The Joe Borchard Homer

Marky Mark

Remember when Joe Borchard hit the longest home run ever in Comiskey at 504 feet? I was thinking about that and wondering if that ball landed past the seats and into the walking area or concourse or whatever its called. Does anyone remember?

PS- I was furious that such a failure like Borchard set that record.

It hit the concourse, which is amazing.

The only thing I've seen even close to that was Terrero's homer (in person!) this year into LF which came this/close to landing in the beer stand under the kids' deck. I've never seen a ball hit that far in the current Sox park; not by Frank, not by Thome, nobody.

I'd swear to this day that Barry Bonds homer off of Bartolo Colon in the 9th inning of a game, after having been struck out the first 3 times he was up, was every bit of 500 feet.

Extremely deep to CF, 3/4 of the way up. If not 500 ft. awfully close.

I was there with 3 other guys that game and we had a table on the top level of the Bullpen bar. We got there early for batting practice and one of the guys was yapping away with his back turned toward the field. Bonds was taking BP and I suggested this guy turn around to watch. He did for several pitches and then turned his back to the field to start talking with someone and just as he did Bonds whistled one out to RF. It whizzed a centimeter past the guys head and hit off the silver railing of the sports bar. The guy said he felt the breeze of the ball blowing by him.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)

I was there with 3 other guys that game and we had a table on the top level of the Bullpen bar. We got there early for batting practice and one of the guys was yapping away with his back turned toward the field. Bonds was taking BP and I suggested this guy turn around to watch. He did for several pitches and then turned his back to the field to start talking with someone and just as he did Bonds whistled one out to RF. It whizzed a centimeter past the guys head and hit off the silver railing of the sports bar. The guy said he felt the breeze of the ball blowing by him.

Damn. :o Good story. :lol:

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)

I was sitting in 101 that day, in the 3rd row. The ball was hit at least 20 rows over my head. I have never seen a ball get that far, not to mention getting out as quick as it did. I laughed when the estimated it under 450 feet.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
It hit the concourse, which is amazing.

The only thing I've seen even close to that was Terrero's homer (in person!) this year into LF which came this/close to landing in the beer stand under the kids' deck. I've never seen a ball hit that far in the current Sox park; not by Frank, not by Thome, nobody.

I went to a game wher Frank hit one 495 feet, onto the left field concourse. I think Terrero's hr was estimated at 455 or something like that

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Somebody out there has a video of the Borchard shot, and needs to put it on youtube. I have, to this day, never seen the video of it because I was at school since it was a day make up game and like nobody was at the game.

You can look at highlights of 2004 on the MLB site, but for some reason there is nothing there for the game of that Borchard homer.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I don't think of Frank or Thome for booming home runs, nothing can compare to a Kittle moon shot. I get goosebumps as I write this. I think he nailed 5 or 6 at the old park, f***ing A-mazing!

Kittle was much, MUCH stronger than his frame suggested. He had amazing power, even by today's juiced-up standards. Dude must've acquired some serious forearm/wrist strength working in the steel mills in Gary.