2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everytime Tolbert bats for Minn, I think back to Major League.

"Is that you Tolbert? This isn't very funny ya know, I'm hungover! And if you were gonna pull this s*** you could at least said you're from the Yankees."

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
I say right now there is about a 40% chance he is with the Sox next season.

under contract w/ them for next year, no?

Also, amazing that Paulie has rebounded and kept himself off this list http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=3592846

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I'd put it at 50% and I'd have absolutely no problem with it.

Is there any hope of Contreras being available in the 2nd half or is that a 2 year injury he suffered?

I'd rather not pin all of our 5th starter hopes on a combination of Richard/Broadway/Garcia, but if we only had to get through a couple months of that then It'd be a better bet.

I could very easily see Broadway in a different uniform next year, somewhere in the NL.

I also should clarify my statement and basically suggest that I'd love for Freddy to be back but that I wouldn't count on him. He'd want a little more assurance than that, so he would be given a legitimate chance at winning a spot in the rotation, but if the money is good enough and KW doesn't go ahead and bring in another pitcher, I'd be all for it. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if KW went out and got another young starting pitcher who is about a year away but can step in, ala Danks or Floyd from 07, in case Garcia (or whoever) went down. Perhaps that could be Richard, but I ultimately see him ending up in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
I don't think you can go into the season with Clayton/Broadway at 5. There is a decent chance one of Floyd/Danks regress, and you have to be prepared for that. Clayton and Broadway provide decent depth, but they need more stability.

I do agree with you on that and I hope that KW adds another veteran either via FA or trade.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Jeter got hit square on the hand in the 9th inning and had to leave the game when it was 0-0. May not play tomorrow, obviously the last game at Yankee Stadium...if you haven't heard.

Meh. You can't overstate the importance of Yankee Stadium in the history of baseball and sports for that matter. The greatest franchise in the history of North American sports has won all of it's record 26 championships on those grounds. More hall of famers have called it home than any other stadium in any other sport. It's had more historical moments than any other stadium in any other sport. I don't like the Yankees at all, but the significance of the closing of that stadium can't be overrated.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
It's going to be sad to see Yankee Stadium gone. Love them or hate them, there's going to be an empty feeling when seeing the Yankees play in a new stadium.

It's a place every baseball fan, as well as really every sports fan, should go to. It's a shame that not everybody had the chance to visit there, and I feel fortunate I did. I will never like the Yankees, but I gained a full appreciation of their history and everything that happened at Yankee Stadium when I visited, and I think anybody else who has been there would agree with me.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
It's a place every baseball fan, as well as really every sports fan, should go to. It's a shame that not everybody had the chance to visit there, and I feel fortunate I did. I will never like the Yankees, but I gained a full appreciation of their history and everything that happened at Yankee Stadium when I visited, and I think anybody else who has been there would agree with me.

I was supposed to go this year but my friends backed out once they saw some of the ticket prices. I regret not going by myself and when I'm older, I'm sure I'll regret it even more.

Do you know when they are demolishing it? I know they still have a hockey game there.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
I was supposed to go this year but my friends backed out once they saw some of the ticket prices. I regret not going by myself and when I'm older, I'm sure I'll regret it even more.

Do you know when they are demolishing it? I know they still have a hockey game there.

It is being demolished sometime in 2009 after opening day at the new place in order to be made into parking.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I was surprised there was no Final Game thread or Yankee Stadium memories thread. Might not be too late if there are many people online tonight.

I went to Yankee Stadium once, for Don Mattingly Day on Aug 31, 1997. It was a whirlwind trip.

I worked the Barons game on Saturday night and bailed shortly after the game was over so I could try and get some sleep. I got home around 10:30 and tried to go right to sleep. There was a busted pipe at the stadium so I got a call not long after and had to deal with that. I finally got to bed and had to be on a plane in Birmingham headed to Atlanta at 5:30am Sunday morning. I got to Atlanta and eventually got into LaGuardia at about 10:30. I had a friend pick me up and drop me off at Yankee Stadium to meet a different group of friends, including my best friend that didn't know I was joining them.

The ceremony and energy in the ballpark was amazing. I have never seen people yell with such passion, yelling Dawn-ie BaseBawl over and over again. Having watching Mattingly play since he was 17 and a junior in HS (I later went to the same HS) and having delivered newspapers to him during the offseason while he was in the minors, it was a special day for me. After the game, we went to Mickey Mantle's for dinner, took a carriage ride around central park, had drinks in Times Square and went to bed. Got back up and was on a plane back home at 7:30 the next morning and was back at my desk by noon for the Barons final game of the season.

Good memories!

I'll miss it, a lot. The Yankees and Red Sox get all the attention in the world. They are the same beast, yet I can't stand Boston, but other than whatever team 35 is on at the time, the Yanks are my choice in the AL. It's weird, I often prefer the underdog which was Boston's role until that wretched year 2004, but there's something about the Yanks I dig even though they have more than enough titles. Thanks in part to ESPN I've only seen more games at The Cell and Wrigley than The Stadium. I felt bad that Posada didn't get to close the joint out along with the others from the most recent dynasty, and felt bad that The Voice had to miss this whole season. It's a damn shame that they didn't make the playoffs this year. At least the All Star Game was played at Yankee Stadium... I'd love to have seen The Stadium in person but I'm not upset that I didn't for some reason. I've only seen it on tv and thats where my memories came from. On the same token I'd actually be pissed if I couldn't watch the game tonight on tv. I'll miss the place and I'm glad to hear that the new Yankee Stadium is said to look a lot like the former. Also glad they're sticking with "Yankee Stadium" and not "Bank of America Ballpark", or "Sprint Stadium".