2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
I see that the Rays picked up Chad Bradford. He's having a pretty good year so I'm wondering why we couldn't pick him up, especially since our pitching has been atrocious as of late.

He is owed the pro rated portion of a 3.5 million dollar contract this year (so probably a little over a million dollars) as well as 3.5 million more next year. Plus, I think he might get a 500k bonus for being traded. That's an awful lot of money for a 33 year old ROOGY with a fast fading strikeout rate the last few years.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Brian Giles doesn't want to win. He blocked a waiver deal to Boston today.

Or he doesn't want to leave his home in San Diego, which is a situation he's comfortable in.

And he hates Boston, which is perfectly cool by me.

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
The Yankees are having one of those bullpen-meltdown innings, after being tied 3-3, they so far gave up 8 runs in the bottom of 8th inning, Angels still batting.

I'm so happy Minnesota has to go to LAA for 4, TB for 4, and OAK for 4 before the year is over.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
Consider how historically cheap Milwuakee has been, Eric Gagne has to be one of the worst free agent signings of all time. $10 million for a single year.

They can't afford to truck him out there in a pennant race.

As big as homefield advantage is in the regular season, I still think it's going to be a bit overrated come playoff time. All the games are magnified, you get a ton of rest, the teams are essentially traveling together; the advantages are not nearly as clear. Sure, your team is built for your ballpark, and the fans are on your side (which doesn't seem to make a ton of difference) but you are just as (tired/rested) as your opponent and every team in the playoffs is a good team, or so it would appear. I don't think, come playoff time, home or road games are going to be that big of a difference. It's simply going to be matchups that decide who wins.

Mets bullpen blows yet another one...Pedro left winning 5-1 in the sixth, bullpen gives up 3 in the 7th, 3 in the 9th to the pirates...wagner was struggling a bit before he went on the DL, but without him they have been so bad...they should probably have a nice cushion in that division if they could close a game out...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
As big as homefield advantage is in the regular season, I still think it's going to be a bit overrated come playoff time. All the games are magnified, you get a ton of rest, the teams are essentially traveling together; the advantages are not nearly as clear. Sure, your team is built for your ballpark, and the fans are on your side (which doesn't seem to make a ton of difference) but you are just as (tired/rested) as your opponent and every team in the playoffs is a good team, or so it would appear. I don't think, come playoff time, home or road games are going to be that big of a difference. It's simply going to be matchups that decide who wins.

You miss the biggest part of home field advantage. The guaranteed opportunity to win the game while your opponent has no such ability.

Edited by Jenks Heat