2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The majority of players perform better at home than on the road no matter the stadium. Buehrle (for his whole career), Vazquez (while on the Sox), Floyd, and Contreras were all better at hitter friendly US Cellular Field than on the road. Danks was the only one better on the road. In the case of Peavy, sure Petco helps a little, but to shrug him off because he pitches in Petco is ridiculous. When healthy, he's one of the best, and would dominate in US Cellular Field as well.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
Ugh, a rotation of Zambrano, Peavy, Harden, Dempster and Lilly would be one of the best in the NL this decade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8761340...62&ATT=3498

For the 2 weeks it was healthy, maybe yeah.

What in the world do the Cubs have that would actually interest the Padres?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)
For the 2 weeks it was healthy, maybe yeah.

What in the world do the Cubs have that would actually interest the Padres?

Supposedly Towers has a hard-on for Felix Pie and Sean Marshall. If I'm the Padres, I don't do this trade unless Marmol or Soto is included. Hopefully this is just planted in order to get the Braves to push harder to make it happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
Supposedly Towers has a hard-on for Felix Pie and Sean Marshall. If I'm the Padres, I don't do this trade unless Marmol or Soto is included. Hopefully this is just planted in order to get the Braves to push harder to make it happen.

Pie, Marshall, and one of the other 2, maybe I go for it then. I'd want no piece of Soto if I were them though. Just too many whispers already.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 04:49 AM)
Did it feel good taking about a month off to not worry about the Cubs, or did you feel like something was missing in your life?

It was absolutely fantastic, and even this, I'm not too worried. It's just ironic they seem linked to top-notch players, while every name we see associated with the Sox is a terrible player (Lugo, Castillo, Taveras). Hopefully this means KW is accomplishing his goal of working under the radar.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
If I were the Padres I wouldn’t accept anything less than Vitters, Veal, Ceda, Pie and Marshall

i wouldnt take that. i dont see how pie can even have any more value than ba at this point. as bad as ba has been offensively, pie has been way worse lol and marshall, i dont think he'll be anything great, maybe if anything a 4. if im the padres, i want atleast one stud prospect or young player along with the minor leaguers. and none of those are that. the cubs can dream lol and sigining demp for 4 years is gunna be a mistake

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Ugh, a rotation of Zambrano, Peavy, Harden, Dempster and Lilly would be one of the best in the NL this decade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8761340...62&ATT=3498

"Dempster, after succeeding under pressure in Chicago"

not in the last game he pitched Lol

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
Sounds like Cubs are going to get Peavy this weekend for a package of the ugly Notre Dame guy, Marshall, Pie, and Cedeno. To get one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball (signed long term) for no major pieces in your organization would be a steal.

That ugly Notre Dame guy has no reason to waive his no trade clause, no reason at all. I'm sure he would if asked to but I don't understand why.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
That ugly Notre Dame guy has no reason to waive his no trade clause, no reason at all. I'm sure he would if asked to but I don't understand why.

He'll waive it to be in the Padres starting rotation, as there would likely be no spot for him in the Cubs rotation this upcoming season.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
Levine has them or Atlanta getting Peavy.

That payroll is going to be $200M in no time and as you see with the other teams that are trying to win with huge payrolls it doesn't necessarily work.

Really sad that St.Louis and Houston have nothing to offer.

St. Louis actually has Ludwick to offer if the Padres think his season last year wasn't a fluke. The Cards have a kid coming up behind him that they want to work in, and that makes one of their OF's expendable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Sounds like Cubs are going to get Peavy this weekend for a package of the ugly Notre Dame guy, Marshall, Pie, and Cedeno. To get one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball (signed long term) for no major pieces in your organization would be a steal.

Just an awful package. If I am the Pads, im asking for no less than Giovany Soto as my centerpiece. Pie, Cedeno and Marshall cant even get playing time for the cubs. Samajdjijajia came up, was good for a bit, then showed who he really was. I dont think that kid will be much more than a decent set up guy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
Just an awful package. If I am the Pads, im asking for no less than Giovany Soto as my centerpiece. Pie, Cedeno and Marshall cant even get playing time for the cubs. Samajdjijajia came up, was good for a bit, then showed who he really was. I dont think that kid will be much more than a decent set up guy.

A few days ago someone challenged me when I pointed out that getting a ton of press coverage for a prospect, i.e. someone coming from Boston or NY, could be an excellent way to make another team think he has higher value.

I will hold this as a prime example if that deal happens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
A few days ago someone challenged me when I pointed out that getting a ton of press coverage for a prospect, i.e. someone coming from Boston or NY, could be an excellent way to make another team think he has higher value.

I will hold this as a prime example if that deal happens.

Honestly, I like the package that the A's got over some of the ones Ive heard from the Trib. Sean Gallagher is a better spect than Pie, Cedeno, Samaardjissa, and Marshall.