Joe Torre?

Rex Kickass

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The writing is on the wall... if Cleveland wins this series Torre will be fired and he will be an analyst on ESPN's baseball tonight. Girardi will replace him.

Agree with you on this. Even if NYY pull the improbable and go all the way, I think Torre will walk away on his own terms. He is 67, his family has been pestering him, and looking at it objectively he doesn't have anything to prove at this point.

Even if they do win it all, I would think he would tell George to shove it up his a** finally. From what I heard about it, he wasn't too happy about George bringing this to the media this time.

As for his abilities, I think he played a major role in the early WS wins. I think the more BS from George he has had to deal with, the less desire he has had. I know that if I am in a job where my boss is a loon, and I can't stand the guy, I still do a good job, but not the best I could.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 09:51 AM)
I don't see the fascination with Torre. He has the highest paid team in baseball every year. You could plug any decent guy in his place and get similar results.

I agree 100%.

I didn't read everyone's comments but I do agree with those who think he is somewhat overrated.

I think dealing with the "Ego's" is overrated. He did win titles when the team wasn't the 200 million payroll machine so he deserves credit for that. His failures when it has been a team of AllStar signings though has been what has brought down his legacy.

If he goes. I sure do hope they promote Larry Bowa. He is a nut and I would love to see the antics that happen in NY with him in charge. It could be some of the most entertaining baseball we have seen in years.

Also, maybe him being so animated will give this team the life it seems to lack. Torre is always so calm and collected I think it has a negative effect on his ballclub sometimes. Just a little pulse out of him would do wonders for that team on occasion. Especially, with them appearing to be going younger next season you will need that. Leave the reserved types for hitting/pitching coach. Get someone fiery to lead the club.

I really don't care who the Yankees hire, because no matter who gets hired or fired or who stays, ESPN will be shelving World Series coverage to rehash it all.

If I didn't have to hear about Boston and the Yankees as if they were the only two teams in baseball, I would hate them a lot less.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
He should resign after the game and beat George to the punch.

Obviously he has a job next year if he wants one.

Obviously he's rich and even can have a TV gig if he wants one.

Girardi to the Yanks?

Mattingly?

Does Joe Torre have anymore years left on his contract? If so, don't quit, take every penny of Stein's money.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
I didn't read everyone's comments but I do agree with those who think he is somewhat overrated.

I think dealing with the "Ego's" is overrated. He did win titles when the team wasn't the 200 million payroll machine so he deserves credit for that. His failures when it has been a team of AllStar signings though has been what has brought down his legacy.

If he goes. I sure do hope they promote Larry Bowa. He is a nut and I would love to see the antics that happen in NY with him in charge. It could be some of the most entertaining baseball we have seen in years.

Also, maybe him being so animated will give this team the life it seems to lack. Torre is always so calm and collected I think it has a negative effect on his ballclub sometimes. Just a little pulse out of him would do wonders for that team on occasion. Especially, with them appearing to be going younger next season you will need that. Leave the reserved types for hitting/pitching coach. Get someone fiery to lead the club.

The Yankees played ridiculously well after about the 50th game of the season. They were 14 games back at one point and pulled within one game of Boston this season. The Yankees weren't lackluster until this past weekend.

The problem with the Yankees is with their starting pitching. Clemens is done, Mussina's about there too. Wang is a great talent, but really inconsistent. They're starters just aren't world championship caliber yet. They have a good young core to build around though - people like Wang and Chamberlin will be good for the Yanks in the long haul, they just aren't where they need to be yet.

Here's an interesting series fact for you. The starting pitcher for the Yankees in this series lasted on average less than four innings. How often do you win series like that?

The Yankees played ridiculously well after about the 50th game of the season. They were 14 games back at one point and pulled within one game of Boston this season. The Yankees weren't lackluster until this past weekend.

The problem with the Yankees is with their starting pitching. Clemens is done, Mussina's about there too. Wang is a great talent, but really inconsistent. They're starters just aren't world championship caliber yet. They have a good young core to build around though - people like Wang and Chamberlin will be good for the Yanks in the long haul, they just aren't where they need to be yet.

Here's an interesting series fact for you. The starting pitcher for the Yankees in this series lasted on average less than four innings. How often do you win series like that?

Yea I saw that. That's terrible. When Wang was coming out they said it was the 15th inning that the starting pitching had gone in the series.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
Joe Torrre probably won't bench coach for anyone, let alone Ozzie Guillen. Why on Earth would he take such a demotion, especially for a guy who is nowhere near his level in prestige?

I doubt he comes back as well, but it's possible he could come back for the love of the game and just end up stepping out of the spotlight, ala Don Zimmer.

If he does, I'd imagine it would be for St. Louis and not Chicago.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
Even if they do win it all, I would think he would tell George to shove it up his a** finally. From what I heard about it, he wasn't too happy about George bringing this to the media this time.

I read Birth of a Dynasty on a cross-country flight last week and was amazed at some of the Steinbrenner stories. He is a massive POS and I'm surprised that one of his employees hasn't beaten him into a coma yet.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)

I'd say that his ability to make the playoffs and then rip off four straight in the WS against the juggernaut Braves in their prime, with an injury-riddled (Cone, Pettitte) and declining/under-performing (Gooden, Key, Rogers) rotation, a lineup full of declining dinosaurs (Strawberry, Boggs, Sierra), and a borderline-insane owner who put an excessive amount of pressure on his players makes him a pretty freaking good manager. Even with King George's coffers, Torre's still a HOF manager.

Edited by WCSox

I read Birth of a Dynasty on a cross-country flight last week and was amazed at some of the Steinbrenner stories. He is a massive POS and I'm surprised that one of his employees hasn't beaten him into a coma yet.

