Broadway/Phillips Called up too

fathom

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
I haven't seen anything official on call ups, just speculation. I will be surprised if Bourgeois isn't added to the 40 man and called up, in my opinion they should give him a good long look. I would bet he is better than Andy Gonzalez at just about any aspect of the game.

not happening. Bourgeois, IMO, will have to have a great spring training, and if Pablo returns as just a shell of his former self, I could see Bourgeois replacing Pablo.

But you're right, Bourgeois is probably better then Andy Gonzalez in most aspects of the game.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
I haven't seen anything official on call ups, just speculation. I will be surprised if Bourgeois isn't added to the 40 man and called up, in my opinion they should give him a good long look. I would bet he is better than Andy Gonzalez at just about any aspect of the game.

He is. He also has more potential than Gonzalez (although Gonzalez once had some upside when drafted, but Bourgeois is a guy that was thought of at a pretty high level some years ago and that was based on some minor league success). Bourgeious has also put up better numbers in the minors than Gonzalez could ever dream of doing.

Its a joke that Andy is getting all this time while a guy like Jason Bourgeious isn't getting a chance (Bourg is faster, a better hitter, and can't be any worse in the field). Albeit I don't necessarily blame Gonzalez because he is a decent defensive 2nd baseman/SS (not great, but decent) but having to play all over has probably hurt his defense a bit.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
I noticed they are finally giving Phillips a shot at the MLB level. I think this might be just an audition for maybe some team desperate for pitching to take a small chance on him.

I think Heath is about at the make or break time. It is getting to be time to see what he can do, or move him along.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
not really surprised either. Biggest surprise to me is Haeger not being listed as a call-up... Hopefully Sweeney will end the season strong at Charlotte, have a great offseason (get stronger!), and have a breakout 2008 season.

Ryan would need a pretty strong last two games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
Haegar has been bypassed as well. He really hasn't shown much except as a possible reliever, and the Sox don't seem to want to use him there.

Totally disagree. We'll probably continue to undervalue Haeger and then watch him become a #2 starter for another team someday. He had an outstanding minor league season last year - as a starter - and has huge amounts of upside because his mastery of the knuckle ball at such a young age is unheard of. He's a had a down year this season but he has a 2.7 ERA in the second half in Charlotte and his ERA on the season is lower than Phillips. He's the third best pitching prospect in the organization and better than any of the pitchers we're apparently calling up.

It really seems as though Ozzie told Kenny he didn't want to see the guys who have disappointed for him in the past at the major league level so now he's getting much worse players who will struggle even more instead. Good thinking...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
The point of the fall league is for Lucy to be able to go in (he is not expected to pitch many innings there at all) and work on a couple of his secondary pitches that the organization is working with him on. He could not do that at the major league level.

(Again, considering only the organizations goal to win as much as possible next season) I'd rather give Egbert a shot against major league hitters in September and then again in spring training to see if he can help us next year. If he's not up to the task then let him work on those secondary pitches in the minors next season.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
Sweeney didn't play yesterday, maybe he is on his way up. Were those sources confirmed?

The stuff about Sweeney is based on quotes from Ozzie. The rest could be mostly speculation by the local sportswriters. It's possible that some of us are getting upset prematurely.

QUOTE(CarlosMartinez @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 04:25 AM)
I swear, if I have to watch Erstad play another game I am going to kill myself. I love how he get's his AB's every other game rather than bringing up our so called "future" and letting them figure things out. Hell, they could put Harold Baines out there and get better production!

Instead, Darin Erstad is the future, let's ride that pony all the way to the World Series. It's painful to watch him and McCrazy get the pt they do. :chair

Sorry, too many Miller Lites, tired of watching this hores*** team take the field each night and piss it away in one way or another. Thank God football is here to ease the pain.

g-damn Erstad and his 2nd highest batting average on the team!!!

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
g-damn Erstad and his 2nd highest batting average on the team!!!

.264. Sweet. Does he get on base at a good rate along with that? (answer is no) Does he hit for power to go along with that? (answer is no). Is he under the age of 28 so there's some hope that he can get better as a player (answer is a resounding no).

You are defending Erstad as if he's been good. He has not been good, and he better not be apart of the future plans for the Sox, seeing as how he's 33 and declining.

but why keep picking on Darin Erstad like he's been the reason the Sox have been a failure this year???

