College Move In...

SoxFan1

I know I'm not the only one going into college this month. Where you going? When do you move in? What you majoring in? I'll be entering my freshman year at Grand Valley State University (Back to back NCAA DIV II Football Champs) and I'm moving back the 22nd of August. 1st day of school is on my birthday, the 27th. Oh, and I'm majoring in Broadcasting.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
I know I'm not the only one going into college this month. Where you going? When do you move in? What you majoring in? I'll be entering my freshman year at Grand Valley State University (Back to back NCAA DIV II Football Champs) and I'm moving back the 22nd of August. 1st day of school is on my birthday, the 27th. Oh, and I'm majoring in Broadcasting.

Congrats, man, on going to GVSU. I think it was you that started a thread last summer about looking at colleges and Grand Valley was one of your top choices, so I'm glad you're getting to go there. College is awesome. I hope you really enjoy your first year b/c nothing beats living in the dorms with so many other guys to hang out with whenever. My advice: Work hard, play hard. That's the best way to maximize having fun with keeping good grades.

Moving stuff into the apartment tomorrow, coming back tomorrow nite, working til next tuesday, then moving stuff in tues-thurs, school starts on Aug 20.

I'm switching majors at semester. I hate journalism, going into teaching/coaching.

yup.

Moved in to my apartment July 30. Still unpacking. Last week in old place sucked. AC was pooling water on my floor. I told my landlord on the weekend and got a response that it was the weekend (as if I should not be bothering them) so the last days of packing and moving in the old apartment were made in a sweatbox with no air circulation. The previous apt. was a really bad experience.

Hooray new apartment that is 3x bigger, with a parking space and cheaper than the previous apt. And oh yeah, a working air conditioner.

I'll be attending Indiana State and I plan to move in around the 20th or so. I chose open preference because I have no idea what I want to do after my baseball career is over. Practice starts the week after school starts though so it should be a very busy year!

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
Well, I'm starting to apply. I'm liking Northwestern, Illinois, and Marquette. But all these damn forms are killing me.

Man, NU was a b**** when I filled that out. Do they still make you write like 3 essays? They were pretty lame when I did them, one of them was something like "What mask do you wear in your life and why?"

Good luck man, those first two are pretty tough. I got rejected at NU and probably wouldn't get into Illinois anymore. :ph34r:

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
Man, NU was a b**** when I filled that out. Do they still make you write like 3 essays? They were pretty lame when I did them, one of them was something like "What mask do you where in your life and why?"

Good luck man, those first two are pretty tough. I got rejected at NU and probably wouldn't get into Illinois anymore. :ph34r:

I didn't apply to a school if they were going to make me write an essay. :lol:

I'm quite nervous about college because I don't fit the stereotypical atmosphere. I'm more of a D&D and World of Warcraft guy than a partier. I don't have a problem with people partying but I don't see myself doing it because I just don't like that environment, I'm more of a stay-in and hang with people or my girlfriend kind of thing. I pretty much want to go to study, work out at the gym, start gaming with folks and meet new people, which sounds fine with me.

I am going to go to EIU on August 16th, move all of my s*** in, and then go to GenCon in Indianapolis and come back Sunday afternoon/evening for school, which starts on Monday. My roommate hasn't called me back and I haven't even spoken to the guy, perhaps he's on vacation. It will be interesting to say the least. I will be majoring in business but I have a strong feeling I'm going to pursue a degree in secondary education and major in english.

I'm going to be a senior in HS and I'm going to be applying soon. My list is Southern Illinois, Missouri, and Memphis. SIU is looking like the clear cut favorite for me because my bro goes there and i love Carbondale! I know a few of you guys went or are going to SIU or Mizzou and i'd like to know what you guys think of each! Thanks a ton!

QUOTE(Beastly @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 01:22 AM)
I'm quite nervous about college because I don't fit the stereotypical atmosphere. I'm more of a D&D and World of Warcraft guy than a partier. I don't have a problem with people partying but I don't see myself doing it because I just don't like that environment, I'm more of a stay-in and hang with people or my girlfriend kind of thing. I pretty much want to go to study, work out at the gym, start gaming with folks and meet new people, which sounds fine with me.

I am going to go to EIU on August 16th, move all of my s*** in, and then go to GenCon in Indianapolis and come back Sunday afternoon/evening for school, which starts on Monday. My roommate hasn't called me back and I haven't even spoken to the guy, perhaps he's on vacation. It will be interesting to say the least. I will be majoring in business but I have a strong feeling I'm going to pursue a degree in secondary education and major in english.

You'll be completely fine.

Well I feel old, my freshmen move in was 6 years ago. I haven't even been on a college campus in nearly 2 years. Enjoy it while you can guys.

Oh and Beastly, I was similar to you coming out of high school. My advice would be to just have fun and go with the flow. You don't have to change who you are or what you believe in. However, if the opportunity to go out with some new people arises (such as a party) give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Trust me, even if you don't think so, people change a lot from 18 to 22. You might actually end up enjoying going out.

Good luck with the move in for those moving in. I almost miss it :)

You want old? I'm continuing my never ending search for education at University of Texas - Pan American and to make life easier for me found a place closer to campus. So I guess it's a college style move.

But, my son leaves for Texas State University (no Friday classes beginning this year) next week. He's still not certain what dorm he has been assigned to but he has his schedule. Typical Freshman bad scheduling. 8 AM classes every day and a night course. At least with AP credits he's jumped past a couple classes.

My daughter has her eyes on NU. She spoke with a recruiter last year and it is almost impossible, or so it seems. She's ranked 9 or 10th in her class of 500, but after a bunch more kids drop out this year, she'll be 9 or 10 out of 400 and needs to move up a few notches to have a better chance.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
I didn't apply to a school if they were going to make me write an essay. :lol:

^^^^^^

I sent my high school transcripts to SIU with my application and they accepted me. Piece of cake. No need to write an essay about my most significant moment in my life when I was just 17.

Heading back to the University of Minnesota on the 20th for my sophomore year, should be rather crappy moving into my apartment (although I plan to recruit a bunch of my friends :P). I'm majoring in Sports Management, and I don't think classes start again until the 4th or so. Man, I can't wait to be back in the cities though..

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 03:16 AM)
Been down here all summer, interning for football and what not.

And this year better go slow. It's my last one. :(

Holy s***, you're kidding me? I'm getting so freaking old because I remember you leaving for school.