Broadway/Phillips Called up too

fathom

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
I just had no idea the type of minor league experts we had on this site. To make blanket statements such as players having NO FUTURE in the major leagues is quite bold, seeing as I'm sure you have seen both Phillips and Broadway make numerous starts, correct?

For two guys most of you have never seen throw more than 10 innings of Spring Training ball, it's pretty easy for you to write their future.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I live close to Charlotte, and reluctantly concur about the negative assessments of Broadway and Phillips. Broadway underwhelms, has control problems, looks to me like he has a low ceiling. Phillips regressed this year, and is getting "old" as prospects go. We're all Sox fans here, young and old, liberal, conservative and apolitical. No one wants to be the harbinger of gloom, the cupboard just looks awful bare all across the Sox farm system.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
I can't speak for anyone else, but I live close to Charlotte, and reluctantly concur about the negative assessments of Broadway and Phillips. Broadway underwhelms, has control problems, looks to me like he has a low ceiling. Phillips regressed this year, and is getting "old" as prospects go. We're all Sox fans here, young and old, liberal, conservative and apolitical. No one wants to be the harbinger of gloom, the cupboard just looks awful bare all across the Sox farm system.

Very solid post.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
Well Jim Callis doesn't scout the Sox farm system either. He knows a whole bunch more about the Cubs system because he's a huge Cub fan.

Doesn't mean his opinion/insight don't have merit. But it also doesn't mean just because he says the Sox have the worst farm system that it's gospel.

I'll concede that I should have said "arguably the worst farm system". Debating if it is the worst is probably futile. But we should be able to agree that it is undeniably bad and one of the worst in baseball. I don't see how one can look at the AAA, AA, and A ball rosters and think anything else.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
If Chad Durbin, Jason Grilli, and Todd Jones can all remain in the Detroit bullpen, then anything's possible. They're assuredly are not franchise savers, but give pitchers a chance before just completely writing them off; that's 3 pitchers - Phillips, Floyd, and Broadway - that you have given absolutely no chance at all. Floyd's turned in a mixed bag of performances, but he has a future in the majors, whether as a starting pitcher or reliever, and I'd imagine both Broadway and Phillips - much moreso Phillips than Broadway, but I feel both do - have a future in the majors, both likely as relievers or rubber armed 5th starters.

The problem is Ozzie and KW are being idiots about how they are handling Floyd. Remember, I'm in the anti-Floyd camp, but since the beginning of August I've been saying that Floyd should be pitching every 5th day to see if there is any hope for him. Why not run him out there for 10-12 starts on 4 days rest.

This crap that KW and Ozzie are pulling with spots starts is BS. I'm a firm belieber that young starting pitchers need to be in a routine when they first get called up to the bigs and get their feet wet. Kind of like teams not keeping a young stud eveyday player on the roster because it doesn't do him any good to get 3 at bats a week, it doesn't do Floyd any good to start him every 15 days.

Floyd and the Sox needed to see Floyd get those starts to see if he can be relied on for next year. The last month of the year, they finally decide to do that, but even that's not written in stone.

KW is a fool.

Bob

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
I personally would like to see these players get the September call-up: Aardsma, Haeger, Masset, Perez (AA), Sisco, Vasquez, Anderson (if possible???), and Sweeney. While that may seem like a lot of pitchers, a lot of the regular pitchers who we know will be around next season will get pretty much shut down, and we need to audition for next years pen (Perez, Vasquez, Aardsma, etc.). Anderson, I have no f-ing clue. Sweeney, it would be good to see him get a start every other day or so giving Dye/Thome a day off and just playing at the MLB level a little bit more.

Anderson has been out for pretty much the whole 2nd half of the season with a wrist injury IIRC. Not wrist-strong enough.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
Everything would point to that. It seems that there are very few "high celling" prospects in the Sox system, especially positional. It's a huge problem that needs to be addressed, the sooner the better.

However, that doesn't mean I'm going to "write off" Broadway and Phillips, before I ever see them in a actual MLB game. I just have a hard time with people giving harsh opinions on things they have never seen.

I don't know about writing these guys off but I'd be ware of any Sox minor league pitcher that is called up to the majors. They've done a horrible job with pitching, and until there are massive changes, it's hard to belive guys with mediocre stuff that play for a crappy minor league system are going to be good.

That being said, I'm all for seeing them just so I don't have to watch the current crop of suckholes pitch.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
The problem is Ozzie and KW are being idiots about how they are handling Floyd. Remember, I'm in the anti-Floyd camp, but since the beginning of August I've been saying that Floyd should be pitching every 5th day to see if there is any hope for him. Why not run him out there for 10-12 starts on 4 days rest.

This crap that KW and Ozzie are pulling with spots starts is BS. I'm a firm belieber that young starting pitchers need to be in a routine when they first get called up to the bigs and get their feet wet. Kind of like teams not keeping a young stud eveyday player on the roster because it doesn't do him any good to get 3 at bats a week, it doesn't do Floyd any good to start him every 15 days.

Floyd and the Sox needed to see Floyd get those starts to see if he can be relied on for next year. The last month of the year, they finally decide to do that, but even that's not written in stone.

