Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:42 AM)
If the money were the same -- which I think it could be -- I'd much rather have Andruw Jones over Rowand.

You honestly think Bora$$ is going to take the same amount of money for Jones as Rowand will get?

Honestly, I want neither (unless the price was well right, which it won't be). This team needs more than a damn CF to compete with Detroit, Cleve, Boston, LAA, NY, etc...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
What would you rather see them do? Not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just curious. What is your preference of those players available for CF at this point?

Aaron Rowand is a solid player and I like him, but I'd rather see us throw those millions anywhere else.

I'd rather see us deal for Bedard and extend him with some of that money (I know it absolutely won't happen).

I'd rather see us go that route and throw mega bucks that way. I understand that would be that much more costly with having to deal a Danks/Gio and others to get a guy like that- but I'd rather throw mega dollars a guy like that rather than Rowand.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
This sounds like the White Sox are just trying to make a splash now, and what better way than to bring back Rowand.

that sounds about right. at the least rowand is an upgrade over the current situation and he's a popular guy. at the same time, i can't say it's really sensible financially and i don't think it moves us out of third place in the division.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
that sounds about right. at the least rowand is an upgrade over the current situation and he's a popular guy. at the same time, i can't say it's really sensible financially and i don't think it moves us out of third place in the division.

Andruw Jones doesn't move us out of third place either. But in this 'go for it now' mode, the idea of building around youth isn't an option. I like rowand, like him a lot, but it's only fun watching him if we're competing for the division, which we won't next year (barring unforeseen major changes at numerous positions).

Another type A free agent. So we get a first round draft pick, then we start off at the 4th round. Thats what smart teams do, they limit their draft picks to restock the talent pool in their minor leagues. The same type of talent, that teams have been using to acquire talent. Rowand on this team is nice, and by himself sure. We just signed a type A free agent setup guy. So once again, we wont be replenishing the worst minor league system in baseball this up coming year. We wont pay overslot. So we will get Jordan Danks the grindermaster in the overdraft because he is cheap.

55 million dollars for Rowand. Wait till he hits .270 and cant hit the slider again. I am glad we are just blowing our load because of perception. Just blow this thing up and start over. Rowand isnt a difference maker and we are not competing against the Tigers and Indians this year.

Unf***ingbelievable.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)

Well I hate to say this but if this team think Rowand will put people in the seats, they will make a deal. Right now they have to be thinking it's going to be tough to get people in the stadium with this team in this division.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
Aaron Rowand is a solid player and I like him, but I'd rather see us throw those millions anywhere else.

I'd rather see us deal for Bedard and extend him with some of that money (I know it absolutely won't happen).

I'd rather see us go that route and throw mega bucks that way. I understand that would be that much more costly with having to deal a Danks/Gio and others to get a guy like that- but I'd rather throw mega dollars a guy like that rather than Rowand.

I'd like to trade for Bedard, too, but we don't have anyone they'd want. ARow back? Why not? Exciting? No.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Another type A free agent. So we get a first round draft pick, then we start off at the 4th round. Thats what smart teams do, they limit their draft picks to restock the talent pool in their minor leagues. The same type of talent, that teams have been using to acquire talent. Rowand on this team is nice, and by himself sure. We just signed a type A free agent setup guy. So once again, we wont be replenishing the worst minor league system in baseball this up coming year. We wont pay overslot. So we will get Jordan Danks the grindermaster in the overdraft because he is cheap.

55 million dollars for Rowand. Wait till he hits .270 and cant hit the slider again. I am glad we are just blowing our load because of perception. Just blow this thing up and start over. Rowand isnt a difference maker and we are not competing against the Tigers and Indians this year.

Unf***ingbelievable.

first of all we havent signed him yet....

second its not always the quantity of picks, as it is the quality...the fact that we dont have a second and third pick might make us go for the top talent....detroit only had maybin and miller (and porcello) because of signability reasons and they fell to 10, 6, and 27 respectively....as long as KW makes up for it by getting the best available player in the first round, and then goes after a potential signability guy (like the cubs did with samardjza a couple years ago) in the 4th or so id be fine with it....

ideally we would draft like i said above and then have a 2nd and 3rd pick as well, but if we save the money from the second and third round picks signing bonus, to get a player who may fall due to signability reasons (say a pedro alvaraz or a justin smoak) id be fine with it

First of all, there is no way that Andruw Jones takes this kind of money. Plus at this point what are the advantages of Jones over Rowand? This may end up looking like a panic move, but it's a move a lot of fans, myself included, have wanted from the beginning. As it stands, the offseason looks decent. We have an actual shortstop and setup-man. I've been following Quentin for some time and he looks like the real deal. We got beat on two deals by teams that vastly overpaid. Even Hunter said the Angels overpaid.

Blowing up the team at this point would not bring in much. Remember what we got for Iguchi? Are we prepared to get that for most of the team, bar a few like Mark and Jenks? I'm not.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
This sounds like the White Sox are just trying to make a splash now, and what better way than to bring back Rowand.

Get Eric Bedard. I'm so fed up with KW getting fleeced in deals, hate to bring up stuff that happened way too long ago, but Rowand never should have left this team in the first place. The Philies had no friggen room for Thome, guy should have been had for 2 or 3 prospects. Every other GM in baseball can make these deal, which is why KSmug needs to go away. Renteria got traded for prospects, and we give up Garland for OCab, guy overpaid simple as that. Detroit has shown me how a decent baseball organization should be run. As Sox fans, to expect any less than what a team in DETROIT f'ing Michigan can do from our baseball club is ludicrous.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
I'd like to trade for Bedard, too, but we don't have anyone they'd want. ARow back? Why not? Exciting? No.

I understand that it's totally unrealistic, but KW talked about being realistic. Rowand worth 55 mil over 4 years? That doesn't sound like being realistic to me.

Hopefully KW just keeps his cool about losing his top two targets and realizes he can still have a quality off-season. I believe he will and not lose his mind and give in to what Rowand wants.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Well I hate to say this but if this team think Rowand will put people in the seats, they will make a deal. Right now they have to be thinking it's going to be tough to get people in the stadium with this team in this division.

i agree. bringing rowand back attracts the casual fan who thinks, "rowand? awesome. we're getting the band back together!"

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
first of all we havent signed him yet....

second its not always the quantity of picks, as it is the quality...the fact that we dont have a second and third pick might make us go for the top talent....detroit only had maybin and miller (and porcello) because of signability reasons and they fell to 10, 6, and 27 respectively....as long as KW makes up for it by getting the best available player in the first round, and then goes after a potential signability guy (like the cubs did with samardjza a couple years ago) in the 4th or so id be fine with it....

ideally we would draft like i said above and then have a 2nd and 3rd pick as well, but if we save the money from the second and third round picks signing bonus, to get a player who may fall due to signability reasons (say a pedro alvaraz or a justin smoak) id be fine with it

I agree with your assessment. In a perfect world, the team takes the money they would of used on a 2nd and 3rd round draft and use it to pay overslot. But I dont see the sox going over slot. Our owner has too good of a relationship with Selig to bypass the slot allocation. Porcello fell into our laps last year, and we passed due to financials. I dont have enough faith in Williams and the sox scouts that they will draft the best available talent. What if that talent is represented by Boras. I think they will get someone decent, but somewhat of an overdraft. I believe that Danks is Kenny's target.