Thome not going anywhere after this year

palehose23

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
why couldn't you have just put this in the catch-all thread? Just a completely random bump

Check the 1st day I posted this- I was just updating it.

Why couldn't you just look at the first page?

Its not random- Thome was out and people were talking about the future without him and I am just getting them prepared for 1 more year with him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (palehose23 @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
Thome was out and people were talking about the future without him and I am just getting them prepared for 1 more year with him.

I'm pretty sure that people are already aware that if Thome reaches the at-bats clause in his contract this season, that his option for next year is activated.

I'm glad this got bumped, personally. I wasnt aware about it, and it will be pretty important if we're not in contention later on, or if he misses time due to injury and then cuts it close at-bat wise later in the year.

there are a couple scenarios and reasons for why this is notable.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (palehose23 @ May 11, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Check the 1st day I posted this- I was just updating it.

Why couldn't you just look at the first page?

Its not random- Thome was out and people were talking about the future without him and I am just getting them prepared for 1 more year with him.

This is the first page (for me), and it is random. So there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
This is the first page (for me), and it is random. So there.
Thome might not have Seattle on his approved teams but they are in dire need of a DH. We are in dire need of a catcher we currently have none unless Lucy can come back from a dislocated knee cap.. Timing wouldn't be better for us to try and trade Thome for Clement.. Besides Johima the Mariners have a very capable catcher by the name of Burke so they could afford to trade Clement. Clement is a good defensive catcher is patient at the plate and hyas a terrific upside. We on the other have many hitters that could step in to replace Thome......Oh we could also throw in Hall, and pablo.

QUOTE (forrestg @ May 11, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Thome might not have Seattle on his approved teams but they are in dire need of a DH. We are in dire need of a catcher we currently have none unless Lucy can come back from a dislocated knee cap.. Timing wouldn't be better for us to try and trade Thome for Clement.. Besides Johima the Mariners have a very capable catcher by the name of Burke so they could afford to trade Clement. Clement is a good defensive catcher is patient at the plate and hyas a terrific upside. We on the other have many hitters that could step in to replace Thome......Oh we could also throw in Hall, and pablo.

The Sox are not in dire need of a catcher. AJP isn't the greatest in the world, but he's fine, and Hall has actually proven to be a capable backup this season.

I'd also like to think that the Mariners wouldn't trade Cleveland for a year and a half of Thome, but I can't be certain of something like that. Bavasi isn't exactly bright.

Trading Thome is also a terrible idea if the Sox want any hope of competing this year. He will be the biggest reason the Sox do anything against RHP this season.

Dye would make more sense for the Mariners than Thome would. It would allow them to be more patient with Balentein and allow Ibanez days to DH as well. Clement is blocked at every spot unless they would find a way to DH Sexson and get Clement at 1B.

The problem with a deal with Seattle is that if you traded them a DH you would probably have to take Vidro back.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 11, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
:huh:

Yeah, that was kind of a weird sentence, but I think he meant catching prospect. Lucy was the only one considered close to being that, and he dislocated his knee cap last week and will be out for some time. He was probably going to take Hall's slot in 2009, until this happened.

Sorry palehose23, you have fallen victim to something known as RSB (Random Soxtalk b****ing).

Sometimes, when you post useful information, someone will have their panties in a bunch and ask you why you posted something so stupid. When that person does this, it's best to ignore them and wait for those who find the information useful to log on.

Thanks for reminding me that we'll be stuck with Thome for another year after this one.

Just want to say it again, but I would trade Thome straight up for a solid young infielder or outfielder. I've even gotten past practically giving him up for nothing. His approach is bloody terrible. He hits his homer runs when it doesn't matter and does nothing but try to pull the ball no matter what.

Yesterday's game was just another example of what little he does to help a team "win". I know he gets stats and he probably will have similar stats to last year by seasons end, but he is not a "winner". I have to give Swish a bit more time, but he may fall in that boat as well (although I believe he has a bit better approach at the plate and I'm going to give him more time because he's younger and brings a tremendous attitude.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
The Sox are not in dire need of a catcher. AJP isn't the greatest in the world, but he's fine, and Hall has actually proven to be a capable backup this season.

I'd also like to think that the Mariners wouldn't trade Cleveland for a year and a half of Thome, but I can't be certain of something like that. Bavasi isn't exactly bright.

Trading Thome is also a terrible idea if the Sox want any hope of competing this year. He will be the biggest reason the Sox do anything against RHP this season.

Trading Thome would be the best thing the Sox could do. Don't tell me his amazing stats, tell me what he does to win. Tell me what he does when the games are on the line. Tell me how he will go with an outside pitch when he has a huge f***ing hole due to the Thome shift (and there are runners on base and the club is in dire need of a run). Oh wait, he doesn't do any of those f***ing things.

He hits home-runs when the team is already up big or in a big hole. He is all or nothing and the Sox have enough power bats in the lineup that they should move Thome. At least Crede will shorten up his swing, Paulie attempts to (and yes I'd be willing to move Paulie too), AJ usually tries (sometimes he's awful at it), Swisher has been terrible (he's been as feable if not more than Thome, but I'll give him a chance to prove that this is an exception to the rule, Thome has shown me over a few years that what I see of him now is pretty much exactly what he is). Hell, I'd rather have Uribe up with runners on 2nd and 3rd than Thome because at least Uribe will do what he needs to get a sac fly or get a run in.

