Daily Herald / Scot Gregor Article

29andPoplar

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the price, I'd be surprised if Iguchi came back. I imagine he could get somewhere close to $5 mill a year, and that, atleast in my mind, is not the most efficient way of spending. A name you've brought up before, Mark Loretta, really makes a lot of sense for the White Sox, as he can play all around the infield, he puts the ball in play a lot and gets on base at a solid rate, and rakes against lefties (.800 OPS this year, .798 for his career). That would allow the Sox the ability to have Richar start next year, and if he struggles, the Sox have an insurance plan in Loretta and perhaps even Bourgeois.

Also, reassuring our beliefs...

If Floyd finishes strong, the White Sox will have one less worry when they trade either Jose Contreras or Jon Garland this winter.

The way I take it, one of JC and JG is gone (though I'd honestly probably prefer both), and they'll only have one less worry if Gavin pitches well. If he doesn't, it's just another hole.

And it's kind of intriguing how many Japanese names the Sox may be pursuing...a shortstop and reliever along with Kosuke...and it also addresses many of the Sox needs. Japan has worked fairly well for the Sox before, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them go that route again.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
*waits for post about how what we got back for Iguchi was the equivalent of what a bum would bring back*

*waits for another post from someone explaining why there was no reason not to trade Iguchi*

*waits for dumb response from someone about how we still should have kept Iguchi for two months*

Go.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that there are still people who don't understand that whole situation. It simply amazes me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
There's a team option on him after this season. So hopefully we've seen the last of him.

I'd suspect they wait on the option until they are able to get a deal for a shortstop, if they can. They wouldn't want to be completely naked at that position if they can avoid it, since that would put them at a serious trade/negotiation disadvantage.

So does anyone know when, exactly, they have to tell Juan or their decision?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
You find me one instance where a sane person called Iguchi and bum and I'll give you 50 bucks.
I seem to remember definitely being in the minority and taking my lumps when I suggested that one lousy Class A pitcher was not enough for him. You must also know, if you read my posts, that I'm sometimes a little sarcastic. Too lazy to reach for the green. or teal, or whatever it is. You can save the fifty bucks, but if we ever meet you can pop for a nice Italian beef and my favorite brew.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
I seem to remember definitely being in the minority and taking my lumps when I suggested that one lousy Class A pitcher was not enough for him. You must also know, if you read my posts, that I'm sometimes a little sarcastic. Too lazy to reach for the green. or teal, or whatever it is. You can save the fifty bucks, but if we ever meet you can pop for a nice Italian beef and my favorite brew.

Saying that getting anything for Iguchi given his contract situation was a good thing is not equal to saying Iguchi was a bum. The White Sox saved $1 million and got something for him before he walked, and got Richar a chance to get 2 months of his big league struggles, which were inevitable for him, out of the way. He doesn't have to have been a bum for us to think that was a good deal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that there are still people who don't understand that whole situation. It simply amazes me.
I understand it quite well, but still disagree. I disagree about a lot of "whole situations" in life. I'm sorry if I found it humorous that it looks like Iguchi just might be a much better bet to have at 2b than Richar.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
I understand it quite well, but still disagree. I disagree about a lot of "whole situations" in life. I'm sorry if I found it humorous that it looks like Iguchi just might be a much better bet to have at 2b than Richar.

If our goal was winning the world series this year, yes, you'd be correct.

By the time July rolled around, that was no longer a reasonable goal.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)

Iguchi can hit, however having him and Konerko on the right side of the infield makes for one of the poorest from the range standpoint. A lot of balls got through. Gooch is a bit older, and should regress over the next few years. Especially in the fielding standpoint. I would rather get a platoon partner if they want to ease Richar's introduction.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
Then what does it say if, and I know it's an "if", we turn around and sign Iguchi in the off season?

