Sox vs. Mariners Gamethread 09/17/2007

max power

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
We didn't trade for Floyd to be in the bullpen. If he's there, I want Williams to own up and admit he drastically overrated Floyd. Someone has to be held accountable when people fail at evaluating players.

I can't wait to see what we do with our top ten draft pick next year. I expect an absolute stud that will help us in less than 2 years with a top ten pick. I am sure however we will pick some signable guy who will take below slot money. Someone who probably thought they would go 2nd or 3rd round and will be happy just that they made it in the first round. Toolsy is what we will hear, and no one would of ever heard of him.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
We didn't trade for Floyd to be in the bullpen. If he's there, I want Williams to own up and admit he drastically overrated Floyd. Someone has to be held accountable when people fail at evaluating players.

He doesn't have to admit it. Floyd reminds everyone about it everytime he toes the rubber.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 03:16 AM)
I was at his first game, he looked good solid contact. Then he was probably given some advice.

He just seems to have no strength behind his swing. He looks more like Otis Nixon than anything else right now. Between him and Owens, there's no way you can actually think you can compete for the AL Central last with those mediocre players as full-time starters.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 03:17 AM)
There actually are people very impressed by him. I don't see it yet. Jerry Owens has 7 RBI in over 200 AB. That's hard to do.

Between Owens, Pods, and Richar, there's some astounding RBI totals. The RBI total between our leadoff hitters and the opposition must be mind-boggling.

Pods sure took his time with that twirl.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
I can't wait to see what we do with our top ten draft pick next year. I expect an absolute stud that will help us in less than 2 years with a top ten pick. I am sure however we will pick some signable guy who will take below slot money. Someone who probably thought they would go 2nd or 3rd round and will be happy just that they made it in the first round. Toolsy is what we will hear, and no one would of ever heard of him.

I love your high expectations. Although, let's be realistic here. I'm sure next season will be considered one of the weakest draft classes in years. It would only be appropriate for the one draft we're in position to have a high selection is the one where the talent is baron.

If we pick at 10, they'll be no Tim Lincecum available. You just know it. They'll be no, "talented player who drops due to signability" such as Rick Porcello.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
So, I just realized we're only missing one starter due to injury right now, and all our starting pitchers are healthy.....YIKES!

Starters is a generous word.

Pods and Grinderstad can only start for this team, On other teams, they are pinch runners and 4th OFs. We over use role players.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 03:23 AM)
Starters is a generous word.

Pods and Grinderstad can only start for this team, On other teams, they are pinch runners and 4th OFs. We over use role players.

Exactly the point I was trying to make....we better pray for a spending spree this offseason.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
I love your high expectations. Although, let's be realistic here. I'm sure next season will be considered one of the weakest draft classes in years. It would only be appropriate for the one draft we're in position to have a high selection is the one where the talent is baron.

If we pick at 10, they'll be no Tim Lincecum available. You just know it. They'll be no, "talented player who drops due to signability" such as Rick Porcello.

Oh I am convinced that next year will have the talent. I am absolutely convinced that this ownership will not pay the slot or more to the point overpay for a stud. We will pass and sign some turd that has one tool and they will pass it off as finding a nuggett of gold in the strawpatch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
Exactly the point I was trying to make....we better pray for a spending spree this offseason.

If you want to see what we are getting for next year, find who is on the 60 day DL or find out who is injured for the year right now. Lightning in the bottle is our method. Something cheap, that has some upside.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 03:24 AM)
Oh I am convinced that next year will have the talent. I am absolutely convinced that this ownership will not pay the slot or more to the point overpay for a stud. We will pass and sign some turd that has one tool and they will pass it off as finding a nuggett of gold in the strawpatch.

We'll take Jordan Danks

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 03:26 AM)
If you want to see what we are getting for next year, find who is on the 60 day DL or find out who is injured for the year right now. Lightning in the bottle is our method. Something cheap, that has some upside.

But at least they'll have good at-bats. Appearantly getting hits and driving in runners is no longer important.