KW is a fool.

Bob

Bob, I actually like how they've handled the situation. They've raised (if that's the term you want to use) Contreras's value just slightly, they're saving Danks' arm for next year and beyond, and they are getting a more extended look at Gavin, both from the bullpen and the rotation. Gavin doesn't necessarily have to end up in the rotation next year, and thus, seeing him out of the pen and rotation, IMO, is absolutely necessary. I wanted to see him in the rotation for the rest of the year as well, but the way they have handled it has been absolutely fine.

Broadway and Philips were not called up because they "deserved" it - they are being called up to show what they can do, because neither one of them is likely to be with the organization in 2008. So, since the season is lost, why the hell not? Phillips can't be protected anymore except on the 40 anyway. I love how people here are assuming these guys are being called up because they are the team's best prospects, and therefore the farm system must surely suck. Well, OK, it does kind of suck. But there are a number of good pitching prospects - these two just aren't among them. There are other motivations clearly at work here.

As for Lucy, he is the one I am psyched to watch play. Even as a rookie, he'd probably be a far sight better than Hall right now. And he is already a superior defender and thrower as compared to either of the current catchers. Add to that he's known to be strong at game calling and pitcher handling. He's never going to be a spectacular hitter, probably, but as he has progressed through each level, he pretty consistently gets his average up to the .265-.280 range, an OBP in the .340-.360 range, and steals a few bases (this year at B-Ham: .269 AVG, .343 OBP, 13-for-14 in SB attempts). Whomever said "he's overmatched at AAA" needs to keep in mind he's been there less than a month. A lousy month, but only a month none the less.

The Terrero thing is crap, though. That really should have been Sweeney. I don't see the reasoning there.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)
I'm just asking, but at the AA and AAA level who might these pitchers be that aren't named Gio Gonzalez?

Its all subjective, but as far as starters go, I'd call Gio and Egbert high-potential pitching prospects. There are also some others that SOME think have MLB starter potential of varying degree, but if I bring up names like Masset or Haeger, there will inevitably be contrarians. Gio and Eggy are the two that would be commonly accepted as such. Let's not even get started on Gavin Floyd, but to say he certainly shows some of the right tools (just not the mental ones). My personal pick for someone others don't consider - Ryan Wing.

As for relievers, I think its a lot harder to say - there is so much more guesswork there. Guys like Vasquez, Russell, Day and Perez all looks like they have better than even chances of being MLB relievers, and possibly very good ones.

And at the lower levels, of course, there are yet others, but it gets a lot harder to predict down there.

Broadway and Philips were not called up because they "deserved" it - they are being called up to show what they can do, because neither one of them is likely to be with the organization in 2008. So, since the season is lost, why the hell not? Phillips can't be protected anymore except on the 40 anyway. I love how people here are assuming these guys are being called up because they are the team's best prospects, and therefore the farm system must surely suck. Well, OK, it does kind of suck. But there are a number of good pitching prospects - these two just aren't among them. There are other motivations clearly at work here.

As for Lucy, he is the one I am psyched to watch play. Even as a rookie, he'd probably be a far sight better than Hall right now. And he is already a superior defender and thrower as compared to either of the current catchers. Add to that he's known to be strong at game calling and pitcher handling. He's never going to be a spectacular hitter, probably, but as he has progressed through each level, he pretty consistently gets his average up to the .265-.280 range, an OBP in the .340-.360 range, and steals a few bases (this year at B-Ham: .269 AVG, .343 OBP, 13-for-14 in SB attempts). Whomever said "he's overmatched at AAA" needs to keep in mind he's been there less than a month. A lousy month, but only a month none the less.

The Terrero thing is crap, though. That really should have been Sweeney. I don't see the reasoning there.

Very insightful post. I agree on Ryan Wing too, they need to make a decision on him this winter.

Sweeney isn't up because he's not 100% and they want to get him healthy.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
Very insightful post. I agree on Ryan Wing too, they need to make a decision on him this winter.

Sweeney isn't up because he's not 100% and they want to get him healthy.

If Sweeney is indeed still healing, or if recalling him would somehow screw up his arb clock, then I can understand those reasons. I just didn't see indications that either was the case. Thanks for the info.

The farm system isn't gonna change until the Sox draft better, which hasn't been happening. They could get a quicker fix if they were actually willing to go over slot on guys, but we know that won't happen. A couple of years ago the Yankees had one of the worst systems in baseball, but the last couple of years they have went over slot and taken guys like Chamberlain, Kennedy, and Brackman.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
If Sweeney is indeed still healing, or if recalling him would somehow screw up his arb clock, then I can understand those reasons. I just didn't see indications that either was the case. Thanks for the info.

I really hope I am wrong, and it is an injury that is keeping him from being up here. We don't need more washouts.

I really hope I am wrong, and it is an injury that is keeping him from being up here. We don't need more washouts.

The injury notwithstanding, he did not have a great year. This is probably the first year he didn't make good progress. Hopefully it's an aberration but re-signing Jermaine Dye tells us a lot about how ready they think Sweeney is to being a productive every day major leaguer.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
The injury notwithstanding, he did not have a great year. This is probably the first year he didn't make good progress. Hopefully it's an aberration but re-signing Jermaine Dye tells us a lot about how ready they think Sweeney is to being a productive every day major leaguer.

