A school dilemma with my son

RibbieRubarb

His elementary school has declared this Friday as "CUB PRIDE DAY" :o

They have asked the parents to send the kids to school that day in Cub paraphernalia to "support Chicago's team into the playoffs"

Granted, they did do this in 2005 with the White Sox (but they waited until they won the ALCS).

What does a proud White Sox parent do??? (BTW, he is in 3rd grade)

My wife suggests sending him in his Konerko jersey...lol

Your thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
His elementary school has declared this Friday as "CUB PRIDE DAY" :o

They have asked the parents to send the kids to school that day in Cub paraphernalia to "support Chicago's team into the playoffs"

Granted, they did do this in 2005 with the White Sox (but they waited until they won the ALCS).

What does a proud White Sox parent do??? (BTW, he is in 3rd grade)

My wife suggests sending him in his Konerko jersey...lol

Your thoughts?

Bears jersey. Support your city, but not necessarily the Cubs.

Let him decide.

If he wants to fit in and have a day out of the school uniform, get a cheap Cub t-shirt and remember that it's not war or religion, it's a game.

If he doesn't want to wear a Cub shirt, send him to school in his regular school clothes and, if questioned, have him tell them he's a Sox fan and that he doesn't want to wear Cub stuff.

I personally think sending him in Sox stuff would be a jerk move.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
Let him decide.

If he wants to fit in and have a day out of the school uniform, get a cheap Cub t-shirt and remember that it's not war or religion, it's a game.

If he doesn't want to wear a Cub shirt, send him to school in his regular school clothes and, if questioned, have him tell them he's a Sox fan and that he doesn't want to wear Cub stuff.

Yeah, I agree. Dude's in the third grade!

Yeah I wouldn't make him wear a Cubs jersey unless he really wanted to. A Sox jersey would be cool to rebel against. But I did like the Bears jersey or even a Bulls jersey. I think the best idea is if he had a shirt that said Chicago, then he'd be supported the city as well, not necessarily the Cubs.

Let him decide.

This is why I love you.

QUOTE(G&T @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
What did Cubs fans do in '05?

If Cubs fans jumped off the Empire State Building, would YOU have to jump off the Empire State Building????

:D

To me, it's irrelevant what some (and let's emphasize SOME) Cubs fans did during the Sox title run.

This is about a good-natured 3rd grade "rally".

My daughter's school had White Sox Day when the Sox got in the playoffs, and I'm sure some kids wore Cubs stuff that day.

I'd want the bar set higher for my child, that's all.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
If Cubs fans jumped off the Empire State Building, would YOU have to jump off the Empire State Building????

To me, it's irrelevant what some (and let's emphasize SOME) Cubs fans did during the Sox title run.

My daughter's school had White Sox Day when the Sox got in the playoffs, and I'm sure some kids wore Cubs stuff that day.

Do you take your child to the cake shop and tell them it's his birthday every couple of weeks?

Let him decide.

:headbang

He's going to want to cheer with the other 8-year olds, not explain why the Sox don't really suck as bad as the record would seem. I think a Sox jersey would be a decent second choice. The jerk move would be a jersey.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
There are so many reasons why people should, I'm never sure which reason each person gravitates to.

:lol:

Well, it's that and your ass.

But really, you could throw your kid a blue shirt even if he/she is a Sox fan. That way the kid won't stick out like a sore thumb if he/she really doesn't wish to wear a Cubs shirt.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
Well, it's that and your ass.

But really, you could throw your kid a blue shirt even if he/she is a Sox fan. That way the kid won't stick out like a sore thumb if he/she really doesn't wish to wear a Cubs shirt.

Another great suggestion :headbang

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)

Great, but what I'm getting at is, did anybody care if a student didn't wear the Sox clothes? I agree that it should be the kid's choice, but if the kid doesn't care it might be best not to rock the boat. The blue shirt would be good idea.

The more I think about this, the better the teaching moment becomes. And I really like the blue shirt solution. Son, you do not have to cheer, but respect that they are enjoying winning, and don't piss on it. Their enjoyment doesn't mean you lose. Wow. If only a few religions, political parties, and other ideologs would understand that.