Broadway/Phillips Called up too

fathom

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
Well, with Pods...it is actually not out of the realm of possibilities that some other team could be interested in trading something for him next year to pick him up, esp. if he could have a few good games. There are enough teams who could use a backup OF/pinch runner for that to at least not be out of the realm of possibilities. Gonzalez I'd say is probably getting playing time because we don't really have any other options for a 3rd baseman other than Fields.

I would bet we see Gonzalez on the bench next year. As long as he isn't deemed a starter, I really have no problem with that, he's versatile.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

No Sweeney because of too many outfielders. This is just comical right now. I guess we can't take away time from Erstad's spot-starts. This might be the least impressive list of call-ups any team will have.

Shouldn't Sweeney have to earn the spot ? I understand that Erstad and Podsednik aren't part of next year's plan, but what has Sweeney done to deserve that opportunity ?

With all the talk of signing a CF, and Fields most likely playing LF (and Dye in RF), Owens in at least one OF reserve, I don't necessarily see how's earned a spot unless he begins to play better, and there's only one left.

I personally would like to see these players get the September call-up: Aardsma, Haeger, Masset, Perez (AA), Sisco, Vasquez, Anderson (if possible???), and Sweeney. While that may seem like a lot of pitchers, a lot of the regular pitchers who we know will be around next season will get pretty much shut down, and we need to audition for next years pen (Perez, Vasquez, Aardsma, etc.). Anderson, I have no f-ing clue. Sweeney, it would be good to see him get a start every other day or so giving Dye/Thome a day off and just playing at the MLB level a little bit more.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
They're not good. Anybody who tells you that they are is fooling themselves. Neither of them has any significant major league future for any team resembling a good one.

If Chad Durbin, Jason Grilli, and Todd Jones can all remain in the Detroit bullpen, then anything's possible. They're assuredly are not franchise savers, but give pitchers a chance before just completely writing them off; that's 3 pitchers - Phillips, Floyd, and Broadway - that you have given absolutely no chance at all. Floyd's turned in a mixed bag of performances, but he has a future in the majors, whether as a starting pitcher or reliever, and I'd imagine both Broadway and Phillips - much moreso Phillips than Broadway, but I feel both do - have a future in the majors, both likely as relievers or rubber armed 5th starters.

These two guys will work long relief and try to eat innings as necessary. They have to fish or cut bait with Phillips anyways, might as well let other teams see him pitch in the big leagues.

By the way Sweeney has been playing but isn't 100% which is a big factor in him not being called up, it's not a conspiracy theory or anything. His health was a problem this year and he needs a break to get healthy.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
If Chad Durbin, Jason Grilli, and Todd Jones can all remain in the Detroit bullpen, then anything's possible.

Grilli and Durbin were much better prospects than Broadway and Phillips. Jones was a very effective major league pitcher at one time. I do agree those 3 guys aren't that great. So what would that say about a team looking to Broadway, Floyd, and Phillips who aren't anywhere close to as good as Grilli, Durbin, and Jones? If those 3 guys are on the Sox staff next season, they'll be headed for something historically bad.

Edited by hitlesswonder

What more is there to say? The Sox have the worst farm system in baseball. GP said all that needs to be said.

What is your evidence to this as I am led to believe the Reds and/or Pirates have the worst systems in the MLB? How many other organizations fo you regularly scout?

If Chad Durbin, Jason Grilli, and Todd Jones can all remain in the Detroit bullpen, then anything's possible. They're assuredly are not franchise savers, but give pitchers a chance before just completely writing them off; that's 3 pitchers - Phillips, Floyd, and Broadway - that you have given absolutely no chance at all. Floyd's turned in a mixed bag of performances, but he has a future in the majors, whether as a starting pitcher or reliever, and I'd imagine both Broadway and Phillips - much moreso Phillips than Broadway, but I feel both do - have a future in the majors, both likely as relievers or rubber armed 5th starters.

I didn't completely write them off. I wrote,

They're not good. Anybody who tells you that they are is fooling themselves. Neither of them has any significant major league future for any team resembling a good one.

Besides that, Jones has better stuff than either of them, Grilli's fastball ain't so bad as either of their "fast"balls and Durbin is their ceiling. Like I said, they're not good and anybody who says they have significant major league futures ahead of them are mistaken.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
Grilli and Durbin were much better prospects than Broadway and Phillips. Jones was a very effective major league pitcher at one time. I do agree those 3 guys aren't that great. So what does that say about a team looking to Broadway, Floyd, and Phillips who aren't anywhere close to as good as Grilli, Durbin, and Jones?

Concur.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
What is your evidence to this as I am led to believe the Reds and/or Pirates have the worst systems in the MLB? How many other organizations fo you regularly scout?

I'm not going to try to find the link, but Jim Callis said the CWS would likely be his pick for worst farm system. Houston is the Sox main competition. The Reds (Bailey, Votto) and Pirates (McCutchen and Lincoln) both are better from what I've read...

And for what it's worth, I think calling up Phillips is a good decision -- the Sox should pitch him and see if he does well enough to elicit any trade interest since they'll need to decide what to do with him and this season is shot anyway. I don't see the point in calling up Broadway. I was just concurring with GP that odds are strongly against these guys being effective major leaguers for the Sox

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)

The Sox are near the bottom due to serious lack of position prospects after Fields' graduation and Sweeney's lack of improvement.

The Reds surely are not the worst system. They have four top 25 prospects including Baseball America's 2007 minor league player of the year.

I'm not going to try to find the link, but Jim Callis said the CWS would likely be his pick for worst farm system. Houston is the Sox main competition. The Reds (Bailey, Votto) and Pirates (McCutchen and Lincoln) both are better from what I've read...

Well Jim Callis doesn't scout the Sox farm system either. He knows a whole bunch more about the Cubs system because he's a huge Cub fan.

Doesn't mean his opinion/insight don't have merit. But it also doesn't mean just because he says the Sox have the worst farm system that it's gospel.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)

I read that too, but who really knows? It wasn't long ago everyone said the Sox had the best, and that was far from accurate. I just hope there are more surprises than busts. The Sox are very thin in position prospects. They have had the philosophy of drafting pitchers because that is what is most valuable, thinking if they develop they can always trade them for something else.

IIRC it was the off season after 2000 that the Sox farm system was getting all those accolades. Obviously, the system was overrated then. I'd like to hope that it's a tad underrated now, but when you examine it one "prospect" at a time, things look bleak. The Sox are just going to have to get better quickly at drafting and developing quality baseball players. No matter what, we're probably in for some tough years in the immediate future as Sox fans.