I believe there are some arbitration-clock issues at play as well given that he was called up earlier this season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
I believe there are some arbitration-clock issues at play as well given that he was called up earlier this season.

Sweeney was only up for I believe 23 days earlier this year, even if he were called up right now and stayed up for the remainder of the season it still wouldn't count as a year of service. So no, there are no Arb issues here.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
Sweeney was only up for I believe 23 days earlier this year, even if he were called up right now and stayed up for the remainder of the season it still wouldn't count as a year of service. So no, there are no Arb issues here.
I can solve this dilemna.. Put Pods and Erstadt on the 60 day Dl.. Who would know if they are hurt or not. One or both will end up on the dl before the season's end. Bring up Bourgeous to play 3rd. If we are in need of another outfielder see if Colarro can hack it in the bigs.. RIght now the sox aren't in contention for anything but the worst record which will grant them the first pick.. They might waste that pick when they trade that number 1 pick for a later pick that they might be able to sign cheaply.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
I can solve this dilemna.. Put Pods and Erstadt on the 60 day Dl.. Who would know if they are hurt or not. One or both will end up on the dl before the season's end. Bring up Bourgeous to play 3rd. If we are in need of another outfielder see if Colarro can hack it in the bigs.. RIght now the sox aren't in contention for anything but the worst record which will grant them the first pick.. They might waste that pick when they trade that number 1 pick for a later pick that they might be able to sign cheaply.

Can't trade the pick, but you could always pick someone safe as the Sox have done in recent history. The Sox appear to start being more aggressive as far as the player is concerned, high risk / high ceiling, but with a top pick coming, its nice because they may get lucky enough to pick a player with significantly lower risk / still high ceiling. I've heard some names around, but anyone have a current top 5?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
The Reds have Bailey, Votto, and Bruce.....that's three of the better prospects in baseball.

Fathom is correct. In fact, went one of them just proved it.

Off Topic, but Votto went 3-3 HR, RBI, BB, 2 R in his first big league start (PH a day eariler and K'd) Supposedly one of the better (perhaps the best) 1B prospect(s) comming out of the minors. I hope we get that type of impact player when he develops in 2+ years in the upcomming draft.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
Fathom is correct. In fact, went one of them just proved it.

Off Topic, but Votto went 3-3 HR, RBI, BB, 2 R in his first big league start (PH a day eariler and K'd) Supposedly one of the better (perhaps the best) 1B prospect(s) comming out of the minors. I hope we get that type of impact player when he develops in 2+ years in the upcomming draft.

Player A - .291/.383/.522/.905 in low-A

Player B - .302/.419/.486/.905 in low-A

One of them is Joey Votto; another is a current 20 year old within the White Sox organization.

Carter looks like he could potentially be an impact prospect and could be a top 5 prospect in the organization next year based on potential. They are going to take it very slow with him though, what with Thome here for the next 2 years and Konerko and Dye for the next 3, there's no need for his bat to be in the majors until about 2010 or 2011.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
Can't trade the pick, but you could always pick someone safe as the Sox have done in recent history. The Sox appear to start being more aggressive as far as the player is concerned, high risk / high ceiling, but with a top pick coming, its nice because they may get lucky enough to pick a player with significantly lower risk / still high ceiling. I've heard some names around, but anyone have a current top 5?

The #1 pick is a pretty safe pick anyway. The odds are very good that he will contribute on the mlb team at some point.

Have we figured out why the hell the Sox haven't called up Jason Bourgeois yet? I mean, I know we'd have to clear a player off the 40 man like the all-important Heath Phillips or -- even better -- Paulino Reynoso (who, for some reason, gets protected year after year after year for no apparent reason -- good thing we protected him instead of Fabio Castro!). It would be so like the Sox to go old, expensive and crappy on the bench with Ozuna and Cintron instead of going with the two (clearly) better, cheaper and younger options in Gonzalez and Bourgeois.

Also -- why aren't we seeing Oneli Perez? One would have to figure that now is the perfect time to break Oneli into the bigs. As of right now, I'd say there are three spots locked up (Jenks, Logan, Wassermann) with two more 'probable' locks (MacDougal and Thorton). Shouldn't September be an extended tryout for guys like Aardsma, Perez and Vasquez? Oh right, Broadway and Heath f***ing Phillips...

Just thought I would throw this blurb in here about our top "reach" draft pick last year.

Aaron Poreda, LHP, Chicago White Sox (No. 25)

Aaron Poreda tagged his contract offer presented by the White Sox on June 16, and he has been untouchable ever since. A 6-foot-6, 240-pounder who pitches as big as his size, Poreda has posted an equally imposing 48:10 K to BB rate in his 46.1 frames of work. The University of San Francisco product features a blazing arsenal, which has yielded a 0.85 WHIP and .181 BAA. Pair those results with a stunning 68% groundball rate and Aaron Poreda has been just about as dominant a prospect as the 2007 class has produced to date.