IMO the guy has a legitimate spot on this team as a 4th OF/backup 1B next year, a Mackowiak type position. Hitting .265-.270 in that role while being solid defensively, is not a bad choice.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
but why keep picking on Darin Erstad like he's been the reason the Sox have been a failure this year???

IMO the guy has a legitimate spot on this team as a 4th OF/backup 1B next year, a Mackowiak type position. Hitting .265-.270 in that role while being solid defensively, is not a bad choice.

I'd much prefer to have Mackowiak in that Mackowiak-type position.

Because he wont be brought back to have a Mack like position. If he is here, and healthy he will start. Hell he is a shadow starter as it is right now.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)

How is Bourgeois at the exact one aspect of the game that is the reason Gonzalez has been on the team- his ability to play every position on the field except catcher (though I understand he was the emergency catcher once Mack was traded).

fun fact

Gonzalez has more walks than Fields in 1/2 the plate appearances.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
.264. Sweet. Does he get on base at a good rate along with that? (answer is no) Does he hit for power to go along with that? (answer is no). Is he under the age of 28 so there's some hope that he can get better as a player (answer is a resounding no).

You are defending Erstad as if he's been good. He has not been good, and he better not be apart of the future plans for the Sox, seeing as how he's 33 and declining.

Well said!

I'm baggin on Erstad because he's past his prime and brings little to the team. But since it appears he'll be around next year, why keep playing him now and risk him blowing his ankle out swinging the bat again. Like someone else said, if he's healthy he'll start next year.

Instead bring up someone young to see if they can cut in the Bigs and shelf Erstad the rest of the way so he'll be ready for next year.

QUOTE(CarlosMartinez @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I'm baggin on Erstad because he's past his prime and brings little to the team. But since it appears he'll be around next year, why keep playing him now and risk him blowing his ankle out swinging the bat again. Like someone else said, if he's healthy he'll start next year.

I agree with this but it's extremely depressing.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Because he wont be brought back to have a Mack like position. If he is here, and healthy he will start. Hell he is a shadow starter as it is right now.

I don't mind the idea of Erstad as a 4th outfielder IF the price was right (

But I think it's more likely if Owens doesn't get a starting job, than he'll get the 4th OF spot. The last month is really huge for Owens and his future career right now. If he can have an OBP around the .350 mark (I think since the post ASB it's been above .300), then that may not be just enough for him to stick as a leadoff hitter if the Sox don't sign Rowand or Torii Hunter in the off-season.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Make Terrero the 4th OF to face left handers and Owens as the 5th OF to pinch run. f*** Erstad, Podsednik and Gonzalez. This team needs a major shake up.

Terrero, Pods and Gonzalez will not be part of this team next year. Erstad possibly in the role we all thought he'd be in this year. We will sign or trade for a productive outfielder. Owens deserves a chance to improve. I like his D except for his arm and his speed.

Because his .678 OPS IS one of the reasons the White Sox have been a failure this year. If you expect that production to help put you over the top, then you are destined to finish in last place.

I want nothing to do with him on the team next year because the possibility remains that he may start. A backup player has to be good enough to be a fill-in starter in case of an injury, and Erstad is nowhere near good enough to start for a MLB team. Right now he's a 5th outfielder/emergency 1Bman/pinch hitter in the NL. The Sox can absolutely find a better backup roaming from AAA team to AAA team, and that is something they should do.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Terrero, Pods and Gonzalez will not be part of this team next year. Erstad possibly in the role we all thought he'd be in this year. We will sign or trade for a productive outfielder. Owens deserves a chance to improve. I like his D except for his arm and his speed.

how do you know? To me, if the team had no intentions of having Pods and Gonzalez on this team next year, then they would not be starting. If the team had no intention of bringing back Pods why wasn't he just DFA'd? And why would Gonzalez start instead of just being a backup?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
how do you know? To me, if the team had no intentions of having Pods and Gonzalez on this team next year, then they would not be starting. If the team had no intention of bringing back Pods why wasn't he just DFA'd? And why would Gonzalez start instead of just being a backup?

Well, with Pods...it is actually not out of the realm of possibilities that some other team could be interested in trading something for him next year to pick him up, esp. if he could have a few good games. There are enough teams who could use a backup OF/pinch runner for that to at least not be out of the realm of possibilities. Gonzalez I'd say is probably getting playing time because we don't really have any other options for a 3rd baseman other than Fields.