Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Touche -- although in complete hindsight, Florida was much more of an athletic team than Ohio State was (or it sure seemed that way). Perhaps a close observer of both conferences (Rex?) can comment about the relative athleticism of both teams.

Yeah, more athletic, SEC basically has more speed than god.

I think you'd be surprised at the results if I listed the 40 times of each player on each team in the BCS title game

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
As much as a big ten homer I am, 40 times mean very little when it comes to performance speed times on the field. As much as I would like to see OSU win, I really do not think they have a chance in hell.

Hopefully all the LSU players make that same mistake.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
Can someone give me a decent reason why I shouldn't put just about every organ in my body on the LSU (4.5 points) line?

LSU's speed advantage is a myth, they've played close games/lost to teams nowhere near as good as Ohio State, and their receivers can't catch. Plus, their best RB (Keiland Williams) and their best QB (Ryan Perriloux) will be on the sidelines most of the game because Les Miles is a fool.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Touche -- although in complete hindsight, Florida was much more of an athletic team than Ohio State was (or it sure seemed that way). Perhaps a close observer of both conferences (Rex?) can comment about the relative athleticism of both teams.

I honestly don't think there is that big of a speed difference between the two conferences. I think the SEC plays a different style that emphasizes, especially defensively. The bottom line is you can have all the speed in the world, but if you take a bad angle, miss a tackle, miss a cut, etc. you'll look slow.

I watched Floriday a lot last year. The difference in that game had nothing to do with the conferences. Florida played the game of its life last year. They didn't play nearly that good the whole season.

All I will say is that game was not representative of either team's performance over the course of the entire season. It was simply one game gone wrong or right, depending on who you were rooting for.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
I honestly don't think there is that big of a speed difference between the two conferences. I think the SEC plays a different style that emphasizes, especially defensively. The bottom line is you can have all the speed in the world, but if you take a bad angle, miss a tackle, miss a cut, etc. you'll look slow.

I watched Floriday a lot last year. The difference in that game had nothing to do with the conferences. Florida played the game of its life last year. They didn't play nearly that good the whole season.

All I will say is that game was not representative of either team's performance over the course of the entire season. It was simply one game gone wrong or right, depending on who you were rooting for.

And OSU merely threw their helmets onto the field. The game was over before OSU knew what the hell was going on.

Tressel won't let that happen again. Whether or not that turns into a win is another story, but I'm looking for a good game hopefully.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
LSU's speed advantage is a myth, they've played close games/lost to teams nowhere near as good as Ohio State, and their receivers can't catch. Plus, their best RB (Keiland Williams) and their best QB (Ryan Perriloux) will be on the sidelines most of the game because Les Miles is a fool.

and ohio state played close games/lost to teams nowhere near as good as LSU.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

Dont you mean game? They had one close game/loss. All their other games were never close.

Last year OSU spent more time on the buffet circuit than the practice field. Of course that team may have been more talented than this one during a rebuilding year, then again LSU is the only 2 loss team to play for the title. Should be interesting. Either way, OSU will prob be top 3 preseason for 2008 as well, so you will be seeing alot of them again next season.

Edited by RockRaines

I"m not that impressed with LSU, they've been living off of pre-season reputation and a blowout victory against Vatech in the early season. You can act like the SEC is some super conference, but you'd think that after playing all the hard teams they'd blow Ole' Miss outta the water, but that was close too. They have all the talent in the world, it's one of the reasons i'm not that impressed with les miles.

Didn't the SEC start using the spread a few years ago? Shoot even Purdue looked faster when Joe Tiller came in. It's not the speed, it's the offense. When people are running every which way and the defense doesn't know who to cover, and therefore is always a step behind, the offensive team looks much faster. That's what happens.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
We were going to have enough problems winning tomorrow, but now Holtz gave us a pregame speech, ending any chance of a W.

He gave a pep talk to Pitt against West Virginia. I don't understand why people bash the record of the teams he gives his pep talks to. They are usually heavy underdogs going in.

Oh and Indiana is finally remembering they suck at football. 35-10 Oklahoma State at half.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Didn't the SEC start using the spread a few years ago? Shoot even Purdue looked faster when Joe Tiller came in. It's not the speed, it's the offense. When people are running every which way and the defense doesn't know who to cover, and therefore is always a step behind, the offensive team looks much faster. That's what happens.

One of the teams that really helped make the spread popular was Northwestern in 2000. They were picked to finish 11th and last in the Big 10, really had no talent because of what Gary Barnett had done to them, and just had no speed or playmakers. But they ran the spread, and had a very nice season, going to the Alamo Bowl and finished in (I think) a 4 way tie for first in the Big 10 conference.

You are right though, the spread, although more successful with speed (SEE: West Virginia, Florida) is not just about that. If your going shotgun with 4 and 5 receivers, it just creates one on one matchups and it's hard to stop an offense that is spread sideline to sideline while utilizing zone reads and quick hit passes, regardless of how good your defense is, or even how good that offenses personel is. Anybody with a mobile QB/offensive line, and smart players can run the spread with at least some level of success, it's all about matchups and reads.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 31, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

Illinois is better than both teams LSU lost to. Kentucky today could BARELY beat a Florida State team without 36 of their 85 scholarship guys (in what was basically a home game for UK), and Arkansas does have 2 great RB's, but Auburn and Tennessee beat and shut them down, and Arkansas also lost to a Alabama team who, like Iowa, went 6-6 in the regular season and lost at home to a non BCS team. Plus that game was in Baton Rouge, plus plus LSU lost 2 games and Ohio State lost 1.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Many said the Chick-Fil-A Bowl would be the best non-BCS game and they were right, what a great matchup, Auburn beats Clemson in OT as the Tigers suffer yet another heartbreaking loss. Auburn went for it on 4th and inches at the 15 instead of taking the tie, made it, and won it 3 plays later. Good stuff. Oh, and the Big 10 would like to thank Indiana for getting their ass kicked and embarassed by a 6-6 team who was blown out by Troy earlier this year. :huh

Time for Summerall to stop announcing. He has been horrible so far in the Cotton Bowl. Keeps screwing up names and is slow on plays. And we are just starting the 2nd quarter.

He was good once, but his time is up.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Time for Summerall to stop announcing. He has been horrible so far in the Cotton Bowl. Keeps screwing up names and is slow on plays. And we are just starting the 2nd quarter.

He was good once, but his time is up.

Yeah, and on Mizzou's touchdown run, he had literally no excitement at all in his voice. It was possibly the least emotion I've ever heard on the announcing of a touchdown.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Yeah, that wasn't smart.

P.S. What time does Minnesota play? :P

ChrisJerichoBurn.gif

I can't wait for the student section road trip to Michigan for basketball this year... you guys are going down.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 1, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
I can't wait for the student section road trip to Michigan for basketball this year... you guys are going down.

Probably. Have you seen the Michigan basketball team? Ugh.

Nice drive by Michigan so far.