I'd say that his ability to make the playoffs and then rip off four straight in the WS against the juggernaut Braves in their prime, with an injury-riddled (Cone, Pettitte) and declining/under-performing (Gooden, Key, Rogers) rotation, a lineup full of declining dinosaurs (Strawberry, Boggs, Sierra), and a borderline-insane owner who put an excessive amount of pressure on his players makes him a pretty freaking good manager. Even with King George's coffers, Torre's still a HOF manager.

Totally agree with you. That what I was getting at by bolding somewhat in my statement.

I think there is no question he is a great manager. However, being in NY for one and with the Yankees inparticular, things tend to get bigger then they are. Whether it is a good thing or if there is a problem.

Those Yankee teams he won with were still the best teams in baseball and they had good pitching. It was right before and during the beginning of the big boom in spending with FA's. I wouldn't say anyone could've managed them to win at least one of those titles, but many could. He did a great job and his stock rose to the top.

In recent years though, the blunders he has had with some of the teams and situations they have had makes me question him just a little. So like many stocks, it has to fall.

Losing to Boston is a perfect example. You don't lose a series when you're up 3-0. You just don't. Part of that is on the team but part of that is on him.

He routinely gets a team of allstars handed over to him now and fails to win. Their talent alone is enough to get them into the playoffs but something else has to be able to bring them to a title. Some of it is inside of the players who need to dig down or it and some of it falls on managing. I understand spending doesn't buy you a great "team" and in their case they seem to lack dominant pitching but I wouldn't go as far to say it's bad (minus Wright and Pavano...Who didnt se that one coming btw).

Anyways, if you can't get 200million+ in players to get up for the playoffs then you aren't doing your job. If those players are just assuming they will talk through their opponent because of previous success against a certain ace or dominated them for the season series, then you aren't doing your job.

It's those little things that I think an everyday manager would do. I think Torre used to do it but he is now just so laid back that I think it is part of the Yankees failures when it counts.

Maybe thats just my thinking but thats how I see it. I totally agree and didn't mean to lead everyone on to thinking he wasn;t a good manager. I think he is a great manager, just not the end all be all of coaching.

Edited by Chombi and the Fungi

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
Maybe thats just my thinking but thats how I see it. I totally agree and didn't mean to lead everyone on to thinking he wasn;t a good manager. I think he is a great manager, just not the end all be all of coaching.

On top of that, I might add...there are some teams that his style might work better with than others. Torre has always struck me as something of a laid back manager. Maybe not at the Manuel level, but he's certainly no fire-breather like Ozzie. When we were looking for managers in 03, the list came down to guys like Ozzie and Gaston, because the team felt it needed someone to kick the arse of these guys and put a little emotion into them. I still think that with the mix of guys we have, that's the right answer for out group; someone who kicks their tails every now and then.

Heck, even with the Yankees, it seems like each of the last 3 years we've heard a story around the middle of the season about how adding some new player to that team, like Abreu or Joba, has suddenly woken up all of those old stars who were starting to get so complacent and relaxed, and how it made that team look suddenly like they were playing much harder.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
On top of that, I might add...there are some teams that his style might work better with than others. Torre has always struck me as something of a laid back manager. Maybe not at the Manuel level, but he's certainly no fire-breather like Ozzie. When we were looking for managers in 03, the list came down to guys like Ozzie and Gaston, because the team felt it needed someone to kick the arse of these guys and put a little emotion into them. I still think that with the mix of guys we have, that's the right answer for out group; someone who kicks their tails every now and then.

Heck, even with the Yankees, it seems like each of the last 3 years we've heard a story around the middle of the season about how adding some new player to that team, like Abreu or Joba, has suddenly woken up all of those old stars who were starting to get so complacent and relaxed, and how it made that team look suddenly like they were playing much harder.

Gaston was as laid back as Manuel. KW liked him because he played for him. The Yankee managerial position is like no other in sports. The owner meddles, the fans are tough, and there is no media frenzy like in that position. Torre lasting 12 years says a lot about him. I think the new guy is going to have a hard time winning over some of the veterans initially.

Now that I live in NJ, my friends at home think I've become a New York type fan - because we have a horrible season and I want Ozzie to get the s*** can for it.

In New York, you have a case where you have a manager who gets his team to the playoffs for over a decade consistently, gets them several rings to boot. He gets handed a super high payroll of players who seem to break down with injuries constantly, and yet his teams find a way to make it to the postseason.

It seems that for the last 2/3 of the season, most of the time there was one big element missing from the Yankee game. The starting pitching was horrible, or the offense fell asleep, or the bullpen suddenly got shaky - and yet the Yanks found a way to win. That has to come, at least partially, from the manager.

I don't think Torre is overrated. I think he might be overpaid. And the rumor is, that a lot of the free agents that the Yankees will be dealing with this offseason, aren't terribly interested in a Torre-less New York team next year.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
Now that I live in NJ, my friends at home think I've become a New York type fan - because we have a horrible season and I want Ozzie to get the s*** can for it.

In New York, you have a case where you have a manager who gets his team to the playoffs for over a decade consistently, gets them several rings to boot. He gets handed a super high payroll of players who seem to break down with injuries constantly, and yet his teams find a way to make it to the postseason.

It seems that for the last 2/3 of the season, most of the time there was one big element missing from the Yankee game. The starting pitching was horrible, or the offense fell asleep, or the bullpen suddenly got shaky - and yet the Yanks found a way to win. That has to come, at least partially, from the manager.

I don't think Torre is overrated. I think he might be overpaid. And the rumor is, that a lot of the free agents that the Yankees will be dealing with this offseason, aren't terribly interested in a Torre-less New York team next year.

This isn't College ball. If the Yankees want you, and will throw their money at you, you're going to NY.