Buehrle: Sox aren't going into rebuilding mode

thedoctor

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
I wish I was.

I've accepted that we're stinky and I just have to love it for how it entertains me. It's how I made it during the late 80's and 90's.

See, you are pessimistic. We are not stinky!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's not like Kenny isn't the type to make bold moves. If he can re-tool effectively, I think that they have a legitimate shot next year. But that window of opportunity will be closing quickly thereafter.

Rather than a step by step plan of what the sox offseason plans are [because acquiring players through free agency or trades is always tricky and subject to changes], Kenny's talk with Mark seems to be a strong indicator the sox will push to contend in 2008.

We can all speculate who will be added. And these additions will probably fit within range of the sox 2007 payroll-meaning some players salaries will also need to be dropped.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
Oh, I'm sure it's true that he said those things. Talk is cheap, like Mark's contract.

I don't think the White Sox ARE cheap. They're payroll is in excess of $100 million....top five last year...maybe top ten this year. So why would it be impossible for them to go out and spend $15 mill on a couple of players? They save $3 mill from Iguchi. $3 Mill for Mack. $2 mill for Cintron. $2 mill for Pods. $6 mill for Dye. Not to mention the $10 from Freddie. They use that money to sign Bobby Abreau at $10 per and Scott Linebrook at $6 per? According to Forbes the Sox annual revenue is $173 mill per year...the most in the division...$3 more than Detroit, $15 more than Cleveland and $40 and $50 more than Minn/KC. In spite of all the second-team nonsense...the Sox have money, they spend it and there's no reason to think they won't spend more. With the Trib likely to sell the Cubs this year the hearts, minds and wallets of the countries 3rd largest market is really up for play. Reinsdorf is smart enough of a business man to recognize that he could increase profits if he spends more money.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't think the White Sox ARE cheap. They're payroll is in excess of $100 million....top five last year...maybe top ten this year. So why would it be impossible for them to go out and spend $15 mill on a couple of players? They save $3 mill from Iguchi. $3 Mill for Mack. $2 mill for Cintron. $2 mill for Pods. $6 mill for Dye. Not to mention the $10 from Freddie. They use that money to sign Bobby Abreau at $10 per and Scott Linebrook at $6 per? According to Forbes the Sox annual revenue is $173 mill per year...the most in the division...$3 more than Detroit, $15 more than Cleveland and $40 and $50 more than Minn/KC. In spite of all the second-team nonsense...the Sox have money, they spend it and there's no reason to think they won't spend more. With the Trib likely to sell the Cubs this year the hearts, minds and wallets of the countries 3rd largest market is really up for play. Reinsdorf is smart enough of a business man to recognize that he could increase profits if he spends more money.

I really wish the Sox would get moving on developing the area around the ballpark a little more quickly. To be consistently successful, the organization has to continue to find more stable revenue sources than their notoriously fickle fans.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)

That's nice. I don't either.

Nothing is impossible. I'm just going to choose to lean more towards the realistic. Nice post though.

This article is not a surprise, the timing is interesting though. As for its content, it is the same things Williams and Guillen have been saying all along for the most part.

By my count, they need two more reliable bullpen arms, a SS, 3 outfielders, and 2 bench players. 2 outfielders if they re-sign Dye. That's roughly 1/3 of the roster.

That's a lot of work. The good news is, they have pitching to trade and I'm not just talking about Contreras.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
I really wish the Sox would get moving on developing the area around the ballpark a little more quickly. To be consistently successful, the organization has to continue to find more stable revenue sources than their notoriously fickle fans.

Even that I'm not sure is exactly true. In their first 84 years of existance the Sox outdrew the Cubs in 43 years, the Cubs outdrew in 41 years. But when the Trib bought the Cubs in 1978...it was over. The number one paper and the number one TV channel now owned the Cubs so from 1984-2005 the Cubs outdrew the Sox 19-2. When the Trib and WGN are broken away from the Cubs this year...maybe the city shifts back to the Cubs. It's an interesting time to be a Sox fan (outside of, you know, the record).

