Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
I hate living near Detroit now that the Tigers are good, and kickin' our arses.

Tigers - check

Lions - swept the Bears check

Red Wings - despite the 4-0 mark over the past 10 years an easy check

feel free to add the NBA if one desires (i dont)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Verlander

Willis

Rogers

Bonderman

Robertson

Only 1 guy on that list had an ERA under 4.4 last year, and that was Verlander. That supposedly dominant staff sure struggled one hell of a lot last year outside of Verlander.

And the White Sox will be relying on what? You really have to be crazy to think unless KW throws a ton of money into the White Sox right now, he can compete with them. I think Konerko is a better 1B than Guillen, but the Tigers have the edge at every other position if this deal goes down.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
And how exactly are you looking at what we are supposedly giving up and saying ....hell I will hedge my bets with that because thats what a championship is built around. I like Danks. I like Gio. But those 2 dont scream championship. If we can get this done, and not give up DLS. s*** its a steal. DLS >>>> Danks or Gio.

I am not saying the asking price is too much, in fact, I am saying the complete opposite in terms of talent alone(great deal for the Sox). However, you win championships with pitching and in most cases pitching that you develop. I am not saying that Danks or Gio are going to be future aces, but they project to be key members of the Sox rotation next year. The Sox currently have Danks, Gio, Broadway, Floyd, and Egbert fighting for 2 spots. Having 5 decent options will give the Sox a better chance of finding 1-2 guys that can be solid starters at the major league level(classic law of averages). Furthermore, it gives them options if the 1st or 2nd guy they pick doesn't pan out. By trading away 2-3 of these guys you are essentially putting all your eggs in one basket and saying that the 2 guys that are left after this trade are the #4 and #5 starters, and if they don't pan out than the Sox are out of luck and in for a long season(no matter how many runs they score).

Finally, you have to factor in the contract that Cabrera will likely get. If a 32 year old Hunter is worth 18M/yr, than how much is a 26 year old Cabrera going to be worth 2 years from now? 25M/yr? 30M/yr? Unless the Sox have the payroll of the Yankees or Red Sox, they can't afford to have 1/5th of their payroll tied up in one player. Texas proved that point after they signed ARod, who is probably a better all around player than Cabrera. Who many winning seasons did ARod produce in Texas, yet alone playoff teams?

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that fans are often blinded by the prospects of getting a great player, and they tend to throw logic by the wayside. If you are interested in watching a great player on a daily basis, than by all means encourage a trade for Cabrera that includes 2/5th of the Sox projected rotation. If you are interested in watching the Sox make another ran at a championship, than be happy that the Sox will likely not land Cabrera and hope that KW has a couple solid moves left in his pocket to address the remaining weaknesses(ala 2005).

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
Tigers - check

Lions - swept the Bears check

Red Wings - despite the 4-0 mark over the past 10 years an easy check

feel free to add the NBA if one desires (i dont)

:angry: ....... :crying

I cant wait to move away

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
This is so disheartening. Unless half of the Tigers show up in the Mitchell report, I feel like we have already lost. We can no longer be buyers, no way. And hell, it will hard to even be sellers. The Tigers not only have talent, they have young talent.

There's a great chance that some of their superstars will show up on that list.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
Can someone link me to where ESPN says the deal is done?

the deal won't be finalized until tonight, so that's impossible

it's on mlb.com's homepage though

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Marlins and Tigers are on the verge of completing a blockbuster deal that will send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for a package of six players.

A source familiar with the negotiations has told MLB.com that the Tigers are parting with outfielder Cameron Maybin and lefty starter Andrew Miller and four prospects for the final two players from the Marlins' 2003 World Series championship squad.

The deal was all but finalized as of late afternoon at the Winter Meetings.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
And the White Sox will be relying on what? You really have to be crazy to think unless KW throws a ton of money into the White Sox right now, he can compete with them. I think Konerko is a better 1B than Guillen, but the Tigers have the edge at every other position if this deal goes down.

Orlando Cabrera is better than Renteria. But you are right otherwise.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
KW has now got played by Hunter and the Marlins he must like the feeling of getting used! :angry:

We have no idea what really went on there. I'm not upset about this at all....the Tigers basically gave up the farm. Kudos to them.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I like this deal. But what happened to the mantra of pitching and defense? Looks like you guys will be in for some long nights at US Cellular. Would they consider Cabrera for left? Didn't he used to play there?

I totally agree. People keep saying Cabrera is a "legitimate star." So were Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez, and the Sox won the WS the year after dumping both of them. Pitching and defense always wins. This will be great for the box office, but in the long term not so great for winning another title. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Oops, just saw the other replies about Detroit making this deal instead. Nevermind. :-) But I actually think it's better for the Sox in the long run to not make this deal. But for Detroit I think it's fine, because they bring back Willis and already had enough starting pitching. We did not.

Edited by FlaCWS

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
the deal won't be finalized until tonight, so that's impossible

it's on mlb.com's homepage though

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

Yeah, I saw that one.

I guess I just don't buy this rumor anymore than the other. Mlb.com is reputable, but if the deal was all but finalized this afternoon, why would they plant an article about the White Sox at 5 pm? It doesn't add up...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Verlander

Willis

Rogers

Bonderman

Robertson

Only 1 guy on that list had an ERA under 4.4 last year, and that was Verlander. That supposedly dominant staff sure struggled one hell of a lot last year outside of Verlander.

Score 8 runs a game a ok rotation will do!

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
I totally agree. People keep saying Cabrera is a "legitimate star." So were Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez, and the Sox won the WS the year after dumping both of them. Pitching and defense always wins. This will be great for the box office, but in the long term not so great for winning another title. Just my opinion.

It could well be great for them winning another title.

But it's certainly no guarantee like so many people here seem to think it is.

Why is it that if the White Sox acquired D-Train for 1/2 of its farm system, we'd have people whining about how KW acquired a pitcher near FA who put up a >5 ERA last year in the weak NL, but this Tigers team is going to dominate with him!!!

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
We have no idea what really went on there. I'm not upset about this at all....the Tigers basically gave up the farm. Kudos to them.

I give them major props to have the balls to do this trade, even though it is for a HOF player, its still gutsy to trade so much young talent.

I just wish the SOx will ditch this ridiculous draft slot crap, and go get the best player available in the draft and rebuild for the future.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)

Come on Guillen comes out kissing his ass today, KW thought he had a real shot to get Cabrera.