Sox vs. Mariners Gamethread 09/17/2007

max power

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
Haha, what a joke. It's amazing how quick we were to put him back in the rotation after two good relief outings.

That's probably because the interest in Contreras hightened after several successfull outings. Hopefully someone will bite on the velocity increase.

However, if he's still here by September 1st his ass should be in the bullpen. Floyd's success or failure is more important to the ballclub entering 2008.

Even with five starts, we should generally know about Floyd with several consecutive starts.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
Highest payroll in division = last place

Has this ever been done?

You don't have to look far. Last season, the Cubs were 7th overall in payroll and last in their division.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 02:31 AM)
You don't have to look far. The Cubs were 7th overall in payroll and last in their division.

Ah, that's right. I remember them being close with the Pirates, but I should have just remembered who had 3rd pick vs 4th pick in the draft.

Ah, that's right. I remember them being close with the Pirates, but I should have just remembered who had 3rd pick vs 4th pick in the draft.

Mets were really stinking it up in the early 2000's. Mariners had a really high payroll the past couple of seasons too.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
That's probably because the interest in Contreras hightened after several successfull outings. Hopefully someone will bite on the velocity increase.

However, if he's still here by September 1st his ass should be in the bullpen. Floyd's success or failure is more important to the ballclub entering 2008.

Even with five starts, we should generally know about Floyd with several consecutive starts.

I think we are beyond the point that even if Floyd had some success, which I doubt, that there still wouldn't be a lot of doubt about him. I really think Ozzie has no use for him, but he's KW's baby. I think KW would like him in the rotation and Ozzie would like him anywhere but the White Sox roster. The bullpen seems to be a compromise. I think the bullpen may be a spot best suited for him anyway.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Interesting stat about Contreras allowing the most unearned runs in the AL this year. When you combine that with his 6.24 ERA coming into the game.....you have yourself someone who shouldn't be in the rotation.

But KW's 15 deep pitching depth can only come up with a replacement who is actually worse.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 02:52 AM)
But KW's 15 deep pitching depth can only come up with a replacement who is actually worse.

We lead the world in AAAA players, it seems. If KW wants OBP players so much, can we try Thome at leadoff? He's certainly not hitting like a #4 hitter anymore, so why not try something new?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Wow....quite pathetic to see a shallow fly ball to CF be almost a no-throw situation. I wonder if Dye will come out and say again how this team lacks intensity on a lot of nights.

They don't lack intensity. Ozzie would never let that happen. It only happens with bad managers like Jerry Manuel. Just ask Hawk. The Sox have the best manager and GM in the game, the best players, but they just haven't found their rhythm.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
We lead the world in AAAA players, it seems. If KW wants OBP players so much, can we try Thome at leadoff? He's certainly not hitting like a #4 hitter anymore, so why not try something new?

Did you see that Matt Stairs led off for Toronto the other day.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
Wow....quite pathetic to see a shallow fly ball to CF be almost a no-throw situation. I wonder if Dye will come out and say again how this team lacks intensity on a lot of nights.

It seemed more like a Suzuki issue than an intensity issue.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
It seemed more like a Suzuki issue than an intensity issue.

Probably, but if Jerry Owens played 3rd base and Konerko hit a routine grounder to him, his arm would make it interesting. He makes the One Dog look like he has a cannon.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Probably, but if Jerry Owens played 3rd base and Konerko hit a routine grounder to him, his arm would make it interesting. He makes the One Dog look like he has a cannon.

Even One Dog gave it his best. He couldn't help that he threw like a girly-man.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
I think we are beyond the point that even if Floyd had some success, which I doubt, that there still wouldn't be a lot of doubt about him. I really think Ozzie has no use for him, but he's KW's baby. I think KW would like him in the rotation and Ozzie would like him anywhere but the White Sox roster. The bullpen seems to be a compromise. I think the bullpen may be a spot best suited for him anyway.

We didn't trade for Floyd to be in the bullpen. If he's there, I want Williams to own up and admit he drastically overrated Floyd. Someone has to be held accountable when people fail at evaluating players.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Another grind out. BTW, do yourself a favor and watch Joba Chamberlain pitch sometime. He reminds me of Jenks when he first came up.

A benefit of New York paying overslot for a player. Too bad we'd rather be buddy buddy with Selig and provide yet another barrier to acquire talent.