Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Just to focus on Wilson for a second. I would say he's an upgrade over Uribe. If he can be had in exchange for some non essential pieces, it's worth it. They have the money and the extra $1.5M in 2008 plus the 2009 guaranteed+buyout won't hamstring them.

Actually I think we match up better with what San Diego needs. Pittsburg is undoubtably going to want prospects.

The San Diego Union-Tribune had an article this week that says the Pads are looking to add two starting pitchers in the offseason, and that they're looking for a young CF... they're even eyeing Felix Pie of the Cubs. (And pitching-wise they're considering taking a flyer on Mark Prior.)

So why not offer a Contreras + Brian Anderson package to open discussions and see what happens?

Edited by scenario

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Pittsburg is just looking to 'dump' Wilson, I'd definitely like the Sox to pick him up. If it meant the Sox could dump the Contreras contract (and some cash) and say, Brian Anderson to Pitt for Wilson I'd definitely look into doing that. Wilson isn't very good, but he's a strong defender and he'll give us an okay .310ish OBP from the bottom of the order. And who knows, maybe some of last year's second half sticks and he's a 90 OPS+ hitter for the next couple seasons.

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
Actually I think we match up better with what San Diego needs. Pittsburg is undoubtably going to want prospects.

The San Diego Union-Tribune had an article this week that says the Pads are looking to add two starting pitchers in the offseason, and that they're looking for a young CF... they're even eyeing Felix Pie of the Cubs. (And pitching-wise they're considering taking a flyer on Mark Prior.)

So why not offer a Contreras + Brian Anderson package to open discussions and see what happens?

As far as I know, Kevin Towers is not brain damaged.

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)

Because you'll be shot down instantly, and Towers may not call back.

Contreras I think has value, but it's very, very low. Brian Anderson has absolutely no value at all other than as a throw-in, but could be a guy that atleast intrigues San Diego.

If the Pads are going to move Greene, I imagine they are looking to get great value for him, otherwise, they won't move him. I could it costing Garland, Aardsma, and Anderson, and I have no doubt all 3 would have good value for them.

This might be one of my favorite days as a White Sox fan (obviously other than THAT day). Juan Uribe is one of the worst baseball players I have ever laid my eyes on. Worst batter I can ever remember, and while his D was spectacular at some times, other times it just make me stop and stare in disbelief. Please K-dub, do the right thing, let him go!

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
Ahhh.... I see. Mark Prior is a much better option. Thanks.

It's really not that hard to understand. Your trade proposal is quite ridiculous. Yes, Towers is going to trade a cheap, well-above average SS for a pitcher nearing 40 who is already breaking down and mediocre and a CFer who's ceiling (if everything goes right) is as a slightly above league average CFer. Makes a whole lot of sense.

But if we're playing the "why not?" game, why not offer the Padres Contreras for Peavy. Afterall, why not? Maybe it'll go through on my MLB Power Pros game, though, I'll offer it up and come back to let you all know.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)
It's really not that hard to understand. Your trade proposal is quite ridiculous. Yes, Towers is going to trade a cheap, well-above average SS for a pitcher nearing 40 who is already breaking down and mediocre and a CFer who's ceiling (if everything goes right) is as a slightly above league average CFer. Makes a whole lot of sense.

But if we're playing the "why not?" game, why not offer the Padres Contreras for Peavy. Afterall, why not? Maybe it'll go through on my MLB Power Pros game, though, I'll offer it up and come back to let you all know.

I think we talked about this last week, but be prepared to want to scratch your cornea for the next few months with some of the ludicrous trade proposals thrown around.

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Ahhh.... I see. Mark Prior is a much better option. Thanks.

Let's see, is Prior guaranteed $20 million the next 2 years? For a kicker to take the starting SS for a playoff team, KW throws in a hurt AAA OF who the organization continues to bash about his attitude. Wow, what a deal.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
I don't think I could stand the "grinder" articles about Eckstein if he signs

O come on, man...just think about it...we could sign Eckstein and resign Erstad on the same day...have a joint press conference, Ozzie in the middle, his arms around them both, looking like the proudest father in the world...in the middle, Kenny's phone rings..."Hey everybody, Aaron was watching the press conference, and he just called to say he'll play here for the minimum if he has to!"...everyone'll have a good, tough cry of joy...then they'll all go out to the field together to practice bunting...and we'll erase the memories of 2007 with our rejuvenated, 75-win team...it's gonna be great...

I hate Eckstein. Went to college the last few years with Cardinal fans and I just hate that man. If he wears a Sox jersey ever, I will cry. He just reminds you of the talentless kid who was always trying to "Fake hustle" and suck up to coaches that you dealt with growing up.

Jack Wilson I would accept but not be happy with.

Furcal i'd like but he really needs to prove to me he can hit still.

I don't understand the fascination with Khalil Greene. Good fielder, his bat seems weak. I don't buy the splits entirely because it's not like the guy is an overwhelming power hitter and SD has huge gaps that a guy like him should have a field-day with. I'd take him over Uribe b/c to me, they can be the same player.

If you could acquire Wilson for next to nothing (or even offer them Uribe if they need a SS replacement), then yeah I'd look at that. If we gave up say a prospect though, the Pirates would probably have to pick up some of that contract.

As for Greene, he's been mentioned here before, but the Padres would also need a SS replacement obviously, so I don't see them trading him unless they get a real good offer.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
As for Greene, he's been mentioned here before, but the Padres would also need a SS replacement obviously, so I don't see them trading him unless they get a real good offer.

Khalil Greene would blow up at US Cellular. His defense is top notch and I don't think we could be so lucky as to pull in Greene.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
i dont think i could stand the ".300 hitter" articles about Eckstein if he signs.

How about having no speed? No power? Very little ability to walk? Bad range? A weaker throwing arm than some people on this board?

Sure, he gets quite a few singles, but he doesn't do anything else incredibly well, and on top of that he's been hurt for stretches of time the past 2 years.

But no, he's a .300 hitter, welcome to the team Savior Eckstein. :stick