Thome will just swing really really hard 3 times and if he gets a pitch over the middle hit it a mile, but as long as they jam him in or go over the outer half of the plate he'll go down very easily (typically swinging or via a groundout).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Just want to say it again, but I would trade Thome straight up for a solid young infielder or outfielder. I've even gotten past practically giving him up for nothing. His approach is bloody terrible. He hits his homer runs when it doesn't matter and does nothing but try to pull the ball no matter what.

Yesterday's game was just another example of what little he does to help a team "win". I know he gets stats and he probably will have similar stats to last year by seasons end, but he is not a "winner". I have to give Swish a bit more time, but he may fall in that boat as well (although I believe he has a bit better approach at the plate and I'm going to give him more time because he's younger and brings a tremendous attitude.

I didn't see yesterday's game, but I've watched or been at a few in the last few weeks. And I see Thome actually changing his approach. Not every at bat of course, but some of the time. He's hit a number of line drive base hits to left and center in recent games.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
Just want to say it again, but I would trade Thome straight up for a solid young infielder or outfielder.

We don't need any more outfielders.

Not sure that I feel as strongly as you, but I'd like to see either Thome or Dye dealt this winter as well. Both are past their primes, Thome can't do anything other than DH, and Dye can barely play RF. The Sox need to move one of these dinosaurs before Opening Day of next year.

Edited by WCSox

You can clearly see the age in Thome's swing. His power zone used to be to left center and he used to lace deadly liners to left field, now he's pretty much a pull hitter and is overpowered by some fastballs. I wouldnt mind shopping him at all. I actually liked the lineup better when he wasnt in it.

I would also be shopping Dotel to the Brew Crew as a closer right now to see if we can snag a better 2B.

You don't trade a slugger like Jim Thome for a back up catcher. You can get a back up catcher for much less. It is suggestions like these that makes me glad we aren't the GM's. Hopeful this was just to generate discussion.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
You don't trade a slugger like Jim Thome for a back up catcher.

You're right. You trade Thome to dump his salary and to allow Dye to move to DH. The back-up catcher is icing on the cake.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
You can clearly see the age in Thome's swing. His power zone used to be to left center and he used to lace deadly liners to left field, now he's pretty much a pull hitter and is overpowered by some fastballs. I wouldnt mind shopping him at all. I actually liked the lineup better when he wasnt in it.

I would also be shopping Dotel to the Brew Crew as a closer right now to see if we can snag a better 2B.

I agree with you about Thome. He's also awful against lefties. Maybe Ozzie will figure it out and won't play him against any lefty...ever.

Against lefties, having Anderson over Thome in the lineup actually makes it better as it adds an element of some speed. Tha and Anderson can hit lefties better.

And having Anderson in CF makes the defense that much better (yes I think BA would have caught the ball in Floyd's no hitter).

Bob

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
You don't trade a slugger like Jim Thome for a back up catcher. You can get a back up catcher for much less. It is suggestions like these that makes me glad we aren't the GM's. Hopeful this was just to generate discussion.

That being said, I was wondering if there was someway we could Clement from the M's, as sooner or later we are going need a replacement for AJ.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)

I think Thome is cheating most of the time on fastballs because he can't catch up. Unfortunately that means when gets those hard breaking balls he has no chance. This is a better team with Dye batting 3rd.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 12, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
That being said, I was wondering if there was someway we could Clement from the M's, as sooner or later we are going need a replacement for AJ.

I wouldn't mind getting Olivo back, just for his arm. Too bad he's on an in-division non-contender.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 12, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
I think Thome is cheating most of the time on fastballs because he can't catch up. Unfortunately that means when gets those hard breaking balls he has no chance. This is a better team with Dye batting 3rd.

I think Thome swings and misses a lot. I also think when he's going bad, he swings and misses even more. He's going bad. Given him a week or 2 and he will be on fire again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 12, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
I think Thome swings and misses a lot. I also think when he's going bad, he swings and misses even more. He's going bad. Given him a week or 2 and he will be on fire again.

So basically Jim Thome is a more skilled version of Juan Uribe :lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)

Jeff Clement is more than a backup catcher. He's the type of guy you could potentially build your lineup around for a number of years. However, with AJ here it makes thing a bit more different. You could have Clement play some first and let Paulie/Dye DH more.

If the Mariners would do a Thome for Clement deal I would make it in a heart beat because the Sox would be getting another potential cornerstone/franchise player. There are obviously no guarantees that Clement pans out, but he fills a major need (The sox could also move AJ from catcher since Clement has better defensive upside, however, AJ's offensive value is really related to the fact that he plays catcher).

The Sox could also trade Thome for Clement and swing AJ elsewhere, however, I think Kenny/Ozzie really likes the way AJ handles the rotation and fits into the clubhouse.

This is all in hypotheticals but from a value standpoint I have no problem with a Clement/Thome deal because it nets the Sox one top notch prospect (albeit I don't consider him a lock to be a perennial all-star, but the potential is there).