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
Even that I'm not sure is exactly true. In their first 84 years of existance the Sox outdrew the Cubs in 43 years, the Cubs outdrew in 41 years. But when the Trib bought the Cubs in 1978...it was over. The number one paper and the number one TV channel now owned the Cubs so from 1984-2005 the Cubs outdrew the Sox 19-2. When the Trib and WGN are broken away from the Cubs this year...maybe the city shifts back to the Cubs. It's an interesting time to be a Sox fan (outside of, you know, the record).

Am I the only person on this board who doesn't know or, or care to know, or pay much attention about attendance or tv rating bulls***? :huh

This isn't a surprise. Our system in general isn't good enough to rebuild, but we are in pretty decent shape pitchingwise in our organization and have a couple young guys we like in Richar and Fields (plus Sweeney and maybe even Owens, meh) to go with some talented vets at the everyday spots.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Notice how Guillen has been talking a lot about guys "having good at bats". Buehrle chimed in about that philosophy too, in a way. Look for more patient hitters to be brought in, not only guys who can slap the ball, bunt, and run, but good pro hitters. Not that I'm advocating it, simply speculating but I wouldn't be surprised to see Abreu here.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Notice how Guillen has been talking a lot about guys "having good at bats". Buehrle chimed in about that philosophy too, in a way. Look for more patient hitters to be brought in, not only guys who can slap the ball, bunt, and run, but good pro hitters. Not that I'm advocating it, simply speculating but I wouldn't be surprised to see Abreu here.

I'm not sure about Abreu specifically, but I completely agree with your point on hitters and where the trend is going. And that makes me happy.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)

Agree 100%. Though like 72 I question BA specifically. We aren't winning swinging for the fences. Only a year late in figuring that one out, IMO.

This seems rather obvious to me, and I'm surprised to see so many people doubting it still. Kenny is going to try to fill the holes and win next year, no doubt in my mind. It will probably be with one big contract(over 30 million) and a bunch of smaller ones.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
This seems rather obvious to me, and I'm surprised to see so many people doubting it still. Kenny is going to try to fill the holes and win next year, no doubt in my mind. It will probably be with one big contract(over 30 million) and a bunch of smaller ones.

It would seem more obvious if we weren't all seeing the payroll and trying to figure out how the hell he is going to do that.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
Agree 100%. Though like 72 I question BA specifically. We aren't winning swinging for the fences. Only a year late in figuring that one out, IMO.

Why no love for BA? Career .409 OBP. Some power and speed. OK, he's 33, but he's kinda like Rickey Henderson or Tim Raines (in an era without stolen bases). And both of those guys played well late into their 30's. He really seems more what the Sox need than Andrew Jones or Adam Dunn...and less risky than Rowand.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
Why no love for BA? Career .409 OBP. Some power and speed. OK, he's 33, but he's kinda like Rickey Henderson or Tim Raines (in an era without stolen bases). And both of those guys played well late into their 30's. He really seems more what the Sox need than Andrew Jones or Adam Dunn...and less risky than Rowand.

I'm sorry... did I say I had no love for Bobby? If I did I sure do apologize because I sure didn't intend to.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)

There's doubt because you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

They will probably dump jose, and use that 10 million toward the bigger contract and about 15 million more to patch some crap up. Resign uribe (5 million), arb for crede(another 5 million), richar at 2b, Fields in left, someone else new in the outfield, and about 8 more million in bullpen help. Its not unrealistic for a team that is top five in attendance in the AL.

I didn't say it was going to work, not sure if that team will win the central, but I am sure Kenny will be trying to compete.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)

He'll be 34 years old, has lost almost all of his power for whatever reason, is a below average defender and will likely be looking for the last big contract of his career. Where exactly is he going to play anyway?

Back when MB re-signed, I said KW must have given him the impression that the Sox were going to try to come back strong in 08. Kind of like when he told Paulie we were getting Thome. Otherwise it really doesn't make any sense for MB to have re-signed.

Now, 'interested in' and 'going after' are VERY different from actually signing players. I think MB will be dissapointed.