Then that means we decided that Richar was not the best way to win a world series next year either. And that we'll be darn happy we could sign him again without losing any draft picks.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Iguchi can hit, however having him and Konerko on the right side of the infield makes for one of the poorest from the range standpoint. A lot of balls got through. Gooch is a bit older, and should regress over the next few years. Especially in the fielding standpoint. I would rather get a platoon partner if they want to ease Richar's introduction.
I'm already in enough trouble in this thread, but statistically Iguchi is having his best year in the field, since coming to the Sox in 05. No, I don't think he's a gold glover, or the second coming of Bill Mazeroski.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Then that means we decided that Richar was not the best way to win a world series next year either. And that we'll be darn happy we could sign him again without losing any draft picks.
Yes of course that's right, but I'd feel more confident in the folks who run things, if they could make the correct evaluations in the first place. I don't think my profile page gets much traffic, but it could be noted that I listed Richar as my favorite prospect. I have no ax to grind against the young man, and truly wish he'd done better with his opportunity. With this, I respectfully bow out of this thread, and will look for others to perhaps get into more trouble. I still find the whole situation a tad humorous.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Yes of course that's right, but I'd feel more confident in the folks who run things, if they could make the correct evaluations in the first place. I don't think my profile page gets much traffic, but it could be noted that I listed Richar as my favorite prospect. I have no ax to grind against the young man, and truly wish he'd done better with his opportunity. With this, I respectfully bow out of this thread, and will look for others to perhaps get into more trouble. I still find the whole situation a tad humorous.

On Richar...I understand why you'd be disappointed in the barely-over-.200 average he's sporting, but he was my AAP, and when he was called up, the single answer I gave to anyone who asked what he'd do was "he's going to struggle at first".

No matter how many AB's he's had in the minors, at every single level he's stopped at, the best word to describe him would be "Raw". He just hadn't played much of the game at all at any level, and he was behind the curve for his age at every level. But he's proven at each level that he's been able to learn and adapt to the game, and I'm at least hoping that's what we'll see from him in the big leagues. He was almost guaranteed to struggle at first...we just hope he gets over it. He is hitting .250 in September after being below .200 in August.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)

Look at the two scenarios that could have occurred. If he had stayed or if he had left, these things remain constant: The Sox are not a contending team, and they have the option to sign or not sign him in the offseason. The only difference is, which of these two would you rather have had:

A. Save $1M, give Richar a chance to show his worth, let Gooch play for a contender and maybe learn a few new things himself.

or

B. Keep the "band" together an extra few months.

The club went with A, and I am fairly certain most of us would agree that it was the right decision. Do you disagree?

I still think Arod is a possibility. Reinsdorf suprised everyone with Belle. They extended Guillen so you know they are going to be agressive.

Here are payroll projections.

http://www.southsidesox.com/special/White-Sox-Payroll-Info

You knock off Garland then that saves you $10mil in 2008. That takes that projected payroll down to $83mil. Add ARod at $30/per and that brings you back up to $113. Plug some holes for another $8mil and you are at $121.

In 2008 you are down to $66, $96 with A-rod.

From a business perspective, they are coming off a terrible season. A PR move like adding ARod would keep butts in the seats, if not increase them. Not spending money will only hurt them with lost revenue. So they have to spend money to make it.

Edited by striker62704

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
I still think Arod is a possibility. Reinsdorf suprised everyone with Belle. They extended Guillen so you know they are going to be agressive.

Here are payroll projections.

http://www.southsidesox.com/special/White-Sox-Payroll-Info

You knock off Garland then that saves you $10mil in 2008. That takes that projected payroll down to $83mil. Add ARod at $30/per and that brings you back up to $113. Plug some holes for another $8mil and you are at $121.

In 2008 you are down to $66, $96 with A-rod.

From a business perspective, they are coming off a terrible season. A PR move like adding ARod would keep butts in the seats, if not increase them. Not spending money will only hurt them with lost revenue. So they have to spend money to make it.

I will admit I like the concept, but I think your numbers have some holes in them. For example, that $93 million doesn't count either option for Crede or Uribe, each of which will probably be about $5 million, and ARod can only play 1 of the 2 spots between 2nd base and the line there. And there's another $5 million or more taken up by the minor players or young guys who will fill out the roster, who simply aren't added by that page.

I think if you want to talk about that name...you have to find a way to move both Garland and Contreras.