and his k rate is improving similarly. I'd say let him get comfortable with everything for another month or two at least, see where he is then, and then consider what we can do with him this offseason.

Unfortunately, we sort of have way too many "almost ready for the big leagues" pitchers for currently 0 open rotation spots next year, and a couple of them are out of options (Floyd, Phillips). Heath is probably walking unless he's dealt this offseason, and it'd be a tough pill for KW to swallow to have to let Floyd walk to give a starting spot to Broadway next season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Floyd reminds me so much of a young Jon Garland it isn't even funny. He needs a year of the Guillen treatment to get him mentally ready for the big leagues, because he has the best arm on the staff.

That's an excellent comparison.

We've all heard how "mentally fragile" Gavin Floyd can be on the mound. Ozzie needs to get into that head of his to turn that thought process around because he certainly has the arm to succeed.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
That's an excellent comparison.

We've all heard how "mentally fragile" Gavin Floyd can be on the mound. Ozzie needs to get into that head of his to turn that thought process around because he certainly has the arm to succeed.

Its funny we didn't hear how mentally fragile Damaso Marte was until Ozzie hit town. I will go to my grave thinking Ozzie gets way too much credit for Garland's turnaround. Garland was basically the same pitcher even a little worse his first year with Ozzie. And he's averaged a little less than 1 more inning per start since Ozzie took over. He cut his walk rate down. If Ozzie is the reason for that, what's the deal with the current bullpen. I think managers and coaches get way too much blame and credit. Just think, if Ozzie bailed at the end of last season, and a new guy was brought it, and the White Sox had the same record as they do now, we would be constantly told how that was proof positive how great and important Ozzie was, that the disaster that this current team is would never occur under Ozzie's watch.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
Its funny we didn't hear how mentally fragile Damaso Marte was until Ozzie hit town. I will go to my grave thinking Ozzie gets way too much credit for Garland's turnaround. Garland was basically the same pitcher even a little worse his first year with Ozzie. And he's averaged a little less than 1 more inning per start since Ozzie took over. He cut his walk rate down. If Ozzie is the reason for that, what's the deal with the current bullpen. I think managers and coaches get way too much blame and credit. Just think, if Ozzie bailed at the end of last season, and a new guy was brought it, and the White Sox had the same record as they do now, we would be constantly told how that was proof positive how great and important Ozzie was, that the disaster that this current team is would never occur under Ozzie's watch.

Damaso Marte was here for what, 1 year before Ozzie hit town?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
Floyd reminds me so much of a young Jon Garland it isn't even funny. He needs a year of the Guillen treatment to get him mentally ready for the big leagues, because he has the best arm on the staff.

Garland was never anywhere near this bad. Nowhere near as bad as Floyd was in Philadelphia or here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Jon Garland, 2000: 15 games, 69.2 IP, 6.46 ERA, 4-8 record, 1.75 WHIP.

Greg Maddux was pretty awful in 1987 when he was 21, and I don't think anyone would compare Floyd's career to his. Floyd is a power pitcher, Garland is not. Garland was 20 when he put up the above numbers. Floyd is 24 and getting worse. When he came up when he was 21 he did alright. His first game he gave up 1 run in 7 innings. His given up 92 runs his last 90 innings. Even the 2007 version of Jose Contreras hasn't been that bad.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
Greg Maddux was pretty awful in 1987 when he was 21, and I don't think anyone would compare Floyd's career to his. Floyd is a power pitcher, Garland is not. Garland was 20 when he put up the above numbers. Floyd is 24 and getting worse. When he came up when he was 21 he did alright. His first game he gave up 1 run in 7 innings. His given up 92 runs his last 90 innings. Even the 2007 version of Jose Contreras hasn't been that bad.

I concur.

However bad Floyd has pitched in the majors [and he's been horrible], having him pitch in the bullpen seems to be Gavin's "last" chance to stick in the majors or the sox will lose him/ trade him as he is running out of minor league options.

One more thing to realize, there is a reason Floyd hasn't been sent down, and it isn't because he is wanted in the bullpen. Kenny is going to deal a starter before the deadline, and he can't send down Gavin because he will need him back up here in less than ten days. Floyd is about 85% sure to be in the 2008 starting rotation, so he might as well take his lumps now when the games don't matter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 03:28 AM)
Its funny we didn't hear how mentally fragile Damaso Marte was until Ozzie hit town. I will go to my grave thinking Ozzie gets way too much credit for Garland's turnaround. Garland was basically the same pitcher even a little worse his first year with Ozzie. And he's averaged a little less than 1 more inning per start since Ozzie took over. He cut his walk rate down. If Ozzie is the reason for that, what's the deal with the current bullpen.

This is a good point. Most of the people who wanted Garland gone prior to his "breakout" season were the kneejerk types. Garland was perfectly fine as a pitcher before 2005 -- he was a kid in his low-20s giving the Sox 190 innings of a 4.55 ERA, yet at one point I believe even Garland got the "tee-ball stand" treatment. Garland was basically learning on the job -- that's why the Floyd comparison holds no water. For one their two very different pitchers, and their 'flight paths' aren't similar at all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
One more thing to realize, there is a reason Floyd hasn't been sent down, and it isn't because he is wanted in the bullpen. Kenny is going to deal a starter before the deadline, and he can't send down Gavin because he will need him back up here in less than ten days. Floyd is about 85% sure to be in the 2008 starting rotation, so he might as well take his lumps now when the games don't matter.

So with Floyd in the rotation, do the Sox still hope to contend in '08?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)
So with Floyd in the rotation, do the Sox still hope to contend in '08?

Bob

The way things are looking right now...I would say that I think the Sox have a reasonable shot. But to my eyes, there's still exactly 1 position that needs fixed before next year. A few minor tweaks to the bullpen wouldn't hurt, but we desperately need to improve at shortstop, end of story. We need a little luck and our youth to keep developing for me to be right...but we need to fix that gaping hole at SS>

Gavin Floyd has now allowed 8 homers in 14 1/3 innings this season. In his last 94 2/3 innings on the major league level he has allowed 125 hits 98 runs 27 homers 53 walks and 59 strikeouts. He really shouldn't be in the major leagues. I have a feeling he will be looking for another line of work reasonably soon.