2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Congrats to the Brewers. Really glad to see them not choke again this year.

The Ryan Braun home run in the 8th was as great a case of theatre as you'll ever see in the regular season. 26 years is far too long to wait to go to the playoffs, the Hebrew Hammer wasn't even born the last time they made the playoffs and he was the man that hit the homer to put them in today. I'm glad they made it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
The Ryan Braun home run in the 8th was as great a case of theatre as you'll ever see in the regular season. 26 years is far too long to wait to go to the playoffs, the Hebrew Hammer wasn't even born the last time they made the playoffs and he was the man that hit the homer to put them in today. I'm glad they made it.

That game was awesome with the Braun homer and CC pumped after the CG. I love how they had the Mets game on the jumbotron with the players and fans watching.

• 2 weeks later...

The North County Times reports that the Padres have made Jake Peavy available in trades.

Peavy is just 10 months removed from signing a four-year, $52 million contract extension, but a 99-loss season can make a team do funny things. "This was a different year than last year," general manager Kevin Towers said. "You're arguably talking about moving one of the top pitchers in the game. But it's not a 100-percent given. Nothing is imminent." It'll be interesting to see what type of market there is for Peavy given that CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Ben Sheets are all free agents.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
The North County Times reports that the Padres have made Jake Peavy available in trades.

Peavy is just 10 months removed from signing a four-year, $52 million contract extension, but a 99-loss season can make a team do funny things. "This was a different year than last year," general manager Kevin Towers said. "You're arguably talking about moving one of the top pitchers in the game. But it's not a 100-percent given. Nothing is imminent." It'll be interesting to see what type of market there is for Peavy given that CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Ben Sheets are all free agents.

I imagine the market would be high. All three of those FAs are likely to sign for more money than 13 million a year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
Peavy should command a whole hell of a lot. He's in his prime and signed to a well below market value contract. San Diego papers are saying it'll take 4 upper echelon major league ready type of prospects.

Yeah that's why I have a hard time believing Peavy will go anywhere for a couple of years. The Padres would be foolish to trade him, IMO, a young guy who is an Ace, signed to a great contract. Why would you take that away? Prospects are prospects, here you have an ACE at only 27 years old. You should be building around him not trying to trade him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
Peavy should command a whole hell of a lot. He's in his prime and signed to a well below market value contract. San Diego papers are saying it'll take 4 upper echelon major league ready type of prospects.

Injury has to be a concern for anyone courting Peavy. I would want every test done on his elbow before I completed a deal.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Yeah that's why I have a hard time believing Peavy will go anywhere for a couple of years. The Padres would be foolish to trade him, IMO, a young guy who is an Ace, signed to a great contract. Why would you take that away? Prospects are prospects, here you have an ACE at only 27 years old. You should be building around him not trying to trade him.

I think it has more to do with the team being so far away from being competitive. They have a poor farm system and are really just in a mess. Moving Peavy is probably the quickest way to help the rebuilding process and I wouldn't be shocked to see Adrian Gonzalez moved as well (even though he is a young player as well).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)

The only thing "well below market value" about Jake Peavy's contract is the years (3), he's the 3rd highest paid pitcher in the history of the game in terms of average annual value of a multi-year deal at $17.333M. Count his $11M '09 team option and he's being paid $15.75M over the next 4 years which drops him to the 4th highest paid ever.

The only thing "well below market value" about Jake Peavy's contract is the years (3), he's the 3rd highest paid pitcher in the history of the game in terms of average annual value of a multi-year deal at $17.333M. Count his $11M '09 team option and he's being paid $15.75M over the next 4 years which drops him to the 4th highest paid ever.

I was going to do the research, but you hit it right on the head. I'll also say he's only worth that if he's pitching half his games at PetCo.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I was going to do the research, but you hit it right on the head. I'll also say he's only worth that if he's pitching half his games at PetCo.

since 2004 on the road

427 IP, 3.31 ERA

not nearly as bad as some might think, though certainly a bit overrated