Broadway/Phillips Called up too

fathom

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

No Sweeney because of too many outfielders. This is just comical right now. I guess we can't take away time from Erstad's spot-starts. This might be the least impressive list of call-ups any team will have.

Erstad is a shadow starter. We bench a player a day to rotate him in.

I know that there are some 40 man roster issues (though is it really that important to keep Pods around or to make sure we don't lose Paulino Reynoso?) but I think these purported call ups are a joke since:

- I'm not convinced that if we fill CF internally next season Owens is a better option than Sweeney.

- I'm not convinced that Gio and/or Egbert aren't the most capable of making major contributions to the team next season.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
I know that there are some 40 man roster issues (though is it really that important to keep Pods around or to make sure we don't lose Paulino Reynoso?) but I think these purported call ups are a joke since:

- I'm not convinced that if we fill CF internally next season Owens is a better option than Sweeney.

- I'm not convinced that Gio and/or Egbert aren't the most capable of making major contributions to the team next season.

It'd be useless for Gonzalez or Egbert to be promoted and, if their lucky, have one start each in September. I know I'm not interested in watching them pitch out of the bullpen. That includes next season. I'd hate for either to be successfull and Williams and Guillen to enter the whole "letting starting pitchers pitch out of the bullpen for a season because it worked for Buehrle and Garland" phase. There's a number of people on this website who seem to support that idea, and I'd hate for that crowd to have ammunition.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
It'd be useless for Gonzalez or Egbert to be promoted and, if their lucky, have one start each in September. I know I'm not interested in watching them pitch out of the bullpen. That includes next season. I'd hate for either to be successfull and Williams and Guillen to enter the whole "letting starting pitchers pitch out of the bullpen for a season because it worked for Buehrle and Garland" phase. There's a number of people on this website who seem to support that idea, and I'd hate for that crowd to have ammunition.

Egbert has to go on the 40 man anyways, but I wouldn't mind keeping the milage low on his arm, especially heading to the AFL and all.

As far as Lucy, I'm expecting him to go David Cook on some poor schmuck.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)

Hmm. Well I guess it depends on your goal. If you think we're not going to be serious contenders next season anyways - and I probably fall into that camp - then maybe it makes the most sense to leave them in the minors to give them more seasoning so they don't lose any service time. Then Kenny will probably be forced to tear the team down (unless he's fired) and we can call up Egbert and Gio when we're sure they're entirely ready. I was thinking that purely in terms of the organization's stated goal of winning in the short term, it makes the most sense to give Gio and Egbert a shot next season whether it's as starters or relievers.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Egbert has to go on the 40 man anyways, but I wouldn't mind keeping the milage low on his arm, especially heading to the AFL and all.

That's certainly a valid concern. If the idea was to to shut down both pitchers to protect their arms then I'd probably be behind that. However, I'd rather see Egbert pitch 2 or 3 games in the majors than to have him pitch in the AFL.

I swear, if I have to watch Erstad play another game I am going to kill myself. I love how he get's his AB's every other game rather than bringing up our so called "future" and letting them figure things out. Hell, they could put Harold Baines out there and get better production!

Instead, Darin Erstad is the future, let's ride that pony all the way to the World Series. It's painful to watch him and McCrazy get the pt they do. :chair

Sorry, too many Miller Lites, tired of watching this hores*** team take the field each night and piss it away in one way or another. Thank God football is here to ease the pain.

QUOTE(CarlosMartinez @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
I swear, if I have to watch Erstad play another game I am going to kill myself. I love how he get's his AB's every other game rather than bringing up our so called "future" and letting them figure things out. Hell, they could put Harold Baines out there and get better production!

Instead, Darin Erstad is the future, let's ride that pony all the way to the World Series. It's painful to watch him and McCrazy get the pt they do. :chair

Sorry, too many Miller Lites, tired of watching this hores*** team take the field each night and piss it away in one way or another. Thank God football is here to ease the pain.

Better get used to it, he'll be back again next season.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
Maybe the Angels will take Erstad back. There must be some Rowand-like love for Erstad back in Cali.

Reggie Willits has already taken over the short, white, grinder role in Anaheim except he's 7 years younger than Erstad and . . . wait for it . . . good.

I do think they'd take Darin back, of course he'd have to retire first but I'm sure the Angels would give him some sort of managing position within the organization.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

No Sweeney because of too many outfielders. This is just comical right now. I guess we can't take away time from Erstad's spot-starts. This might be the least impressive list of call-ups any team will have.

With Owens in CF, Dye locked up in RF, and Fields now in LF, where is he going to play ? Plus, he has had a below average season.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 03:14 AM)
With Owens in CF, Dye locked up in RF, and Fields now in LF, where is he going to play ? Plus, he has had a below average season.

His .270/.348/.398 line doesn't compare too poorly to Owen's .284/.361/.366 line and Owens is apparently good enough to play ever day at the major league level.

Any question if the Sox organization is likely heading for years among the bottom-feeders should be answered with not only the wretched product we have on the field now, but these callups to boot. This will probably be the worst/least upside/not ready group of callups in MLB.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
Hmm. Well I guess it depends on your goal. If you think we're not going to be serious contenders next season anyways - and I probably fall into that camp - then maybe it makes the most sense to leave them in the minors to give them more seasoning so they don't lose any service time. Then Kenny will probably be forced to tear the team down (unless he's fired) and we can call up Egbert and Gio when we're sure they're entirely ready. I was thinking that purely in terms of the organization's stated goal of winning in the short term, it makes the most sense to give Gio and Egbert a shot next season whether it's as starters or relievers.

That's certainly a valid concern. If the idea was to to shut down both pitchers to protect their arms then I'd probably be behind that. However, I'd rather see Egbert pitch 2 or 3 games in the majors than to have him pitch in the AFL.

The point of the fall league is for Lucy to be able to go in (he is not expected to pitch many innings there at all) and work on a couple of his secondary pitches that the organization is working with him on. He could not do that at the major league level.