OFFICIAL: Sox Sign Linebrink - 4 yrs, 19 mil

soxbearsbulls

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
What is nice about this is on past White Sox scales, this would have been THE move of the winter. Instead it's a small incremental one of about 5 or 6 that may happen. It's a blip past Uribe. I can't get too worked up either way. It's money and draft picks, too things I let the organization worry about. No players are leaving so hey, why not.

Good Point. But also, as another post was correct in saying that a bullpen is usually a toss up as to who has career years and who doesn't. Win or lose, you gotta take a chance with something. Bullpen help is hard to come by because most everyone needs it. Kw and Ozzie had utmost confidence in our bullpen at Spring Training time last year, and it eventually died at a quick pace. Win or lose, make or break...................he's got to take some new chances.

Remember...Guilleremo Mota was supposed to be a huge impact reliever and so far hasn't lived up to the hype,(People on this board were begging for him) and yet a little while back, Pappelbon comes out of no where and is now untouchable. Maybe my annalogy isn't very good, but the point is, you gotta take chances. Win or lose, KW has to start somewhere. We can only wait and see as time will tell.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
It is a crapshoot of sorts. Even the Angels released starting pitcher and head case Bobby Jenks.....

fixed that for you. ;) The Sox really took a chance there. Turned him into a relief pitcher than THE closer on a playoff team.

It is a crapshoot of sorts. Even the Angels released Bobby Jenks.....

Even if it is, what is KW supposed to do? Stand pat?

This is a good aggressive pickup for a pretty good veteran pitcher. I like it.

With that said ... what is our median age now? About 35? :lol:

Edited by SmashROT

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
Well, first Cabrera and now Linebrink. KW is showing his "big fish" that he means business. That big fish is Hunter. He probably already hinted this move to Hunter in their meeting. There will be moves after Hunter as well. That is why KW wants him to make up his mind before the winter meetings. This teams getting a well deserved make over. Nice surprise to me. I love off season with KW at the wheel.

I think Kenny's goal is to enter the winter meetings with his CFer here, his bullpen improved and shortstop solved. That will leave him the meetings to acquire a leadoff hitter and potentially get another reliever (plus trade Crede/Uribe). Than you will probably see things get quiet (unless of course he makes some massive move dealing Paulie) until January when he'll sign a couple vets for the bench (one will hopefully be a backup middle infiedler with the other being a right handed outfielder that can come off the bench and hit lefties very well (as well as ocassionally spell Thome as the DH against tough LHP's).

Jenks wasn't released because relieving itself is a "crapshoot" or whatever. Jenks was released for drugs, drinking, fighting and self-mutilation of sorts (setting his hand on fire certainly counts).

I'm glad he's clean, to the best of the public's knowledge, but the Angels knew what they had and we knew what we'd get when we got him: a young man with personal problems and a super arm. His problems seem to be gone now, though.

On the deal: I kind of shrug. We'll wait and see.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:39 PM)
with a team with as bad as a farm as we have, we need all the picks we can get.

And, Linebrink is going to be throwing a lot of homers in the cell, if he does indeed come here.

If the Sox wanted to they could get a 2nd round talent by going over slot money in the 5th or 10th round (not saying they would but the loss of a 2nd round draft pick isn't that major). If you are losing a top 20 pick maybe, but I could care less if they lose there 2nd and 3rd round picks (cause they'll lose something for Hunter or Rowand). They will have the top pick and will spend money there and hopefully they'll throw some of the money they don't spend in the 2nd or 3rd round at guys who slid in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds (or even later) or throw some extra cash at some international talent.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
Now, if the Sox sign Linebrink, then they sign Hunter, then the Brewers get the 2nd rounder and the Twins get the 3rd? Would doing this deal first change the pick the Twins would get? Do I understand this correctly?

I think it depends on who's rated higher by Elias, but I could be wrong on that.

the money is reasonable, and i actually thought linebrink was older than 31, i just think 4 years is too many....3 would have been better, especially since we dont give pitchers long term deals, but hes an improvement and hopefully will contribute...he actually did better in mil last year than i thought he would

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
Jenks wasn't released because relieving itself is a "crapshoot" or whatever. Jenks was released for drugs, drinking, fighting and self-mutilation of sorts (setting his hand on fire certainly counts).

I'm glad he's clean, to the best of the public's knowledge, but the Angels knew what they had and we knew what we'd get when we got him: a young man with personal problems and a super arm. His problems seem to be gone now, though.

Finding good relievers IS a crapshoot. Who knew Jenks would be as good as he is when KW took a flyer on him?

If it looked like a knock on Kenny, it wasn't. (Two misinterpretations on one post - gotta love that)

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
Finding good relievers IS a crapshoot. Who knew Jenks would be as good as he is when KW took a flyer on him?

If it looked like a knock on Kenny, it wasn't. (Two misinterpretations on one post - gotta love that)

It's not always a crapshoot. Sure, finding ones like Jenks are, but there are relievers who have always been effective. Linebrink is one of those guys.

I'm not a huge fan of Linebrink, but he will be someone we can count on to be effective. With that said, Vizcaino was overall effective for us, and a lot of people didn't care for Luis, so we shall see. It should definitely be an overpay, but at least we add an arm we have good idea of what we are going to get. We can't really say that about anyone else in the pen except Jenks.

I'm not a huge fan of Linebrink, but he will be someone we can count on to be effective. With that said, Vizcaino was overall effective for us, and a lot of people didn't care for Luis, so we shall see. It should definitely be an overpay, but at least we add an arm we have good idea of what we are going to get. We can't really say that about anyone else in the pen except Jenks.

My Brewer fan friends wound up calling him LineStink by the end of the season

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 06:28 AM)
Can't we just make ONE move that doesn't completely suck?

If only we did the right thing and went into rebuilding mode. Someone made a good point in another thread, but it's crazy to think we traded Garland for a major league player that is not a leadoff hitter.